Premium Soft Top Shrank? WTH?

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
I leased a JL with premium soft top back in August and they took the windows off/top down while at the dealer, and then I never put them back on because the weather was nice. It's finally cold outside and when I went to put the windows back on,, I couldn't get them to lock in. Either the pieces that wrap around the sides could be put in, or the snap in piece on the rear side/column could be put in, but not both. Popping one into place would pop the other spot out of place. The rear piece also seemed too small to get both sides to lock in, only one side at a time could lock in wrapped around the side piece.

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they could help me with it. The tech spent about 45 minutes trying to get the windows back on before he finally gave up. After talking with the service manager, they said if the soft top is off the car for an extended period of time, it can potentially shrink and not fit when you put it back on. It's currently at the dealer being looked at for a warranty claim, but it will be a few days before I hear anything back.

Has anyone else seen this before? Wtf kind of garbage "premium" top can't even be taken off the car for an extended period of time without becoming useless?
Geez... just warm up the top and you'll be fine. I have a CJ5... top was off for over 4 years. I had to lay it out in the sun to get it pliable before installing it. You actually brought your Jeep back to the dealership over this?
Yup... in the history of Jeep CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs and now JLs... you have the only soft top that has "SHRUNK" and is now completely useless.
:headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just trade it in, but be sure to pick up your participation trophy for trying a Jeep as a keepsake.

Reactions: KDB

FinallyaWillys

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys
I leased a JL with premium soft top back in August and they took the windows off/top down while at the dealer, and then I never put them back on because the weather was nice. It's finally cold outside and when I went to put the windows back on,, I couldn't get them to lock in. Either the pieces that wrap around the sides could be put in, or the snap in piece on the rear side/column could be put in, but not both. Popping one into place would pop the other spot out of place. The rear piece also seemed too small to get both sides to lock in, only one side at a time could lock in wrapped around the side piece.

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they could help me with it. The tech spent about 45 minutes trying to get the windows back on before he finally gave up. After talking with the service manager, they said if the soft top is off the car for an extended period of time, it can potentially shrink and not fit when you put it back on. It's currently at the dealer being looked at for a warranty claim, but it will be a few days before I hear anything back.

Has anyone else seen this before? Wtf kind of garbage "premium" top can't even be taken off the car for an extended period of time without becoming useless?
I am dealing with this today - I have only had this new Wrangler for 2 weeks. I have wanted one for 40 years, but this is my first one. The weather was about 55-75 degrees and sunny for the last 4 days, so left the top and windows. I had a hard time getting my premium soft top back on today - all of it was tight. I finally got the top latched, but it did not look like it went as far foreward as usual. I was worried about leaks, so I tried to unlatch it and do it again. I cannot get both side unlatched at the same time now; too much strain on it. I left it latched for about 30 min and went back and it seems to be loosening back up a little. I guess it is ok left off in warmer weather, but I agree that I like the top off on any pretty day. Guess I will just have to close it up every night until the weather warms up. I do feel like the dealer should tell new owners this. Seems like that tech would have known this and just had you take the windows in a warm room.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I took mine off for about a month. Had to put the windows back on at night when it was about to rain, wasnt even that cold. It was a pain. When its warm, no problem at all.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
I am dealing with this today - I have only had this new Wrangler for 2 weeks. The weather was about 55-75 degrees and sunny for the last 4 days, so left the top and windows off and parked in the garage. I had a hard time getting my premium soft top back on today - all of it was tight. I finally got the top latched, but it did not look like it went as far foreward as usual. I was worried about leaks, so I tried to unlatch it and do it again. I cannot get both side unlatched at the same time now; too much strain on it. I left it latched for about 30 min and went back and it seems to be loosening back up a little. I guess it is ok off for several days in warmer weather, but I agree that I like the top off on any pretty day. Guess I will just have to close it up every night until the weather warms up. I do feel like the dealer should tell new owners this. These tops are expensive. I would be very mad if I had to buy another one. The only reason I just wanted a soft top was so I could easily take it off and on. I hope the dealer makes it right for you.
The top shrinks in the cold like a lid on a jar of pickles in the fridge. If you're having trouble latching it back up, run it under hot water turn on your heater full blast for 10 mins.
Sponsored