Sponsored

Possibly ordering soon, what transmission/engine?

Jmccracken1214

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
Debating on letting go of my 2019 frontier pro4x and changing it up with a JLU rubicon. Ive always had trucks, and ALWAYS wanted a wrangler but never went down the hole for one.

After building on the website, I decided to ditch the diesel and go with the 3.6 for simplicity, but notice I cant get the 8hp75 trans with any engine except the diesel... and from my googling, that seems to be stronger than the 850re.... Which cost's more. If I get the 3.6 with the 850, it's only $1700 more to grab the diesel. Is it worth it?

Also, I love the LED head lamps, are they worth the extra $1400 on the wrangler? My 2020 traill boss had them, but the frontier doesnt and I dont mind it with the nissan, but they were very nice on the silverado.
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The 850 trans is quite capable and not a weak transmission. But yep if you want the 875 get the diesel motor.

The LED light package is great in my opinion.

But whether the added cost for the diesel/875 and LED package are worth it... It's worth it if you want those options. I don't think any of the aftermarket LED options look better than the factory setup. So I wouldn't buy a Jeep without that package. I'm very happy with the 850 3.6 combo but those that have have the 875 diesel combo are happy too. Maybe drive both. But I wouldn't buy the diesel just because you think the 850 isn't a good transmission. It is...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Debating on letting go of my 2019 frontier pro4x and changing it up with a JLU rubicon. Ive always had trucks, and ALWAYS wanted a wrangler but never went down the hole for one.

After building on the website, I decided to ditch the diesel and go with the 3.6 for simplicity, but notice I cant get the 8hp75 trans with any engine except the diesel... and from my googling, that seems to be stronger than the 850re.... Which cost's more. If I get the 3.6 with the 850, it's only $1700 more to grab the diesel. Is it worth it?

Also, I love the LED head lamps, are they worth the extra $1400 on the wrangler? My 2020 traill boss had them, but the frontier doesnt and I dont mind it with the nissan, but they were very nice on the silverado.
I don't think you can go wrong with any powertrain option offered. As to it being worth it, that's entirely an individual's determination. That said, I think the LED's are 100% worth it. But I can't speak to standard JL incandescent headlights. I know on JK's, they were terrible. But that doesn't mean much, as the JL is improved in about every way.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

My 2018 Sahara came with the halogens. It cost me at least that much to get the Mopar LED headlamps, activate the halos, replace the DRLs and the fogs.

If you like the LEDs, get them from the factory and be done

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Possibly ordering soon, what transmission/engine? 5A607132-9D75-4DC2-BCB7-643B02807B4B

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Also, I love the LED head lamps, are they worth the extra $1400 on the wrangler?
To make them worth the investment, diesel engines require a good use case. They need to be recurringly driven on more than short hops to the job or to the store. There's also the matter of the recurring expense of DEF, and the complexity of a modern diesel's hoses/wiring/all the rest, with respect to out-of-warranty repair costs (more so if it also has forced induction). These are all things to keep in mind.

The 850RE is easily the best automatic transmission I've ever used. Its near-universal praise on this forum isn't accidental. Hopefully you'll be quite happy with it if that's what you pair with your Pentastar (shorthand for the gas V6.) The uparmored 8hp75 in the Wrangler is reserved for the considerably larger torque rating of the diesel engine.

The LED headlights also enjoy recurringly good reviews on this site. The buy-in is rather salty, IMO, so the decision to select that option is a personal one.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

LED was a must have option when ordering, along with diesel.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
What type of area do you live in?

My Sport with the halogens was delivered two weeks ago. I've read about how much better the LEDs are than the halogens, so I've looked into it as well.

I live in downtown Milwaukee and it's really well lit, I also do a lot of highway driving, which is also well lit.

For my own use, the halogens are fine. I like the look of the LEDs, so eventually I will add them.

But I feel I don't "need" them and for my purposes, it's more of a want.

My Sport is very basic after having Lexus in the past, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Sponsored