Sponsored

Rain Noise @ Firewall

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Every time it rains I hear what sounds like rain drops hitting the back side of my firewall. Only does it when I am moving when it is raining. Anyone else experience this or have any idea what it could be? Jeep isn’t leaking any where.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Someone else mentioned this also. They thought it was loud when rain hits the plastic panel near the wipers.

OP
OP
Swanny297

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Someone else mentioned this also. They thought it was loud when rain hits the plastic panel near the wipers.
That could be where it is coming from just doesn’t make sense I only hear it when I am moving - maybe it is because it is hitting it harder I don’t know.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
That could be where it is coming from just doesn’t make sense I only hear it when I am moving - maybe it is because it is hitting it harder I don’t know.
I drove it for the first time in the rain today and there is definitely a noise, could not identify where it was coming from, but it only happened at speed.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I’ve put plenty of miles while raining and there is no noise. So I say it’s not normal.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I hear the noise when it rains. I have a sport. Possibly different material piece for sports?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve put plenty of miles while raining and there is no noise. So I say it’s not normal.
It is like a more intense rain sound when moving at speed (above 35), I do not think it is anything wrong, but it is definitely a different sound than rain hitting the Jeep standing still.

Nick Haayer

First Name
Nicholas Haayer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR on order
i just heard that last night while driving in the rain. At the stop light,no sound, started moving and begins to sound like rain hitting a "tin roof". It does seem to be coming from the area in front of the windshield. Very odd.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I thought this was just my Sport, weird almost metallic sound from the windsheild, when it rains.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought this was just my Sport, weird almost metallic sound from the windsheild, when it rains.
Interesting, I thought it had something to do with the Rubicon hood. Now I am really curious about what this is. How did Jeep not catch this during all the test driving they did?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Do you think rain is falling through the hood grill near the wipers and directly on the firewall while driving?

Could it just be the rain hitting the plastic hood grill near the wipers at greater force while driving vs at a stop?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pretty sure it the acoustic windshield. Sounds like rain on a tin roof to me.
But I don't have the special windshield and I hear it as well.

TrendyGuy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I heard this for the first time today while driving. Whenever the car was moving, no matter the speed, the noise started. At a stand still it completely went away.

OP
OP
Swanny297

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Do you think rain is falling through the hood grill near the wipers and directly on the firewall while driving?

Could it just be the rain hitting the plastic hood grill near the wipers at greater force while driving vs at a stop?
I am thinking it has something to do with the grill in front of the windshield - next time it rains I am going to cover the grill with a pieces of cardboard and go for a drive - hard to diagnose since it seems like we all only hear it when we are moving and it’s raining.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Drove yesterday in the rain and my wife says, "Why does it sound like rain hitting a tin roof in here?" Whomever said it earlier, was spot on. I guess it could be the plastic, def. the windshield area.
Sponsored