Premium cloth or leather

Premium cloth or leather

• Total voters

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Yes that's true I don't understand why they couldn't put the armrest with cup holders in the back with the cloth
I'm surprised they didn't stick with the floor cupholders for both - I actually prefer them there, since I can reach them from the driver's seat easily.
Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I think I'm going cloth then Katzkin leather. The price is pretty close to dealer leather but I can add some custom style to the seats and Katzkin told me they can keep the original heated seat element underneath the new covers to avoid adding a separate seat switch.

One downside on aftermarket on the Sahara is the dash is the grey plastic with cloth. Not that big a deal as I think there will be aftermarket dash covers soon or I can apply a 3M skin to upgrade the grey plastic.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I want to go ahead and get the leather but like you said if i am in the drive thru at a fast food place and get several drinks its nice to just reach behind me and place the drinks in he cup holders on the floor. why didn't they just do both on the leather ? i do like the cup holders on the seats for the people that sit in the back thats nice to have for them and it looks really nice

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I like the cloth but the leather is easy to wipe a drink spill off it wont soak in fast like the cloth will let it. and my dogs sheds hair really bad and with the cloth it just sticks to the cloth and its hard to get of. i have to get a lint roller to get the hair off. i do put a sheet down but his hairs just fly in the air when the AC is on lol its going to be hot in Texas with leather in the summer but oh well

Carbok

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Got cloth because of the feel. Felt like I was slipping on the leather. Door panel is plastic, someone said leather is different but I don’t recall. My biggest concern is if a kid spills something in it. Personally just felt better than the leather. Would have been easier to get leather than cloth in the Rubicon. One dealer wanted to charge a premium for the cloth.

For previous cloth owners, did you treat the cloth in case of spills?

Stitching is red for those that asked in earlier posts. It’s sharp looking. Daughter was getting in my old Grand Cherokee and was complaining her legs were burning so She was happy to get cloth.

Sponsored

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
Got cloth because of the feel. Felt like I was slipping on the leather. Door panel is plastic, someone said leather is different but I don’t recall. My biggest concern is if a kid spills something in it. Personally just felt better than the leather. Would have been easier to get leather than cloth in the Rubicon. One dealer wanted to charge a premium for the cloth.

Stitching is red for those that asked in earlier posts. It’s sharp looking. Daughter was getting in my old Grand Cherokee and was complaining her legs were burning so She was happy to get cloth.
Leather seats all the way! This is my first Jeep with out cloth seats. I went all out and got every option for my first Rubicon. From now on I’m only getting a Rubicon and Leather seats. I think the leather seats are so much better and once you get a Rubicon you’ll never go back to the lower trims.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

at first i was shopping for used wranglers and i did not want leather. ended up buying a new JL and a Sport was in my budget so leather not even an option lol. but i would take even standard cloth over leather. i wanted a soft top. the doors will eventually be in storage and it gets hot where i live. i had a mustang convertible with leather seats before and it sucked having the top down on hot days. for non-verts, leather all day long.

as far as long term, i was recently shopping for a used suburban. as an extra family vehicle to keep parked. i was looking at 2005ish subs. the ones with leather were just falling apart due to age. the ones with cloth still looked great. we ended up buying a 2007 with low miles and leather but the truck is like new still and wont see very many miles so im good with it. windows will all be tinted so that helps with the heat.

those premium Rubi cloth seats are nice.

Carbok

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with cloth or leather notice the bar that runs under the driver seat? On the cloth it’s right below the seam. Didn’t notice until the 3rd day driving it. Is it the airbag or just a bar for the seat.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

Spills are no problem. The cloth seems to be coated with something that prevents stains. My kids have spilt drinks and it just beads up. Very easy to clean.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
at first i was shopping for used wranglers and i did not want leather. ended up buying a new JL and a Sport was in my budget so leather not even an option lol. but i would take even standard cloth over leather. i wanted a soft top. the doors will eventually be in storage and it gets hot where i live. i had a mustang convertible with leather seats before and it sucked having the top down on hot days. for non-verts, leather all day long.

as far as long term, i was recently shopping for a used suburban. as an extra family vehicle to keep parked. i was looking at 2005ish subs. the ones with leather were just falling apart due to age. the ones with cloth still looked great. we ended up buying a 2007 with low miles and leather but the truck is like new still and wont see very many miles so im good with it. windows will all be tinted so that helps with the heat.

those premium Rubi cloth seats are nice.
It depends on the quality of the leather. Most automotive leather is essentially just plastic so it cracks over time and looks terrible. Looks great brand new though.

Sponsored

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Leather in my Rubicon and very happy with it . Had leather in prior JK and after 5 years and 58K miles still looked great. I do use seat covers however just in case and added Bartact seat covers for the JL and they are killer.. Fit like they were actually made for these seats and most folks don't even realize I have seat covers on the seats.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I guess i dont understand why people spend the money for leather to see it and enjoy it but yet cover it with seat covers the whole time they own the jeep or in any car or truck. If you want it to last and look new years later when you sell it then wouldn't getting cloth now and then when you sell it put the new leather in it then ? Because your not seeing the leather and letting people see it and saying wow that looks good. if thats not the case why spend more money if not. just my opinion i guess .I am getting the leather because i like the look and want others also too see how nice it looks too. but i really am tired of using a lint roller to get my dogs airs off the seats too

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Here is an interesting (well at least to me) wrinkle to the Leather vs Cloth commentary. I ordered a JL Rubicon with cloth way back when the order sheet opened. Later a JLU Rubicon with leather showed up at the dealership so I did a test fit. I did not like it, my 6'4 frame felt cramped, and after doing everything short of thinking about putting my leather JKU seats in it, let the dealership know to cancel my original order. The thinking was cloth must be the same right?

So this past week what I ordered came in and the dealership was kind enough to call to see if I wanted to check it out. I did and surprise surprise I fit!!! It was very comfortable and I even took it for a test drive. We did not come to agreement on pricing but I know I fit...LOL!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I ordered my JL yesterday white Rubicon with black leather. I went back and forth trying to decide which one to get. One thing I didn't like on the cloth was the cup holders on the floor. I have that now and hate how it is not as strong on the floor and have had large drinks spill on my JK now. But the deciding factor was the dog hair that sticks to the cloth seats right now I hate that my dog sheds very bad and I have to pick the hairs off with the leather I'll be able to wipe them off. Even with the sheet the hairs fly everywhere and stick to the cloth seats now and I can't get them off and it looks bad on black I think I'll be happy with the leather it just will be hot on those summer days in Texas when I take the top off but oh well I'll deal with it it just a really pops out when you see that black leather and that red trim when you open the door
Sponsored