CO JL Rubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2D Rubicon, 2018 JKU Rubicon
Hey all!

First time offroading my 2020 Jeep JLR 2dr, had many jeeps in the past but taking advantage of my new area (Northern CO) and my new Jeep. Have done some mild offroading in the last month but would like to explore the option of airing down my tires.

Searched the forums and couldn't find a pro/con list of options available. Was looking at the powertank due to its versatility and cost to entry (small tank under $400) but open to those that have much more experience with both.

I did a couple of forum searches beforehand so apologize if this topic has been beaten to death somewhere else before!

Thanks!
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning to install an ARB twin air compressor. I may add a power tank to it down the road, for the added oomph when running air tools.

I like the compressor idea better because it's always there when needed, never needs to be refilled, and if someone else needs air I don't have to worry about exhausting my supply.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I chose the on board compressor (ARB twin). I like the utility it gives and it’s not much more than the power tank you’re considering. I may add an auxiliary air tank later on if I find that it’ll be useful. Best of both worlds.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I chose the on board compressor (ARB twin). I like the utility it gives and it’s not much more than the power tank you’re considering. I may add an auxiliary air tank later on if I find that it’ll be useful. Best of both worlds.
There was a build thread i found here where someone welded the rubi rock rails and put fittings on them to hold onboard air. Pretty slick setup with the compressor. I’m gonna try to find the thread

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would go broke filling up the power tank. It would also piss me off every time that I had to fill it up. I air down a lot and that of course requires me to air up.

There I would be Jeep traveling and have to spend half a day or better finding a place to fill the tank. Might not be a hassle at home, but on the road. You would have to find a place, drive there, get the tank filled and go back to where you were wanting to be. I have wheeled in places that getting a tank filled could be a full day hassle and 30 dollars in fuel to go get it filled. No thank you. Might be okay if you are just going a couple times a year on the weekend and staying local. Otherwise give me the ARB compressor tucked under the brake booster.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If a power tank ran empty in my neck of the woods you wouldn't get it filled on a weekend, weekday is a strong maybe, 99 miles to the next possible place to try.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If a power tank ran empty in my neck of the woods you wouldn't get it filled on a weekend, weekday is a strong maybe, 99 miles to the next possible place to try.
So about $20 dollars to fill the tank, I guess and 200 miles of driving (For me that would be a full lost day of travel and fun time and a day of vacation time for my wife at approx $300 a day) plus the cost of fuel to drive there and back. So If I was hanging in Death Valley area, filling the Power Tank could potentially cost me about $350 and a missed day of wheeling. No Thank you.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
So about $20 dollars to fill the tank, I guess and 200 miles of driving (For me that would be a full lost day of travel and fun time and a day of vacation time for my wife at approx $300 a day) plus the cost of fuel to drive there and back. So If I was hanging in Death Valley area, filling the Power Tank could potentially cost me about $350 and a missed day of wheeling. No Thank you.
Exactly. We don't scuba out here either...

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I prefer our power tank. Easy to fill at most welding supply places but last a long time. We’re running 37s and did 5 trails where we air down to 10 and back to 20. It’s still showing greater than half. We have the 15 lb one. I’ll install the compressors in the rear cargo area or under a seat but besides that we don’t work with then much.

brett

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Op, if up-front cost is a focus, there is also the choice of an inexpensive portable compressor. I purchased this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...0824343&sprefix=Smittybilt+air,aps,197&sr=8-1

it dumps out a lot of air. Is it a “pain” to pop the hood and hook up to your battery to use? A bit. But it’s small and stores away inside the Jeep or in the garage if you dont want it in the jeep.

no refills. No trying to find a place that has the gas.

i like it.... maybe try it for a while and see if it works for you?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Powertanks are also larger physically. I’m torn about it, I want the speed of the power tank but I don’t want to carry it around.

One of my buddies trailers his rig and I’ve considered leaving a power tank on his trailer (enclosed) and bringing my portable compressor for everything else.

Per the charts, the tanks don’t hold enough to do many 37” tire fills from 10 to 37 psi so I’d be filling it all the time too since I do wheel quite a bit.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I can refill A 35” tire in 60-90 seconds, how long does it take with an ARB twin?

To the OP, do you know where you can get a CO2 tank refilled near you? If it’s not convenient, I’d shy away from CO2.

One nice thing about a CO2 tank is that It is portable, you can use it for more than just your Jeep (then again, a super long hose with any air source can come in handy).

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I can refill A 35” tire in 60-90 seconds, how long does it take with an ARB twin?
Approximately 5 minutes to inflate all 4 tires simultaneously from 14 psi to 33 psi.
Sponsored