Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Although the Sahara should be sufficiently capable for what you want If it's in your budget I'd say go for the new vehicle.
For an extra 12k........
All the options you want
No questions (why'd the last guy get rid of that Jeep)
More capable Jeep
As stated, new Jeep warranty
That new car smell
It's "yours" from the beginning of its existence .
Sponsored

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 manual
I calculated about 56k sticker for the options you listed, I would say shopping around 49K would be easily findable (Don't know about finding punk'n). so by that math the sahara is around 37-38K. if you can afford it buy what you want. Buy once cry once! best advice in the jeep world

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
go with the Rubicon, you will regret it later if you donā€™t.
Every time you see one on the road will be a reminder.

Lot of used JLs on the market from trade ins, buy backs and lemon law. ?check the carfax as these need to be disclosed.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
It will definitely be a daily driver. No major rock crawling planned, although I do like the idea of knowing I can. Mainly just trails/beach driving in FL.
I daily drive my rubi and have never daily driven a Sahara. Maybe the Sahara is marginally better as a daily driver - i cannot imagine it is night and day vs. a rubi. I got the rubi because i knew if i got the Sahara Iā€™d drive off and regret it lol! It was the one I wanted. Like others have said make the dealerships fight it out tell the rubi dealership what the Sahara is selling for and make them belive its more about price for you than (the truth you want a rubi). Maybe theyā€™ll bring the price down. If not as you said the rubi is pretty much every thing you want. That is enough in my world to make a decision. You found what you want do -try to get a better price but know that if you dont get the rubi you really didnt get what you want :)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...Maybe the Sahara is marginally better as a daily driver - i cannot imagine it is night and day vs. a rubi. I got the rubi because i knew if i got the Sahara Iā€™d drive off and regret it lol! It was the one I wanted... just know that if you dont get the rubi then you really didnt get what you want
WISDOM!!! Preach it ā€˜teach!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Ok decided against the used Sahara. If Iā€™m trading in my 15 Sahara, I need to go with what I really want...not settle. Now I just have to decide between 2 rubicons. One is 3.6 and the other is 2.0. Too many decisions lol.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jen, I think you made the right decision. Had the Sahara been new then Iā€™d have recommended that. I have a stock Sahara and was all through the woods in upstate NY last weekend.
I have a 3.6 and am happy with mine although I read a lot of positive things about the 2.0 in this forum. I know with the 3.6 you donā€™t need high octane fuel. Iā€™m not sure about the 2.0. Can anyone chime in on the 2.0 octane needs? If the 2.0 needs higher octane then thereā€™s your decision. Here in NY itā€™s over 10 bucks a tank more for the 93 octane.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Ok decided against the used Sahara. If Iā€™m trading in my 15 Sahara, I need to go with what I really want...not settle. Now I just have to decide between 2 rubicons. One is 3.6 and the other is 2.0. Too many decisions lol.
I have the 3.6L in my JL and it was a no brainer for me because this engine has been around for a long time (have it in my wife's 2012 WK2) so it's very well tried and tested and been rock solid for us in 8 years of ownership of the WK2.

I had a different car with a 2.0T engine and it was recommended to use premium. Owned it for about 10-11 years and by the time i got rid of it my mechanic told me the turbo was in the early stages of breaking down. For as long as i am able to, i will prefer naturally aspirated engines over turbo ones.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
I'd never buy a used Jeep IMO. I've seen what people do to jeeps LOL. On facebook a guy was power washing his JLU's interior, the radio, dash, everything LOL.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 3.6 and am happy with mine although I read a lot of positive things about the 2.0 in this forum. I know with the 3.6 you donā€™t need high octane fuel. Iā€™m not sure about the 2.0. Can anyone chime in on the 2.0 octane needs? If the 2.0 needs higher octane then thereā€™s your decision. Here in NY itā€™s over 10 bucks a tank more for the 93 octane.
I have the 3.6 and love it - but it was the only way to get a stick shift anyway.

Back before I purchased my JLU I ran the numbers on fuel and it's basically a wash between the 3.6 and 2.0t after you factor in that while the 2.0t gets better gas mileage, that savings is negated by the increase in premium fuel price. Depending on how much you drive you may be more or less sensitive to fuel costs.

The 2.0 recommend premium but can use regular. I would never, ever put regular in unless I didn't have a choice, personally, because if the engineers wanted it to run on regular, they'd recommend it. It's probably fully capable of running regular with knock sensors and whatnot but just run premium and never worry about it.

OP - if you are looking at both engines you should probably test drive them to see if you prefer how one drives. Slight turbo lag but beefier lower RPM power may feel better than N/A but weaker lower RPM power. Only you can decide that.

Personally I'd lean toward the 3.6 since it's such a proven engine and I am generally skeptical of turbos (even though my wife's Forester has one and it's been phenomenal for the 65k miles we've put on it.

Sponsored

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Just real quick - Some here my disagree, but carefully inspect the underside. Have them put it on a hoist and look for damage from hard crawling etc... if it's beat up, I'd walk away.
--T

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
For those that picked between two...how did you decide? The 3 that I'm deciding on are not local. Two are about 4-5 hours away and one is 2. The two furthest away are Punk'n Rubis. One is 2.0 Turbo no Etourqe , body colored fender flares and top. Everything I want plus Cold Weather Package...yes I know I live in FL but I enjoy top off most of the time and the heated seats may come in handy :). The other one is V6 with everything I want, body colored fenders and black hard top. The third is my 2nd favorite color, GCM, 2.0 Turbo no Etorque everything i want plus cold weather package. In dealer conversations I can get all 3 for the price I'm comfortable with. I'm not opposed to new engines, but like the familiarity of the V6. Long term cost is a factor. I hate decisions when all 3 seem like a great choice.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you are partial towards the V6.

If you have a V6 on your shortlist, with all the options and in the color you want, Iā€™d focus on that one.

The V6 with the 8-speed automatic is a sweet combo.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For those that picked between two...how did you decide? The 3 that I'm deciding on are not local. Two are about 4-5 hours away and one is 2. The two furthest away are Punk'n Rubis. One is 2.0 Turbo no Etourqe , body colored fender flares and top. Everything I want plus Cold Weather Package...yes I know I live in FL but I enjoy top off most of the time and the heated seats may come in handy :). The other one is V6 with everything I want, body colored fenders and black hard top. The third is my 2nd favorite color, GCM, 2.0 Turbo no Etorque everything i want plus cold weather package. In dealer conversations I can get all 3 for the price I'm comfortable with. I'm not opposed to new engines, but like the familiarity of the V6. Long term cost is a factor. I hate decisions when all 3 seem like a great choice.
Distance shouldn't matter. I've done an 11 hour round trip drive in a day to get a particular car/deal. Personally I like that the 3.6 has been tried and true. Listen to your heart...or flip a coin. The moment you flip, you'll know in your heart which one you want most anyway ;).

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I bought my JL in MD (live in CT) because of the price (8% below invoice), but have also bought a different car (the E46) from far away (NC), and it was a fantastic experience. Had a lot of fun flying/driving down to get the car then driving back with the wife enjoying our time together in the new car. Honestly, whenever i buy cars in the future i want them to be from far away.
Sponsored