Sponsored

Premium Soft Top Shrank? WTH?

dgoldenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I leased a JL with premium soft top back in August and they took the windows off/top down while at the dealer, and then I never put them back on because the weather was nice. It's finally cold outside and when I went to put the windows back on,, I couldn't get them to lock in. Either the pieces that wrap around the sides could be put in, or the snap in piece on the rear side/column could be put in, but not both. Popping one into place would pop the other spot out of place. The rear piece also seemed too small to get both sides to lock in, only one side at a time could lock in wrapped around the side piece.

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they could help me with it. The tech spent about 45 minutes trying to get the windows back on before he finally gave up. After talking with the service manager, they said if the soft top is off the car for an extended period of time, it can potentially shrink and not fit when you put it back on. It's currently at the dealer being looked at for a warranty claim, but it will be a few days before I hear anything back.

Has anyone else seen this before? Wtf kind of garbage "premium" top can't even be taken off the car for an extended period of time without becoming useless?
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My softop has stayed loose, but I am constantly installing/removing the panels due to rain. It also never REALLY gets cold in Houston.

My experience installing Trektops on JK's is that they are VERY difficult to install in the cold(especially when new.) If you let the panels sit outside in the direct sunlight or in a heated room it makes installation much easier.

OP
OP

dgoldenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I probably should have mentioned that I live in Las Vegas. It doesn't get that cold here either, lowest temp is about 35 degrees.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I have no experience with the soft top on a Jeep. However, I have a Softop pickup cover. Let me tell you that temp outside is a huge factor. Try again, when it is warm, sit it in the sun and try at the warm part of the day. It didn’t shrink... more like tightened.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The manual says the top will start shrinking folded down at 72 degrees or less and/or if it has been folded down for a long period of time. It doesn’t reference the windows shrinking too but they’re made out of the same stuff so they probably do too. Says to warm it up and pull gently to stretch it back. Maybe get out the hair dryer and heat the windows up.
Did you store them where they’d be less than 72 degrees for a while?

Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
My softop has stayed loose, but I am constantly installing/removing the panels due to rain. It also never REALLY gets cold in Houston.

My experience installing Trektops on JK's is that they are VERY difficult to install in the cold(especially when new.) If you let the panels sit outside in the direct sunlight or in a heated room it makes installation much easier.
This.
I'm new to Wranglers myself but my buddy has had them for a long time. One of the first things he told me about putting on my soft top is lay it in the sun to warm up because its nearly impossible to install cool or cold.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t installed the soft top on my JLU yet, but my preveious experience with a JKU is that you will not be able to install it below 70degrees. Try putting a space heater in your garage if possible to get the temp up. I know you said you’re in Vegas, but if it’s only in the 70s you may struggle.
Another way is to put it on and put the heater on high in the Jeep and let it warm up the soft top material

TX MOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 MOAB
I probably should have mentioned that I live in Las Vegas. It doesn't get that cold here either, lowest temp is about 35 degrees.
That’s cold enough to shrink it enough to make installation tough.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I leased a JL with premium soft top back in August and they took the windows off/top down while at the dealer, and then I never put them back on because the weather was nice. It's finally cold outside and when I went to put the windows back on,, I couldn't get them to lock in. Either the pieces that wrap around the sides could be put in, or the snap in piece on the rear side/column could be put in, but not both. Popping one into place would pop the other spot out of place. The rear piece also seemed too small to get both sides to lock in, only one side at a time could lock in wrapped around the side piece.

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they could help me with it. The tech spent about 45 minutes trying to get the windows back on before he finally gave up. After talking with the service manager, they said if the soft top is off the car for an extended period of time, it can potentially shrink and not fit when you put it back on. It's currently at the dealer being looked at for a warranty claim, but it will be a few days before I hear anything back.

Has anyone else seen this before? Wtf kind of garbage "premium" top can't even be taken off the car for an extended period of time without becoming useless?
I'm calling a big ass POPPYCOCK on that BS! :swear: What about those of us who order a premium soft top AFTER the fact? There's no telling how long that top has been just sitting around, unattached to a Wrangler, and I'm sure it would fit...at least it had better fit. I think the issue is that it has just been cold out and yes, the material will contract a bit. But...if you follow the directions of the company that makes it...Bestop...they clearly state, for new tops, to leave it in the sun for a couple of hours so it will heat up and become more pliable during the install.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Yup - it's not just Jeeps but any convertible - premium (aka cloth) or not (aka vinyl). The top will tighten when cold. If it's up no biggy - the frame holds it in place well. But if it's down there's no constant stretch put on it so it shrinks a bit.

Here's a quick clip to explain in detail:

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I haven’t installed the soft top on my JLU yet, but my preveious experience with a JKU is that you will not be able to install it below 70degrees. Try putting a space heater in your garage if possible to get the temp up. I know you said you’re in Vegas, but if it’s only in the 70s you may struggle.
Another way is to put it on and put the heater on high in the Jeep and let it warm up the soft top material
I wonder what they do at the factory? I doubt it is much over 70 degrees there and the tops are probably stuffed in a box and shipped from the supplier.

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
I wonder what they do at the factory? I doubt it is much over 70 degrees there and the tops are probably stuffed in a box and shipped from the supplier.
If it's built to order, the soft top is on before the tires....

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have always read that prior to installing a soft top, any year, any model, for best/easiest results, let it sit in the sun and warm up first. Not just the JL, not just the premium top.

I also didn't realize people went 4 months topless, or windows/sides. A little jealous on that one.

OP
OP

dgoldenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the info from the manual, I had no idea and I find it pretty concerning that the techs at the dealer really had no clue either. If I had known this was a problem, I would have just opted for the hard top. It's nice being able to put the top up and down easily with the soft top, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it at the expense of this kind of crap.
Sponsored