Grade 8 bolts to frame for bumpers

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Jeep jamboree requires grade 6 or 8 bolts to attach bumpers to the frame. I saw someone’s 4-year old post saying they were turned away at a Jeep jamboree with LOD bumpers for using grade 5 bolts. Anyone know if this would be true or not?

I want to order LOD bumpers but want to avoid any problems down the road.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Paint the bolts black and say they are grade 6/8. They are mainly requiring tow points. Man I looked them up and that’s expensive. Don’t really understand why either. Have you joined a local Jeep club?

Brett

OP
OP

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I have done a couple rides locally through meet ups. Fun times!

Thanks for the info on the bolts. I have never heard of this and seems very specific for them to check so closely.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Go to the hardware store and grab some grade 8 bolts

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paint wont' cover up the markings.

OP, just buy grade 8 bolts (no such thing as grade 6). It's not a big deal.
My bumper came with the bolts already in the bumper and would be a nightmare to replace. If they are charging you $800+ for a weekend trip and crawl around your rig only to send you down the road for not having grade 8 bolts, they can screw for. What a racket. If they send you away, you don’t get a refund.

Brett

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must be a very complex bumper design for that to be the case. Not disagreeing with you...just don't know why they'd make a bumper that way.
Naw just China made DV8. It had 3 studs and you thread in one bolt. Thing is pretty stout with 3/16 and 1/4 construction but time will tell. Only thing I don’t like is how the winch mount isnt reinforced as much as I would’ve liked.

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jeep jamboree requires grade 6 or 8 bolts to attach bumpers to the frame. I saw someone’s 4-year old post saying they were turned away at a Jeep jamboree with LOD bumpers for using grade 5 bolts. Anyone know if this would be true or not?

Does everyone use grade 8 bolts to mount there

• Front and rear tow points must be properly mounted to the frame with grade-eight bolts.
  • Drawbars, receiver hitches, or aftermarket bumpers with manufacturer-installed clevis or D-ring anchor points are acceptable alternates to tow points. If you don’t have tow points, you may be turned away without a refund.
LOD tow points at least on my full width are welded D-ring anchor points. Doesn’t mention anything about your bumper being secured with grade 8, just your anchor points. Just as an FYI my LOD bolts (winch plate and bumper) and nuts were grade 5 which is pretty common for most bumper manufacturers.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would only use factory bolts or grade 8 bolts. I wouldn't trust chinese studs on a hard recovery.....which is why they don't either.....the liability isn't worth it for them.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Does everyone use grade 8 bolts to mount there

• Front and rear tow points must be properly mounted to the frame with grade-eight bolts.
  • Drawbars, receiver hitches, or aftermarket bumpers with manufacturer-installed clevis or D-ring anchor points are acceptable alternates to tow points. If you don’t have tow points, you may be turned away without a refund.
LOD tow points at least on my full width are welded D-ring anchor points. Doesn’t mention anything about your bumper being secured with grade 8, just your anchor points. Just as an FYI my LOD bolts (winch plate and bumper) and nuts were grade 5 which is pretty common for most bumper manufacturers.
The tow points on the bumper must still be attached to the frame with grade 8 bolts. Therefore, the bumper must be attached using grade 8 bolts. It doesn’t matter if the anchor point itself is integral to the bumper if the bumper rips off of the frame.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gold zinc doesn't denote grade. The 6 hash markings do for grade 8. JFYI.
I get that. For tractor supply it does and that’s where I buy 99% of my hardware. Makes it easy to distinguish

Brett

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The tow points on the bumper must still be attached to the frame with grade 8 bolts. Therefore, the bumper must be attached using grade 8 bolts. It doesn’t matter if the anchor point itself is integral to the bumper if the bumper rips off of the frame.
So what is the purpose of the second bullet point?

My anchor points are welded to my LOD bumper which according to the second paragraph is an acceptable alternative to frame mounted tow points.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I get that. For tractor supply it does and that’s where I buy 99% of my hardware. Makes it easy to distinguish

Brett
The gold zinc coating is just an antibiotic corrosion layer, the only was to know is to look on the top and if it has 5 lines it's grade 8 sae threads or 10.9 for metric

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gold zinc coating is just an antibiotic corrosion layer, the only was to know is to look on the top and if it has 5 lines it's grade 8 sae threads or 10.9 for metric
Are you messing with me now?

Brett

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s 6 lines, 3 are grade 5, 6 is 8
Sponsored