Sponsored

Pulled over by State Trooper! LEDs too bright?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I come back and we’re talking about the holocaust and Abe Lincoln? :cwl:
Yep, Lincoln was a pretty despicable bastard... He probably caused the Holocaust also... Damn Yankees...

And BTW, back then, it was the Republicans that were the liberals and the Democrats were the conservatives... The Democrats wanted to maintain the status quo -- a definitely conservative trait. The Republicans wanted to give rights to what was at that time considered to be merely *farm animals*. That's a pretty liberal idea...
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Bet he would have hated bright headlights too!:cwl:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... As a veteran, I have worked my share of holidays, it’s part of the job, as it is for him. ...
I hear ya brother. I've worked plenty of holidays, been away from home on my anniversary, missed family events, etc. We all know it (or should) when we raise our right hand and take the oath to serve. It's part of the job for every soldier, police officer, and fire fighter. The point was that the officer who stopped the OP was likely working because he had to, rather than as some desire to "mess with" people. Certainly not trying to imply that a cop shouldn't be working on a holiday. Sorry if that came off different than intended.

........I can say that both of them would chalk this up to enforcement for revenue.
How is it enforcement for revenue, when no charge was issued? There's no enforcement, nor fine.

The Trooper may have also believed that the OP was using his high beams in traffic which is an actual traffic violation and not some "BS probable cause". VA Code 46.2-1034. His traffic stop was legitimate and fully legal.
My point the whole time. Not a conspiracy, not a power trip, not anything shady. Just a traffic stop for a legitimate violation of law.

"Legal" and "moral" are two completely different things...
Agreed. However, what's immoral about making a traffic stop for a legitimate traffic violation?

Is it not in the public's best interest for an officer to stop someone whose high beams are affecting approaching traffic? In hindsight we know it wasn't his high beams, but the officer believed them to be, just like may other motorists who have flashed their lights at many members here. We can't judge the officer's action by 20/20 hindsight of knowing that they weren't the high beams. We must view actions with only the information the officer has at that moment. We can then consider the reasonableness of what he did with the information he had. [Ruled by the US. Supreme court: Garham v Connor]

One could argue that wars were fought differently back then and they did not try to minimize civilian casualties...
You are exactly right. How many civilians were killed, severely injured, or lives devastated by dropping 2 atomic bombs? War used to be fought a lot differently than it is today.

I’m in the middle of a road trip from California to Wisconsin and for the past three nights on the highway I’ve been having people flashing their lights at me. I’m thinking they think I have my brights on. The LED lights are so bright that the reflective signs on the interstate are almost to bright when I’m passing them. Hopefully I don’t get pulled over.
Has anyone adjusted the aim of these LED's yet? It's pretty bad when your lights are blinding you off of signs. I just got mine, so I've only driven my JL once at night so far, but this thread has me thinking I should check the aim before I do much more.

Now, speaking of torturing and killing small animals...

Just discovered something interesting on my back porch -- a dead raccoon and my dog is extremely dirty (i.e. white turned to brown), missing a bit of hair, and a few scratches here and there. Apparently she killed it and brought it back to us a s "gift". LMAO.....
Ha ha. I like how they "provide" for their poor humans. We have a blue heeler that will bring us the occasional possum. One time she, and her sister "caught" us a skunk. :puke: Gee, thanks..... I guess.

I come back and we’re talking about the holocaust and Abe Lincoln? :cwl:
Ah, the evolution of threads on forums. I do like that it hasn't turned into a name calling, childish argument. Not something that happens often online these days.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Bet he would have hated bright headlights too!:cwl:
Hated them? Heck he invented them, just to mess with people. You didn't know? :devil:

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Has anyone adjusted the aim of these LED's yet? It's pretty bad when your lights are blinding you off of signs. I just got mine, so I've only driven my JL once at night so far, but this thread has me thinking I should check the aim before I do much more.
So @Shots was the one who Finally hit the nail on the head !

Aim them downwards towards the logs and sinkholes . (NOT upwards towards eyes of on-coming traffic and police .)

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
However, what's immoral about making a traffic stop for a legitimate traffic violation?
However , in my opinion , @NavyVet1959 did NOT reference OP's equipment-warning traffic stop .

I remember when Los Angeles police motorcycle officers protested when a supervisor "encouraged" them to make a sort of numerical "quota" of violation tickets . The officers made a point about wanting to give warnings when appropriate , and not so many violation tickets unless warranted . This dispute was in the newspapers . They pushed back and won .

However , OP's traffic stop was a mere equipment-warning due to the brightness and aim of the JL headlights .

Last edited:

U.S. Marine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

I guess these lights are that bright! Thought I'd share.
Dan, I can picture that happening while wheeling through Va., the are strict when it comes to motor vehicle violations.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, I can picture that happening while wheeling through Va., the are strict when it comes to motor vehicle violations.
One thing that I've seen the LEOs in VA use is a charge of "public intoxication" against someone because they are not required to do a breath test for BAC on it and they are required to do it for DWI/DUI. Or maybe they just didn't like military guys back then.

"Sailors and dogs, keep off the grass!"

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
One thing that I've seen the LEOs in VA use is a charge of "public intoxication" against someone because they are not required to do a breath test for BAC on it and they are required to do it for DWI/DUI. Or maybe they just didn't like military guys back then.

"Sailors and dogs, keep off the grass!"
They were charging public intox, instead of DWI/DUI, on people who were driving? Wow.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They were charging public intox, instead of DWI/DUI, on people who were driving? Wow.
Yep, one of the guys in my division was pulled over and they asked him to walk a straight line. Since he hadn't been drinking (yet) that night, he felt slightly offended at the accusation, so he did a hand stand and then walked the line perfectly straight on his hands. The cop was not amused... No sense of humor...

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

I got pulled over in the day time for the running lights on fenders being to bright. Thought i had after market light bars in fenders. No ticket after he seen they was factory and i told him to google new JLUR.

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
I am a state trooper in Oklahoma, and also a JL owner...I get bright lighted when meeting vehicles all the time, they are awesomely bright and may be close to the edges of DOT regulations but they couldn’t be sold in North America without DOT approval so you really shouldn’t have anything to worry about....you might get stopped but hopefully they will get used to seeing them in the near future...until then...ugh

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE

Interesting, I have not had anybody flash their lights at me or say anything here in California. All I can say is Jeep can up with some nice lights.
Sponsored