Sponsored

Buying a used JL today, opinions?

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
So I've wanted one of these for a while, joined the forum, spent hours and hours and hours reading on here. Drove to Moab and rented a Rubicon, did Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider Mesa. Wore out all the youtube channels. Went as far as getting a quote on a new one after going through those treads. I can order a new 2023 JLUR, Hardtop, cold weather, LEDs and tow package for $52k and some change. I don't care about the wait at all. It won't stay stock for long, I don't know exactly what I would do but a quality lift, 35s or 37s, bumpers, sliders, you guys know the drill somewhere between 10k-15k easily.

Forgot to mention hours and hours on FB marketplace and craigslist, so I came across this and like how its set up. It is the right motor and color for me, don't care so much for leather or advanced safety package BS but... Its four year old with 20k miles but I would be in it quite a bit less than a new one with a game changer lift and whatever rabbit hole I go down. The only thing I think this might need is 4.88s, that's another subject I know everyone, and their mother is running 4.10s and 37s. What do you guys think? I'll be on the road shortly this morning to look at it after a six hour drive.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
KBB private party very good condition is $50,871. Dealer trade in is $48,133. I understand extras don't increase the value. If you put 5k into a vehicle don't expect to get that out of it. That being said if you put 20k into a vehicle I can see it being worth 5k over blue book.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
That’s a chunk for a 4 year old vehicle, esp when you can get a new one with what you want for $4k Less. Also, please actually live with a Jeep for a while before you start making mods (unless you are just after the “look”). Any box stock Jeep is far more capable than most drivers, a Rubicon even more so. Newbies spend a literal ton of $$$ on stuff that isn’t needed for the driving they actually do. Get a Jeep and set it up for the way YOU will actually use it. You’ll be happier with your Jeep, it will suit You, AND you’ll save a ton of $$ that you can use to actually GO places and use your Jeep.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I think you're better off financially if you buy a new one... if you've read here, you've read about Gupton in Tennessee who goes 5-6% under invoice (~10% under MSRP)... used vehicles are selling at an all time high, and Wranglers aleady have the best resale value.

I'm toying with the idea of ordering from them and trading my '21 in because it won't cost me a cent to upgrade right now... I won't because I'm dumb and sentimental and I like mine... but I've ran the numbers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
A little bit about me. I'm in my forty's, been "off roading" most of my life. Had a trailer queen SAS Toyota, been to the Rubicon. I didn't just get the jeep bug and want a cool looking mall crawler; it will get used. Probably more exploring overland type stuff than the Rubicon but eventually it will go there. If I did get a new one, it probably would slowly get the extras to make it exactly what I want.

My quote at $52k new was about 9.5% under MSRP at Petersons in Nampa ID.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Wow, he's not kidding that he didn't spare any expense on his visit to TF. Long arms, and e-adjust.

Hard to tell, but steering appears to be stock. Stock driveshaft as well.

From the pictures, I would lean towards believing it hasn't seen a tough time off-road. No rock rash on the wheels and what I see of the undercarriage is clean.

Real question would be whether he's telling the truth on not using it as a TOAD. Best indicator may be the age of the tires, if they are a few years old by the date stamp, it's probably true. Those Pats won't take a ton of miles.

May still have the stock steering box, which may be something to budget for.

Seems like a great deal to get where you want to be in this market. I'd approach with caution, and just make sure it supports his claims in person.

EDIT: Of course worth a VIN search/carfax.

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
I see the value in all the extras here, it will cost me quite a bit more to add less to a new one. Not auguring, I want everyone's opinion I'm keeping an open mind here and apricate different viewpoints. 50k-60k is a huge decision for me to make. A lifetime of saving and being cheap has me in a place where I can afford that price range. I'm pretty sure I'm entering mid lift crises faze lol! Just a jeep instead of a sports car.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Super cool list of options.
Buy a new one. I did the same searching over two months and very surprised how capable the Rubi is in stock form. I added some do dads when ordering which mostly I could have skipped.
There is a dealer in Idaho that does 5% under invoice I think. I bought at Gupton in TN.
You do you though.

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
After talking with the owner on the phone I do believe him that it was never flat towed. That being said I don't know him and trust my own eyes over any stranger. Talking to him I get the feeling he is a straight shooter and decent guy. Apparently, he bought it a year or so ago from someone that works/worked for Teraflex. He hasn't had it offroad, but I do wonder the history if an offroad company person had it. Putting eyes on it in real life today will tell a lot more.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The other factor to consider (if it's important to you) is that the used one is out of warranty - anything that goes wrong with it, you're on the hook for it.

Ordering a new one would have a full 3 years of coverage.

I realize you're going to be swapping stuff out, BUT there are other things that can go wrong with a vehicle - internal stuff, etc.

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
I see the value in all the extras here, it will cost me quite a bit more to add less to a new one. Not auguring, I want everyone's opinion I'm keeping an open mind here and apricate different viewpoints. 50k-60k is a huge decision for me to make. A lifetime of saving and being cheap has me in a place where I can afford that price range. I'm pretty sure I'm entering mid lift crises faze lol! Just a jeep instead of a sports car.
The search is part of the fun. Enjoy man!

OP
OP

Buschman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Tacoma
I need to get ready to hit the road. Keep the opinions coming, thanks in advance. I have zero problems making a 6 hour drive and walking away from this. If 90% of you think I'm making a mistake I will definitely think twice.

I'll check in later thanks!!!

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
I would buy a new one instead. Hell, if I wanted a 4-door, I would order a new Recon, add a winch and be done with it.

That said, the used one you are looking at is well built. It's just too expensive, when you can buy a new one for the same money. I tend to order my Jeeps with very few options, so they are much cheaper than most used Jeeps. I don't care for leather, I wouldn't want the advanced safety nanny controls even if they were free. I don't want a power top, heated steering wheel, a television sized radio, next generation illumintad cup holders, or any of that fluff.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
MIne is my midlife crisis car as well. And I was totally intending to buy an old Porsche or Mustang, etc before COVID hit and effed up the market...

I do think the extras adds to the calculus... for me buying new vs used was an easy decision as I require no extras.
Sponsored