Sponsored

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Window sticker should tell you. Or look and see if it has CV joints with rubber boots instead of U-Joints.
Thanks!!! Just looked at the window sticker. It says "Command Track Part Time 4WD System". With some research I found the technical term as "NV241 Command-Track" which is a part time transfer case (low range ratio of 2.72:1) and comes standard on Sports and Saharas. However Saharas, not the Sports, can be optioned out to have the "MP3022 Select-Track" system which is a full time transfer case (low range of 4:1). The Rubis come standard with a "NV2410R Rock-Track" part time transfer case (low range of 4:1). All options have 2H, 4H, N, and 4L setting.

I don't plan on rock-crawling. Possible light to moderate trails at most so I'm thinking ill be fine with Command-Track.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a local 2018 Jeep Sahara with all of the options I want and a lot more (except the Tow/Aux package which I can add later) vs building a Sport S options I want. The price difference is minimal. I am torn between having a '18 vs '20.

Disclosure: I currently have an 18 that was in a wreck that the shop has told me it has a good possibility of being totaled just from a visual inspection. The current 18 must have been born on the correct date, as we did not have 1 issue with any of the common complaint.
My two cents for what its worth. As many have said before me...it depends on what you want to do with it. I actually just (as of two weeks ago) purchased a 2018 Sahara. My first Wrangler coming from a history of owning Lexus vehicles. I just wanted something different and the new JLs upgraded the wrangler lineup to where they became "modern". I was in. I got a 2018 Sahara with most of the options I wanted (8" screen, cloth seats, Alpine system, tinted soft top, painted fenders, remote start). It was technically a "used" vehicle at 151miles on odometer. So it came with the Jeep Certified 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty. It was one of the loaner vehicles that never got used. Because it was "used" I got a bit more off the asking price. I don't plan on heavily modifying the vehicle. Possibly a slight lift 1.5-2" at most, bigger tires, and then upgrading to the LED light package and I am set. I already contacted a guy on craigslist to get buy his Rubicon suspension for $100 (he had a rubi with the tow package so it should give me a nice 1.5" lift) and will also buy his rubi tires (KO2s).

The Sport trim, for me, was an option if I intended to do heavy modifications. Also the LED light package is a big deal for me and the Sport fenders are actually different then the ones that come on the Sahara and Rubicons, which are raised just a bit and house a larger turn signal/blinker. Meaning the OEM LED turn signals would not fit into to Sport fenders. The only thing I wish my Sahara came with, that it dosnt have, is the keyless entry and the LED light package. However I already purchased the OEM LED lights but the keyless entry I don't think can be put in.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you possibly elaborate on that? I don't see anything listed on Jeep's website about different suspension as part of the tow package. My JL has the tow package so I'm just curious. Thanks
I cant back this up with an stats but I did allot of reading on the forms and from what I can gather the springs on a wrangler with the tow package are stiffer to accommodate extra towing weight. I came across several posts where people purchased suspension kits from those who had Rubicons with the tow package and those that did not have the tow package and claim that after installation, the Rubicon tow package suspension gave their sports or saharas extra height over the none tow package springs. I am not saying this is fact...but if you search the form for "Rubicon Suspension" you will see it described a few times as I tried to explain above. With that being said, an OEM tow package suspension is more desirable then non-tow package. However you should expect a slightly stiffer ride.

germasian715

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I went with the Sport S. The colored fenders and bigger wheels were not tha big of a deal to me. Also, now that the LED pack is an option on the Sport S, I didn't need to go the next level up. I just went aftermarket for the side marker LED switch back bulbs from Diode Dynamics. Also the hitch and wiring from Quadratec was super easy to install.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The 18” wheels on the Sahara are a downgrade, imo. The graphite colored sport S wheels are the best oem JL wheels.

Leather and painted fenders are nice features, if they are equipped on the Sahara you are looking at. Real question is, why not buy a Rubicon if price is not an issue?

L8Knight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2018 Yukon Denali
If the Sahara has AWD and the LSD do it. Way better overall. Better brakes too.
I'm in Alberta. Hitting our first winfer now. I cant believe how good my Sahara is in the snow. I've had 3 75k trucks in the last 6 years and this roasts them all on snow and ice.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is no way I would ever buy a JL without the tow package. It’s a great deal for the upgraded alternator, the 4&7 pin plug, the hitch, and also, the aux switches.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The 18” wheels on the Sahara are a downgrade, imo. The graphite colored sport S wheels are the best oem JL wheels.

Leather and painted fenders are nice features, if they are equipped on the Sahara you are looking at. Real question is, why not buy a Rubicon if price is not an issue?
This.

Have you look at the Rubicon? it is worth the extra $$$ if you want to use the features (lockers, larger tires, slightly lifted, dana 44 front and back, heavy duty breaks, electronic sway bar disconnect, etc...) I personally don't think the Sahara is worth the extra $$$ at all.

In my case money wasn't an issue at all, I had the cash, no finance, no leasing, no fuzz. I went with the Sport because even though it spends a lot of time on the dirt it also spends a lot of time on the pavement, we don't have any other nice vehicle in my home so when we go out for dinner or go on roadtrips my wife and I take the Jeep, the other option is a base 2013 Corolla which is great for commuting but it is a very boring car. So my Jeep does see a lot of pavement

We camp, I hunt, and I do some off-roading when the itch hits. I don't need lockers and I don't like the electronic sway bar disconnect, so I disconnect manually, I also don't need 33in heavy tires. I did get the LSD with the nice goodyear ATs which is awesome, once that breaks I'll get rear lockers.

The Sport +S with the LSD was a perfect choice for us, very nice interior, great off-road capabilities and it is a great ride. And hey, saving money is always a good thing. When we eventually have kids I'll probably sell the corolla and buy a nicer car, at that point I can upgrade my Sport or trade it in for a Rubi. At that point i'd have my rubicon suspension installed and other goodies, so I might just go with bigger tires. But I would never consider a Sahara really.

If you want a comfortable Jeep the Sport +S will do as much as the Sahara will honestly. If you care more about performance, check out the Rubicon.

Sponsored

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This.

Have you look at the Rubicon? it is worth the extra $$$ if you want to use the features (lockers, larger tires, slightly lifted, dana 44 front and back, heavy duty breaks, electronic sway bar disconnect, etc...) I personally don't think the Sahara is worth the extra $$$ at all.

In my case money wasn't an issue at all, I had the cash, no finance, no leasing, no fuzz. I went with the Sport because even though it spends a lot of time on the dirt it also spends a lot of time on the pavement, we don't have any other nice vehicle in my home so when we go out for dinner or go on roadtrips my wife and I take the Jeep, the other option is a base 2013 Corolla which is great for commuting but it is a very boring car. So my Jeep does see a lot of pavement

We camp, I hunt, and I do some off-roading when the itch hits. I don't need lockers and I don't like the electronic sway bar disconnect, so I disconnect manually, I also don't need 33in heavy tires. I did get the LSD with the nice goodyear ATs which is awesome, once that breaks I'll get rear lockers.

The Sport +S with the LSD was a perfect choice for us, very nice interior, great off-road capabilities and it is a great ride. And hey, saving money is always a good thing. When we eventually have kids I'll probably sell the corolla and buy a nicer car, at that point I can upgrade my Sport or trade it in for a Rubi. At that point i'd have my rubicon suspension installed and other goodies, so I might just go with bigger tires. But I would never consider a Sahara really.

If you want a comfortable Jeep the Sport +S will do as much as the Sahara will honestly. If you care more about performance, check out the Rubicon.
According to posts and articles the Sahara should be the most comfortable ride...and it makes sense. Off the bat the Sahara comes with better tires, better breaks, and better suspension. I am not even including the standard interior options on the Sahara. If you spec out a Sport S with the options that come standard on a Sahara...you are coming extremely close in cost. One thing that no one mentioned in this post is the suspension difference between the three trims. The Sahara actually comes standard with heavy duty gas shocks...which the Sport, Sport S, and Rubicon do not have. Likely contributing to the more comfortable ride. This all comes down to personal preferences. All Wrangles are bad ass!!! For me, driving comfort is the #1 priority followed by great off-road capabilities when needed, like when I go on ski trips or to the sand dunes. In fact, I would almost go as far to say that I would only consider the Sport and Sahara trims. If you do get a Rubicon, for its true intention, then you will also change many parts out. So why do that to a Rubi when you can simply replace the parts on a Sport instead.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a definitive way to know if the sahara has the full time AWD? Would it be on the window sticker or an icon within the vehicle?
Option is Selec-trac Full Time 4wd system and will have a 4H Auto option on the t-case shifter
Sponsored