Sponsored

Pulled over by State Trooper! LEDs too bright?

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
I'm just waiting for this to happen to me. If an officer pulls me over cuz my "high beams" are on, this becomes an entirely different thread. :involve::cwl:;)
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I'm just waiting for this to happen to me. If an officer pulls me over cuz my "high beams" are on, this becomes an entirely different thread. :involve::cwl:;)
I’m gonna behave myself on that one :lipssealed:

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
I am a state trooper in Oklahoma, and also a JL owner...I get bright lighted when meeting vehicles all the time, they are awesomely bright and may be close to the edges of DOT regulations but they couldn’t be sold in North America without DOT approval so you really shouldn’t have anything to worry about....you might get stopped but hopefully they will get used to seeing them in the near future...until then...ugh
Unfortunately, the U.S. is woefully behind most civilized countries when it comes to motor vehicle light regulation. We have never adopted the European vehicle lighting safety standards for whatever reason and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; a unit of DOT), which is responsible for U.S. rules on vehicle safety (thru the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), seems very reluctant to improve vehicle lighting safety in this country. Headlights are either low beam or high beam. Period. Adaptive driving beams (ADBs)(Google them), which are utilized throughout the world, but banned in the U.S., would greatly improve vehicle and pedestrian safety.

Why the U.S. still remains in the dark on this (pun intended), when the rest of the motor vehicle world is advancing vehicle lighting safety is, frankly, astonishing. As one example, Europe, requires that cars must be equipped with side-mounted turn signal "repeaters" to make the turn or lane change indication visible to the sides of the vehicle rather than just to the front and rear of the vehicle as required in the U.S. This has proven to reduce side collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians. Accomplished by a light tied into the vehicle turn signals and mounted generally aft of the front tire on either the fender or the outside mirror, it clearly indicates (180 degrees) the driver's intent to turn or change lanes. While more and more U.S. vehicles are installing these, it is not because of federal government requirements, but rather because manufacturers export many of these vehicles abroad and want them compliant for sale there or just because the competition is doing it, so they are doing it. Which begs the question why U.S. spec'd JLs don't have them. Some of you will recall that particular mirror light on early JL photos and it has been commented on several times here in the forum. We were told it was only for the export market. Really. Why?

And as for the fender-mounted turn signals (DRLs as I call them), they are apparently more regulated for visibility than light power. In Wisconsin, for example, as long as the turn signal is "plainly visible and understandable from all distances to 300 feet during normal sunlight," they are good to go. Wis. Stats. 347.15(2).

And one last comment about my brothers in blue, police officers stopping vehicles during the day are seldom hunting for drunks or looking for the free toaster from the quota of the month club. They are simply doing their jobs and what we pay them to do, ensuring the safety of the public. Remember, the officers haven't seen these vehicles any more (and actually, much less) than we have, so these bright, LED fender mounted lights (considerably brighter than the same-located parking/turn signals on my '05 TJ) are brand spanking new to the officers and as soon as they get comfortable with them, they'll back down and understand they are manufacturer-installed and not much can be done about them. And one other thing, cops love cars. The new JL is still a novelty, so some of these officers may simply want a peek or a comment about them from you. Be nice to them. And for you in blue, be safe...

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, the U.S. is woefully behind most civilized countries when it comes to motor vehicle light regulation. We have never adopted the European vehicle lighting safety standards for whatever reason and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; a unit of DOT), which is responsible for U.S. rules on vehicle safety (thru the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), seems very reluctant to improve vehicle lighting safety in this country. Headlights are either low beam or high beam. Period. Adaptive driving beams (ADBs)(Google them), which are utilized throughout the world, but banned in the U.S., would greatly improve vehicle and pedestrian safety.

Why the U.S. still remains in the dark on this (pun intended), when the rest of the motor vehicle world is advancing vehicle lighting safety is, frankly, astonishing. As one example, Europe, requires that cars must be equipped with side-mounted turn signal "repeaters" to make the turn or lane change indication visible to the sides of the vehicle rather than just to the front and rear of the vehicle as required in the U.S. This has proven to reduce side collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians. Accomplished by a light tied into the vehicle turn signals and mounted generally aft of the front tire on either the fender or the outside mirror, it clearly indicates (180 degrees) the driver's intent to turn or change lanes. While more and more U.S. vehicles are installing these, it is not because of federal government requirements, but rather because manufacturers export many of these vehicles abroad and want them compliant for sale there or just because the competition is doing it, so they are doing it. Which begs the question why U.S. spec'd JLs don't have them. Some of you will recall that particular mirror light on early JL photos and it has been commented on several times here in the forum. We were told it was only for the export market. Really. Why?
Just because Europe does something, it doesn't mean that we should. Instead of thinking that Europe is "more advanced", I think they are more repressive in that they mandate things that we allow the manufacturers to choose to implement or not. Unfortunately, we are all to willing to mandate things that we have no business mandating also.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I am a state trooper in Oklahoma, and also a JL owner...I get bright lighted when meeting vehicles all the time, they are awesomely bright and may be close to the edges of DOT regulations but they couldn’t be sold in North America without DOT approval so you really shouldn’t have anything to worry about....you might get stopped but hopefully they will get used to seeing them in the near future...until then...ugh
Isn't it possible to aim them lower ?

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Unfortunately, the U.S. is woefully behind most civilized countries when it comes to motor vehicle light regulation.
Europe is civilized ? Hahahaha . Bullfights ?
European and German diesel auto emissions software is ethical ? Hahahaha . VW has already paid out billions .
Tell us another good one , professor .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So, the lesson to be learned here is that if you have a new vehicle with lights that might be a bit brighter than are usually seen, it is probably not in your best interest to be doing things that might be questionable since the lights might draw undesired attention to yourself. For example, questionable things like smuggling illegal aliens / drugs, using illegal drugs, having a kegger while driving, exercising your 2nd Amendment rights in a anti-2nd-Amendment locale, etc... :)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Europe is civilized ? Hahahaha . Bullfights ?
European and German diesel auto emissions software is ethical ? Hahahaha . VW has already paid out billions .
Tell us another good one , professor .
Awh, the German auto emissions cheat is actually pretty funny and I have to admire the engineers for thinking outside the box. It really is now different than our CAFE standards (fuel economy testing) -- basically, here's what the test will be, you need to make a certain grade on it. It doesn't matter if this test does not reflect real world driving.

And, speaking of bullfights... LMAO...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/09/famous-one-eyed-matador-scalped-by-bull-in-gory-video.html

He might be "popular", but an argument could be made that is not not particularly "successful" in his bullfighting... :)

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
But they ARE too high , and DO look like high beams !

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

I guess these lights are that bright! Thought I'd share.
Might have been an excuse to pull someone over during the 4th of July fun. Glad he didn’t write you up, but I love those LEDs my sport didn’t have the option for fronts but I have the rear looks great.

Sponsored

Lindag8r

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

I guess these lights are that bright! Thought I'd share.
I have an Acura MDX with the jeweled LED lights. The JLUR’s lights are close to the MDXs. I doubt this trooper has been pulling over MDXs also. IMHO, he liked your rig and wanted a closer peek...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Nothing more dumb than seeing a long line of "cars" with turn lights on , all waiting for the left turn arrow , all in the left turn lane .

I have never seen "side collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians" , so why install all those lights "visible to the sides of the vehicle" ?

Is the pedestrian looking at his mobile phone going to walk into the side of the vehicle because it doesn't have a row of blinking lights on the side ? Don't make me laugh .

Sounds like the sort of "new ideas" the EU comes up with ; that Boris and Nigel laugh at .

"Why" ? Because they don't want to manufacture quality control welds , as they should be doing .

Last edited:

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
I don’t have LEDs and frankly my headlights suck. Can’t tel the difference between high and low but on coming traffic can.

VA stare police story.... I was taking my son and a few other VMi cadets back to VMI on 64 and I was following 10-15 car lengths behind a diesel F350 doing about 85 in a 65. I crested a hill and see the F350 hot the brakes, too late of course and I see the trooper in the median pull down the radar gun before he saw me but before I could get slowed down. He pulled out and motioned me over and pulled behind the F250 and wrote him a ticket.
He walks back to me and goes do you know the speed limit. I say of course 65...
He goes do you know how fast you were going? And then I had an epiphany.... he didn’t know cause he had pulled the radar gun down. He already had my license and was filling out the ticket. I said I don’t know.

He then asked, how fast do you think you were going? I replied I don’t know, I only know the speed limit is 65.

He asked seriously, how fast are you going?

I said I don’t know, do you? He disgustingly tosses my license into the car and said you saw I pulled the gun down before you passed me so no....

Stomped back to the car and takes off all
Pissed off..

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I got pulled over in the day time for the running lights on fenders being to bright. Thought i had after market light bars in fenders. No ticket after he seen they was factory and i told him to google new JLUR.
So bright in the day time that he had to LOOK away. LMAO !!!!!!!! I think he just wanted a excuse to check out your cool JL

Lion44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Do you have any suspension mods that would perhaps make them project at a higher angle? Big tires?
I thinks he just gets his kicks looking at beautiful jeeps. Doesn't give a crap about inconveniencing people.
Sponsored