Buying Soon: Engine Option Questions...

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Hey All, long time reader, 2nd time poster...

I think I'm going to buy a JL. Also maybe considering the JT. But really considering the 3.0. What is the overall opinion of that? Besides the whole, new engine, potential long term issues, what are thoughts for overall use? I'm leaning towards the 3.0 because I'd be using it as a DD and driving 50-70 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. I just can't handle the 13mpg my JK got w/ 35's. And a couple YT videos I've seen show promising numbers even with 35's on, (22-25mpg on a 82 mile loop).

I would probably leam more towards "overland" style off road use and not as much mud/rocks as there just isn't tons of that (especially rock!) here in Michigan.

Opinions appreciated.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine you are referring to the 3.0 turbo EcoDIesel.

There was a time when I thought EcoDiesel was the best thing since sliced bread. But stupid pricing and a spotty quality record talked me out of it.

In an effort to address all the issues owners have had with this motor, FCA claims that 80% of the EcoDiesel parts are all-new. But judging by what EcoDiesel owners are posting, apparently this "new" diesel is just as problematic as it's always been.

When you consider the steep price of the diesel motor, the cost of gasoline vs diesel, the cost of oil changes on the diesel motor, the cost of DEF, etc., I fail to see the economics of opting for this motor.

If fuel economy is your key concern, the 2.0T appears to be cheaper to own than that diesel.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what someone posted about his EcoDiesel on another forum --edited for brevity:

"Well, my 2020 EcoDiesel is now in it's 3rd week in the shop. No solid ETA. I took it there in late July when it started dripping oil on my driveway and the front of the block was wet.
On the various forums and Facebook owner groups, I've seen everything from oil leaks to CAC hose failures to EGR failures to completely blown engines with metal shavings in the oil pan. So, it's starting to appear to me that the 3rd Gen engine with it's "80% new" construction is the same European garbage that we had before, and I'm becoming frustrated with it. I paid $5,000 UPCHARGE to get this engine and it's already let me down unlike any engine I've had before at such low mileage...
In addition to that, I don't think ...are doing a good job of explaining the real ownership cost picture with the EcoDiesel. Sure, you get a real world benefit of 5 miles per gallon. But, nobody mentions that diesel fuel is sold at only 50% of stations according to AAA and diesel is more expensive which wipes out all your savings. They don't mention that oil changes are 4X more expensive, there's a $40 fuel filter that also needs to be changed every 15,000 miles, and repairs take forever because parts need to come overseas. DEF is $20 per tank. You also have to alter your driving habits because normal highway driving does NOT produce the 650+ degree temps needed to naturally clean the DPF. Throttle response is horrendous because of the turbo and the exhaust components being used to control emissions. I think if the average consumer were made aware of how life truly is with the EcoDiesel they'd be less inclined to buy one.
I liked mine a lot before it let me down because I tow fairly heavy loads for a half-ton truck. But this will likely be the last diesel in my driveway. I'll gladly take the 5 MPG penalty to have a truck that I feel I can trust."
--WXman

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I imagine you are referring to the 3.0 turbo EcoDIesel.

There was a time when I thought EcoDiesel was the best thing since sliced bread. But stupid pricing and a spotty quality record talked me out of it.

In an effort to address all the issues owners have had with this motor, FCA claims that 80% of the EcoDiesel parts are all-new. But judging by what JL owners are posting, apparently this "new" diesel is just as problematic as it's always been.

When you consider the steep price to get the diesel motor, the cost of gasoline vs diesel, the cost of oil changes on the diesel motor, the cost of DEF, etc., I fail to see the economics of opting for this motor.

If fuel economy is your key concern, the 2.0T appears to be cheaper to own than that diesel.
With Aldo on this one. I was waiting for the diesel since Jeep first indicated they were going to offer it. Waited 2 years and when they finally announce it as an option, it is only available in the 4 door model (I wanted a 2 door). Anyway as Aldo mentioned the additional costs outweigh the fuel economy debate in my opinion. If fuel mileage is a main factor I'd go with the 2.0T - great engine. I have the 3.6 and average around 22-23 MPG combined. Rented several Jeeps with the 2.0T and was usually getting 24-26 MPG combined. All of them were stock setups.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
With Aldo on this one. I was waiting for the diesel since Jeep first indicated they were going to offer it. Waited 2 years and when they finally announce it as an option, it is only available in the 4 door model (I wanted a 2 door). Anyway as Aldo mentioned the additional costs outweigh the fuel economy debate in my opinion. If fuel mileage is a main factor I'd go with the 2.0T - great engine. I have the 3.6 and average around 22-23 MPG combined. Rented several Jeeps with the 2.0T and was usually getting 24-26 MPG combined. All of them were stock setups.
I have the 3.6 and get around 22-23 mpg as well. I really like the simplicity of the V6 and do not have the BSG as I have a 6-speed manual. I had concerns of the 48V system on the 2.0 when I was preparing to order. I have the opposite mentality as Mercedes "Why make it simple when we can make it complex".

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Fwiw, on my Sport S, stock tires, 3.6L auto, I'm getting around 25-26 mpg on mostly freeway runs. Mixed is about 21-23 depending on the actual mix. I keep freeway speeds under 75mph as wind resistance seems to be a big influence. Not 3.0 data, but real-world 3.6 if that helps.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I'm happy with my V6, getting 22.3 mpg over almost 5k miles with my 6MT. I do quite a bit of highway drives around 65-70 mph.

I am not a diesel fan and never have been - IMHO the drive style with lots of low end torque is more or less offered with the far cheaper 2.0T gas. The huge initial investment of the EcoDiesel isn't paid back for a long, long time. I think the cheapest overall cost is the base V6 because the premium that the 2.0 recommends has like a 70 or more cent per gallon price (varies on area) than regular and ends up negating much if not all of the additional fuel economy the 2.0T offers.

If you want the best DD and are fine with an auto, I think the 2.0T eTorque is probably the best overall package for driveability. The V6 eTorque seems less smooth on restarts so I think the 2.0T is better overall, if more complex. The V6 6MT is clearly the lowest overall cost of ownership and simplest powertrain with the V6 non eTorque auto being a close second. FWIW I'm very happy with how my V6 6MT drives.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Since it appears your buying the Jeep for the joy of driving a Jeep, you may as well enjoy driving it in it's most pure and enjoyable form, a manual transmission.

That makes engine options simple, 3.6 V6.

I originally disliked the missing low end torque of the v6, but found that a Centerforce clutch completely changes the engine and give it a diesel-like low end torque feel (and performance to a point).

I get 15 in mixed driving and on 37s. In the scheme of things, fuel economy is one of the most minute costs of owning a Jeep, with modifications being the most expensive part :D

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a JLUR and I am sure the stock 33's and 4.10 gears probably drop it a bit.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since it appears your buying the Jeep for the joy of driving a Jeep, you may as well enjoy driving it in it's most pure and enjoyable form, a manual transmission.

That makes engine options simple, 3.6 V6.

I originally disliked the missing low end torque of the v6, but found that a Centerforce clutch completely changes the engine and give it a diesel-like low end torque feel (and performance to a point).

I get 15 in mixed driving and on 37s. In the scheme of things, fuel economy is one of the most minute costs of owning a Jeep, with modifications being the most expensive part :D
I love having the manual and I am planning on getting the center force clutch based on all the great input from this forum.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
In my family, we have a JT, my JL with 2.0, a ED GC, and a few pentastars.

The ecodiesel drives phenomenally. However, the emissions stuff ruins the poor thing. At 30k-40k we had to clean the intake manifold cause the tumblers got stuck due to soot and the egr circulates soot from before the dpf. And then we had a coolant leak from the egr cooler. Also common for them to have oil cooler leaks or cam sprockets just start shitting the bed in the early builds.

My 2.0 albeit noisy has been amazing for 15k miles and the cost of ownership counting gas and maintenance is going to be substantially less than a 3.0 when you factor that you have to fill up the piss tank every few thousand miles.

Depending on your driving style, and commute i’d recommend the 3.0 if you have longer highway commutes so the damn thing can go through regen uninterrupted.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I drove a 3.0L GC over 100K miles with a long commute, never a single mechanical problem. Now I have a Wrangler 3.0L. I have since moved, the nearest WalMart is 45 min away so when we go to town it is driven a good ways. 8K miles so far with no problems, awesome power, especially for the mild towing I do with it. Would I buy it again? Well with the diesel being offered in the JT for me I would seriously have to think on that one ;)
If I were planning to keep a vehicle well beyond it's warranty, I would want something simpler. I am looking forward to the I-6 turbo Jeep is supposed to be working on, but for now I am very satisfied.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Your use case fits well with the diesel. I’m still driving a 2014 Ram with the previous gen Ecodiesel, and have not had the problems some people have. I have only about 60K miles so far. It was that driving experience that made me impatiently wait for an Ecodiesel to finally be offered in the Wrangler.

With less travel these days, I only have about 2300 miles on my Rubicon Ecodiesel. But so far I’ve been very happy with it. I’m at stock height (No lift I mean although the diesels do stand a bit taller) with 315/70/17 K02s and have been averaging between 25 and 26 mpg.

My wife has a 2018 JK Recon with the 3.6 which averages 18. That one has only the 5speed automatic. I’m amazed at the mpg some people report with the newer 8speed and the 3.6.

The 3.6 works just fine but I have more fun driving the 3.0. We tow a small camping trailer, and the diesel does it with no fuss, still using 8th gear at typical 60mph speeds, unless a moderate headwind or hill. The tach shows 1500rpm @ 60mph in top gear.

As far as transmissions go, the two 8speeds we now own are the only automatics I’ve driven that don’t bug me. They’re programming seems very good; making decisions to shift when I think it should. Historically, both my wife and I preferred manual transmissions.
Vern on the Ram forum, last I read, had over 1/2 million miles on the original trans in his gen2 Ecodiesel Ram.

Have fun with a new Jeep whichever engine you decide!
Sponsored