water on passenger floor after rain

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Update for this thread: dealer replaced the ‘windshield to cow’ seal.

Hopefully this repair will resolve the water leak that ends up in the driver foot well.

My original post on this issue is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-jl-water-leak.53993/

Fullstop: We have not had a super heavy rain for a “full on” test but no leaking in moderate rain yet...

I can you, the source of this leak was not found until I pulled the side dash trim and trims under the steering wheel and driver speaker/headlight control module.

It took my persistence to identify the area of the leak after the dealer had been throwing darts in the dark for months... to their credit they had already replaced the driver door gasket, all gaskets associated with the freedom panels, replaced the driver freedom panel and then finally the windshield to cow part as shown in the picture.

The tricky thing about this leak is the water was coming in about two inches to the right of the driver a pillar and then dribbling down the left side of driver side compartment and under the floor mats (carpet has been out since April). I’d open the driver door, no water or a few drips on the mat and an inch of water in the foot well.

Hope others with difficult to diagnose leak issues make some headway... the next good rainstorm will be an indication as to wether or not this fix solved the problem.

4AA54222-F671-41A8-B425-0C229DB39D20.jpeg

Advertisement

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Update for this thread: dealer replaced the ‘windshield to cow’ seal.
That's positive news so far, Greg! Now, hopefully sean.lunch has the same outcome for the passenger side (sounds very likely he will) and we can put this to bed! It also looks like you got a slightly newer version of this part, the last one I saw was "-AB" and you got "-AC." I wonder if there was an issue with the AB version 🤔

Appreciate the updates, and crossing my fingers for Sean as well

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also think it's funny that the service tech wrote "cow" (instead of cowl) on the diagnosis form multiple times. 🤣 If there is a cow near the windshield, no wonder we all have leaks!

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yes, dealer had me convinced the was a cow involved! Best wishes to all. Let’s be thankful for what we have going into 2021. Fingers crossed and prayers!

OP
Sean.Lunch

Sean.Lunch

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S
update:

jeep went to the dealership on December 30th and I got a call about 5 hours later stating that a fella by the name of “the water doctor” had found the leak and fixed it. He said the mucket seal had come unseated and it looks like he glued it back and put some RTV around where the two plugs in the mucket seal are. It’s rained two out of the last three days here and so far it looks ok. I will continue to monitor for leaks of course.

anyone have any thoughts on them gluing it instead of replacing?

thank you all so much for your insight.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update:

He said the mucket seal had come unseated and it looks like he glued it back and put some RTV around where the two plugs in the mucket seal are. It’s rained two out of the last three days here and so far it looks ok. I will continue to monitor for leaks of course.

anyone have any thoughts on them gluing it instead of replacing?
Well, if it's fixed I would say that's awesome! ... and, honestly, if it saved them from unbolting the windshield, applying more butyl and replacing the whole thing that might actually be better. If you know "what" he did to the seal (other than the RTV around the plugs) it would be great to know and I'll also give it a try. Not sure what he means by the mucket seal coming unseated...

Thanks for the update!

Advertisement

PSC Motorsports

Advertisement