maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thanks for checking, everyone. This will be the first winter for us JL owners so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of complaints in the near future.

We had over an inch of snow last week and although I was pleased with the heated seats and steering wheel, I was disappointed with the half assed job of the windshield defrost.

JEEPJL, I don't think this is related because there is absolutely no airflow, hot or cold coming from the vents towards the ends.
Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for checking, everyone. This will be the first winter for us JL owners so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of complaints in the near future.

We had over an inch of snow last week and although I was pleased with the heated seats and steering wheel, I was disappointed with the half assed job of the windshield defrost.

JEEPJL, I don't think this is related because there is absolutely no airflow, hot or cold coming from the vents towards the ends.
Thanks , I'm curious to know what the resolve is

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If this is by design, the head FCA HVAC engineer needs to be fired.

How could Jeep mess this up so badly?

Is it a defect in an internal damper door or are the outboard vents only cosmetic?

Possibly file a complaint with NHTSA and Canadian equivalent. This just seems like a serious visibility safety issue.

I assume the entire windshield will eventually defrost from cabin heat but how long would that take, especially under severe conditions?

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

I confirmed that I have the same problem "feature" to my defrost. Disappointed with an obviously poor design execution. For documentation purposes I plan on flagging the problem with Jeepcares.

Reading from the owners manual... "Defroster: Check operation by selecting the defrost mode and place the blower control on high speed. You should be able to feel the air directed against the windshield. See your authorized dealer for service if your defroster is inoperable." This is not a dealer issue it's a manufacturing/design issue. Why should the buyer have to verify the defroster operation on a +$45K vehicle. Perhaps as first model year beta testers we should start getting paid seeing only those who buy vehicles in later years will benefit from our finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
My JL is my first Jeep but it seems as though the JK had the same issue as well? I found these hacks online to spread the airflow to the edges of the windshield.

DSC00600.jpg

defrostmod1sm.jpg

Of course the JL is different because it actually has a physical vent which stretches towards the ends. But I'm starting to think that it's just a cosmetic feature.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My JL is my first Jeep but it seems as though the JK had the same issue as well? I found these hacks online to spread the airflow to the edges of the windshield.

DSC00600.jpg

defrostmod1sm.jpg

Of course the JL is different because it actually has a physical vent which stretches towards the ends. But I'm starting to think that it's just a cosmetic feature.
The early JK dash only had center defrost vent. The updated JK dash has outward vents, but don’t know if they are functional. I believe they are.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
The early JK dash only had center defrost vent. The updated JK dash has outward vents, but don’t know if they are functional. I believe they are.
They are there for looks I guess, no one I have talked to say they work.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I’ve read one trick is to lower the sun visors to help redirect air back onto the rest of the windshield.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Maybe the side vents suck air in for recirculation?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Maybe the side vents suck air in for recirculation?
I think the only HVAC air intake is behind the glove box near the cabin filter.

I cant believe Jeep would install “fake” defrost vents. Please say it ain’t so.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
I think the only HVAC air intake is behind the glove box near the cabin filter.

I cant believe Jeep would install “fake” defrost vents. Please say it ain’t so.
I believe it is so, looked at 2 new on the lot yesterday and they do nothing on the outside as mine.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

DSC00600.jpg

defrostmod1sm.jpg

I took another look at the defrost exit vent and from the far left to the far right it appears to be one continuous trough with the defrost vent exit in the middle portion about 2 - 3 inches down. Seems like the only thing missing is an air plenum placed at that exit area to direct the flow into the sides of the trough and across the entire exit area and onto the windshield.

Tdizz11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Discovered this yesterday on the JL I picked up this week. Has anyone driven the JL in winter yet? The JK windshield vents were stupid and the wipers always froze. Why do we have vents that do nothing?
Sponsored