Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
If you’re adamant about an auto tranny equipped Jeep I would choose the JL over the JK every time. The JL’s eight speed auto is leaps and bounds better than any auto ever previously offered in a Jeep.
I have the ZF 8HP-55 in my Audi and that thing is friggin awesome. I wish the previous owner had not followed the Audi kool-aide advise and believed in fluid for life so it was still original fluid when we got the car but its still running strong and smooth at 222,000 miles. I was very happy to read that the JL has the ZF trans as well in the -50 version. The 2 must be geared very differently though as the JL seems to hunt gears in hills where as the Audi does not. Power difference is very minimal so I doubt its just from 25 more HP.

I am not sure what Jeep says for change interval but its 80K according to what I have read on the ZF website. Every platform that has them seems to have a different idea on fluid though. German car enthusiasts will swear to you the gospel truth to use only ZF-Lifeguard fluid or AUDI OEM fluid. The Ram guys all swear by Maxlife. I buy parts from FCP Euro because of their lifetime return policy and they typically sell Ravenol or Pentosin.

But yeah if I can help it my days of shifting a manual are over unless I get another sports car.

Good to know the JK trans is not as good as a JL trans.

As for the Gladiator, just not a fan of them to be honest. If I ever get to where I need a truck I will get a Ford or Chevy truck. For now I have a trailer for all my heavy needs at the in-laws house and our JLU as a hitch already.
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Good to know the JK trans is not as good as a JL trans.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the JK auto tranny, it’s just the ZF is much, much better.

It’s like comparing an old school muscle car’s 4 speed tranny to the newer 5 and 6 speed manuals, nothing wrong with the 4 speeds but the 5 and 6’s outshines them all day long.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I'm not sure if the used market has calmed down from a year ago, but, last year at least, used JL's were going for more than they cost brand new. So maybe conditions are different now. But if you're considering a JL, it might be worth double checking the numbers on a custom order new one. Especially from one of the volume dealers that does under invoice pricing.

Might not be the right choice for you, but it might not hurt to see what it would look like as an option.

OP
OP
Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I stumbled on the Trail Recon video's yesterday, he seems to be a wealth of knowledge

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the JK auto tranny, it’s just the ZF is much, much better.

It’s like comparing an old school muscle car’s 4 speed tranny to the newer 5 and 6 speed manuals, nothing wrong with the 4 speeds but the 5 and 6’s outshines them all day long.
The Mercedes 5 speed auto in the 2012-2018 JKs was a good, reliable unit. It just wasn't on the same level as the current ZF. The 4 speed Chrysler auto in the 2007-2011s, with the 3.8, was a sluggish combo that was no fun to drive.
Sponsored