Sponsored

Pulled over by State Trooper! LEDs too bright?

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
The Trooper may have also believed that the OP was using his high beams in traffic which is an actual traffic violation and not some "BS probable cause". VA Code 46.2-1034. His traffic stop was legitimate and fully legal.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Norfolk and Quantico, twice each, across a fairly wide number of years . . . so had chance to interact with VA cops both north and south and I believe your assessment is spot on.
I have a few relatives who are LEOs -- some are good guys, some are assholes... But, you can't choose your blood relations...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Trooper may have also believed that the OP was using his high beams in traffic which is an actual traffic violation and not some "BS probable cause". VA Code 46.2-1034. His traffic stop was legitimate and fully legal.
"Legal" and "moral" are two completely different things... At Nuremberg they tried that "just following orders" and "just doing my job" excuse and it didn't work for them.

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
Comparing a simple traffic stop to the Holocaust? HA! That genuinely made me laugh out loud. You're a funny guy.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing a simple traffic stop to the Holocaust? HA! That genuinely made me laugh out loud. You're a funny guy.
It's all a matter of degrees... Serials killers don't start out that way either... They start out with a single kill... There's even evidence to show that they start out even earlier with torturing and killing small animals... If someone blindly follows orders without regard to whether those orders, although "legal" are in fact "moral", they are setting themselves up to be held accountable for their actions at a later date when things change. Be that as it may though, we should not hold up our ancestors to the morals of today -- they should be judged by the morals of their time and area.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You and your words are wise .

Except I would add that the morals of our ancestors ought to have come from the same foundation , the Ten Commandments , and I am comfortable holding our ancestors to that same foundation . For example , if Lincoln knew right from wrong , then what was wrong with Custer ?
I would argue that Lincoln either did not know right from wrong or *chose* to do wrong since he raped the Constitution in his quest for his little war.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I would argue that Lincoln either did not know right from wrong or *chose* to do wrong since he raped the Constitution in his quest for his little war.
Good point , but I was referring to their treatment of native American Indians .

When Lincoln was a militia officer leading some troops in Illinois , they came upon a lone Indian riding along . Some of the fool troopers wanted to murder the Indian . Lincoln stopped them and allowed the Indian to pass freely .

Custer , on the other hand , led a force which came upon a large camp of Indians , Custer was preparing to murder them , and the Indians struck back decisively .

I think Custer knew right from wrong , and chose the immoral path . If Custer did not know right from wrong , then McNaughton would conclude Custer was insane .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good point , but I was referring to their treatment of native American Indians .

When Lincoln was a militia officer leading some troops in Illinois , they came upon a lone Indian riding along . Some of the fool troopers wanted to murder the Indian . Lincoln stopped them and allowed the Indian to pass freely .

Custer , on the other hand , led a force which came upon a large camp of Indians , Custer was preparing to murder them , and the Indians struck back decisively .

I think Custer knew right from wrong , and chose the immoral path . If Custer did not know right from wrong , then McNaughton would conclude Custer was insane .
One could argue that wars were fought differently back then and they did not try to minimize civilian casualties. But, when you think that you need to destroy an entire culture, are there any "civilians"? When there are no uniforms, it is a bit more difficult to separate the combatants from the innocent civilians. And, if the "innocent civilians" are supporting the actual combatants, does that not also make them a viable target? Difficult decisions even today... :(

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
One could argue that wars were fought differently back then and they did not try to minimize civilian casualties. But, when you think that you need to destroy an entire culture, are there any "civilians"? When there are no uniforms, it is a bit more difficult to separate the combatants from the innocent civilians. And, if the "innocent civilians" are supporting the actual combatants, does that not also make them a viable target? Difficult decisions even today... :(
Not so difficult : there is moral and there is immoral . Nero and Custer were immoral .

The whistleblower who tells the truth is moral , at risk of being fired by immoral bosses for telling the truth .

For example , in our time , Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson during Vietnam War . Finally was awarded the Soldier's Medal , for stopping the My Lai atrocity . Not so difficult for W.O. Hugh Thompson .

Last edited:

Sponsored

NorCalSahara

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I’m in the middle of a road trip from California to Wisconsin and for the past three nights on the highway I’ve been having people flashing their lights at me. I’m thinking they think I have my brights on. The LED lights are so bright that the reflective signs on the interstate are almost to bright when I’m passing them. Hopefully I don’t get pulled over.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not so difficult : there is moral and there is immoral . Nero and Custer were immoral . The whistleblower who tells the truth is moral , at risk of being fired by immoral bosses for the "crime" of telling the truth .
Now, speaking of torturing and killing small animals...

Just discovered something interesting on my back porch -- a dead raccoon and my dog is extremely dirty (i.e. white turned to brown), missing a bit of hair, and a few scratches here and there. Apparently she killed it and brought it back to us a s "gift". LMAO... I will have to say though... From the looks of the scratches around her face, neck, and such, the 'coon put up a pretty good fight...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’m in the middle of a road trip from California to Wisconsin and for the past three nights on the highway I’ve been having people flashing their lights at me. I’m thinking they think I have my brights on. The LED lights are so bright that the reflective signs on the interstate are almost to bright when I’m passing them. Hopefully I don’t get pulled over.
Yep , that is what the officer told the OP .

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I come back and we’re talking about the holocaust and Abe Lincoln? :cwl:
Sponsored