Rattling upon acceleration

kburns

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4 Door
Jesus... Please keep us updated. Was your noise constant or was it in low RPM like ours?
I will. Still waiting for them to call me that its fixed as of 6/29/2019. It happened as soon as it turned on and was idling. rev the engine the sound went away. Only when idling. Sounded horrible
Sponsored

kburns

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4 Door
Cracked flywheel it was! So the bolts holding the flywheel were loose and it just cracked on its own from running. Crazy!

Duran2019

First Name
Osbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
So, I took a video and if you have the volume up and/or wear headphones you can clearly hear the rattle/knocking or whatever it is. My JL has been doing this since the I got it, but didn't notice it for awhile, because I always had the radio on. You can hear right at the start of the video for a second, then at 12-16 seconds and then 28-42 seconds. It does it consistently, but I can sustain it around 30-34mph when it has settled into gear and gently press the gas (that is 28-42 seconds at about 34mph) If anyone that hears it can tell me if you JL does the same or if you know what the problem is that would be great. I am about to schedule a trip to the dealer. Thanks!
Your video sounds exactly like the issue I was having on my 2018 JLU Sport. Would hear it on and off specially on lower speeds (10-25mph) while engine was at low RPMS and running warm. At first dealer said they could not replicate but they "checked" the heat-shield anyway and I was told everything appeared to be tight and secured. I had to test drive it with them to replicate the noise. Dealer thought it was "Engine Ping". After 3 days they call me and say they are back to the "Heat-shield theory", but could not find which one so they decided "removed all the heat-shields" (dealer didn't specify which ones) Technician re-installed them all.

I have had my car back for 5 days and have not been able to hear that "rattle" from under. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Duran2019

First Name
Osbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Your video sounds exactly like the issue I was having on my 2018 JLU Sport. Would hear it on and off specially on lower speeds (10-25mph) while engine was at low RPMS and running warm. At first dealer said they could not replicate but they "checked" the heat-shield anyway and I was told everything appeared to be tight and secured. I had to test drive it with them to replicate the noise. Dealer thought it was "Engine Ping". After 3 days they call me and say they are back to the "Heat-shield theory", but could not find which one so they decided "removed all the heat-shields" (dealer didn't specify which ones) Technician re-installed them all.

I have had my car back for 5 days and have not been able to hear that "rattle" from under. Hope this helps.
Sorry I lied. I’m back at the dealer. Called Jeep support to help dealer troubleshoot.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
So, just a theory. I think my dealer may have been putting the wrong oil in the last two oil changes. Any of you change your own oil having this issue? I just changed it myself and refilled with 0w20 Pinzoil Platinum with a K&N filter and have had zero rattle noise. Also, when I drained the old oil, it looked a little thick. We'll see if it lasts.

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So I've tried the higher octane gas recommendation with really no success. Just wanted to add that as a datapoint to this community. Looks like Duran2019 had luck with reinstalling heat-shields. Anyone else had luck with that?

Wait, never mind. I see that the issue is still persisting.

Last edited:

Duran2019

First Name
Osbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
So I've tried the higher octane gas recommendation with really no success. Just wanted to add that as a datapoint to this community. Looks like Duran2019 had luck with reinstalling heat-shields. Anyone else had luck with that?
Sorry for the miss information. I spoke too soon. The heat shields re install did not work. I was told to us two full tanks of octane 92 as well. I haven’t had the chance to test.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Can anyone follow up with if they are changing their own oil and what weight/brand they are using? I haven't had an issue since I changed my own oil with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 with a K&N filter.

Sponsored

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Can anyone follow up with if they are changing their own oil and what weight/brand they are using? I haven't had an issue since I changed my own oil with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 with a K&N filter.
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and mopar filter. Did 4 oil changes so far. I still hear rattling noise. I tried 2 tanks of 91 octane. It only helped a bit. I believe it's the tune issue like other member said. It's freaking annoying.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
ive done a few of my own oil changes also with pennzoil platinum with the mopar filter. no effect on the preignition. going to try amsoil next.

calman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Any updates to this thread? Dealership utterly useless. They put a few clamps on the muffler assembly insisting the rattle was coming from muffler vibration that is... wait for it.... "normal". I have otherwise run many tanks of premium fuel but the rattle persists. Any new info would be appreciated.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Any updates to this thread? Dealership utterly useless. They put a few clamps on the muffler assembly insisting the rattle was coming from muffler vibration that is... wait for it.... "normal". I have otherwise run many tanks of premium fuel but the rattle persists. Any new info would be appreciated.
I've been running BP midgrade and it helps a lot. Doesn't completely stop it. It's a tuning issue that is going to require a recall or a TSB with new tuning. The dealers aren't going to be able to fix this without corporate support. This is very frustrating @JeepCares