Quick removal bolts for hardtop

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I purchased the GPCA bolts . My question is how tight do you make them? One turn after they become snug?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RNJeeper

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
I purchased the GPCA bolts . My question is how tight do you make them? One turn after they become snug?
Pretty much as tight as you can but still able to get them off relatively easy with your hands or else that defeats the purpose

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the GPCA bolts? My toplift pro is coming Thursday and I want to get some quick release bolts for the hardtop .

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the GPCA bolts? My toplift pro is coming Thursday and I want to get some quick release bolts for the hardtop .
I like the GPCA bolts (right), but they sit a bit higher than the Kentrol bolts (left). The GPCA's have the optional D-ring kit, but they both have enough height to allow you to secure straps, bungee cords, etc. if you had or wanted to. I ride with the Kentrol bolts, but they're both of equal quality. The Kentrol bolts look better (to me) and sit lower, and I like the ergonomic design...they're 3-pronged and give me a more comfortable grip to twist them. I can't believe I used "ergonomic" in a sentence.

Quick_release.jpg

http://www.kentrolinc.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=446&idcategory=139

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Tops/Ke...8.aspx?t_c=75&t_s=508&t_pt=8334&t_pn=KEN70008

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Necrothreading 'cause this doesn't deserve it's own thread. Anyway, for some reason electrical connectors hate me. Whenever anything is supposed to just depress, click and slide apart I can promise you IT WON'T for me.

Such was the case on my hardtop electrical connector. I had to use a small straight blade screwdriver to pull the red tab down, then I could not depress it enough for the life of me. I was able to use these Lisle pliers, and they worked beautifully. The connector even has a groove for the backside jaw to engage.

I'm a tool junkie so I like stuff like this
https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-37160-Disconnect-Pliers/dp/B0719JQ51K

IMG_20200828_115832919.jpg

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Necrothreading 'cause this doesn't deserve it's own thread. Anyway, for some reason electrical connectors hate me. Whenever anything is supposed to just depress, click and slide apart I can promise you IT WON'T for me.

Such was the case on my hardtop electrical connector. I had to use a small straight blade screwdriver to pull the red tab down, then I could not depress it enough for the life of me. I was able to use these Lisle pliers, and they worked beautifully. The connector even has a groove for the backside jaw to engage.

I'm a tool junkie so I like stuff like this
https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-37160-Disconnect-Pliers/dp/B0719JQ51K

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick removal bolts for hardtop IMG_20200828_115832919
Holy smokes, I can't tell you how much I struggle with this too, both the hardtop and the front doors. As a tool junky myself, is this tool the fix?

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Holy smokes, I can't tell you how much I struggle with this too, both the hardtop and the front doors. As a tool junky myself, is this tool the fix?
Where were you a year ago? I watch videos where it comes off in a breeze then I go to do it and swear that it was super glued. Just ordered those pliers from your recommendation.

Thank you!

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Where were you a year ago? I watch videos where it comes off in a breeze then I go to do it and swear that it was super glued. Just ordered those pliers from your recommendation.

Thank you!
hahaha, it wasn't my recommendation it was @D60. Let me know how they work, I haven't ordered mine yet. Good luck!

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

I tried some of the knob style bolts, killed my wrists working them off, and kind of slow at that.
I ended up going back to the factory bolts and this little bugger. Since I always take the top off in the garage, with my tools handy, this makes it very quick and handy. Allows me to reach all the bolts from the rear of my JL.

ratchet.jpg

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I tried some of the knob style bolts, killed my wrists working them off, and kind of slow at that.
I ended up going back to the factory bolts and this little bugger. Since I always take the top off in the garage, with my tools handy, this makes it very quick and handy. Allows me to reach all the bolts from the rear of my JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick removal bolts for hardtop ratchet
this. I use my wife’s little 4v ryobi drill. I can’t imagine anything by hand is faster.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Jeep Wrangler JL Quick removal bolts for hardtop ratchet
Ditto, although I'm still running V1.0 of the Milwaukee ratchets. I just can't get behind the HUGE design of the new ones as pictured, although for the hardtop fasteners either style would work admirably.

I've got the XG Cargo bags so not needing to swing a ratchet behind them is a time saver.
Sponsored