Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I am going to wait for the mid-cycle refit of the JL before purchasing one.
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I ended up cutting my felt vent blocker in half. That way, I can leave a small gap open in the middle of the windshield while the majority of the hot air is deflected to the left and side sides. The felt is heavy enough not to be blown out and does not slide either.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Let me guess...

The 2020 Jeep JL Cold Weather package will come with heated seats, heated steering wheel, and a piece of kydex which clips into the center vent when you or your passenger can't see straight ahead.

glenville

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Having the same issue....sounds like its time to make a youtube video so the problem is more known throughout the jeep communities and FCA understands how this is a pretty big issue....My wife was driving the jeep the other night with my 2 kids and was really having a hard time seeing out the window because of this issue....

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Having the same issue....sounds like its time to make a youtube video so the problem is more known throughout the jeep communities and FCA understands how this is a pretty big issue....My wife was driving the jeep the other night with my 2 kids and was really having a hard time seeing out the window because of this issue....
Yes, and report it to NHTSA with links to video and this thread. Definitely a safety issue that needs to be reported and addresses by FCA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Same issue here with a 2018 Rubicon and Moab.... have a 2019 2 door coming in this week (fingers crossed) and I bet it's gonna need kydex as well.

Very interested if anyone develops a manufactured insert.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same issue here with a 2018 Rubicon and Moab.... have a 2019 2 door coming in this week (fingers crossed) and I bet it's gonna need kydex as well.

Very interested if anyone develops a manufactured insert.
FCA will need to redesign the HVAC windshield defroster vent outlets to redirect more hot air on to the windshield

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Please tell me that I don’t have to do this to a a $42,000 Wrangler so that I can see out the windshield
I'm not sure what price has to do with it. I don't want to have to do this on a $40,000, $35,000, or even a $20,000 vehicle. This seems like a duct work design defect and needs to be corrected, regardless of the price of the vehicle. This would be a safety issue on ANY vehicle.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what price has to do with it. I don't want to have to do this on a $40,000, $35,000, or even a $20,000 vehicle. This seems like a duct work design defect and needs to be corrected, regardless of the price of the vehicle. This would be a safety issue on ANY vehicle.
Agreed. This is an engineering flaw that I hope gets resolved before the mid cycle refit.

Sponsored

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
My 2019 JL Rubicon has the same issue. Air just blasts out the middle part, cover the middle with a glove and the sides get all the air. As the vent is made up of multiple horizontal squares I am thinking of finding something to plug a few of them, off to Home Depot

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thanks for the input, Ryan. Interesting to know the 2019's also have this issue.

Out here in the Rockies, the temperatures have dropped into the -20's and it's becoming quite a pain in the ass. My center vent has basically become a mitten warmer as I trade warm mittens for clear visibility out the windshield.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Thanks for the input, Ryan. Interesting to know the 2019's also have this issue.

Out here in the Rockies, the temperatures have dropped into the -20's and it's becoming quite a pain in the ass. My center vent has basically become a mitten warmer as I trade warm mittens for clear visibility out the windshield.
This is totally unacceptable, and is a serious safety issue. Jeep needs to re-design the defrost duct work NOW!

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL

I have been messing around with a few options and I have determined that stoppers or plugs will solve the problem. If you divert, aka plug, about 80% of the center holes, leaving the 4-6 dead center open, the rest of the air pishes to the sides. I know its not ideal and Jeep should fix it but i am not waiting. I will be buying some rubber stoppers, think beeker tops, size #3. You can twist them right into all the square holes of the vent. Because they are rubber they are not going to burn and they are friction fit so no bouncing out ir rattling. Also I can pull them out immediately if Jeep gets it sorted. Just one guys solution

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Maybe we can tell jeep informant about it and he can make a video and get the issue noticed.
He told me that he's going to greatly reduce his work on YouTube for personal reasons. I noticed that he's already slowing way down on content that he puts out.

This thread has me curious. I'm going to go outside and check mine this afternoon.
Sponsored