Tigahs

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 4x4
Hello All…I’m not overly mechanically inclined. A few questions for y’all:
1) should I get an automatic transmission? Love manual, but scared of lower resale and issues
2) which gas engine? Turbo or the etorque 6? I live in South Louisiana, so no hills, mountains or rocks
3) can I add LED lighting later? As well as steel bumper with winch?
thanks!
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Get the manual. It's cheaper upfront, so the resale value isn't as bad as it seems. Plus the Wrangler being an enthusiast vehicle, there's always someone out there wanting a manual and willing to travel (often you can be firmer on price).

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
You should get the engine and transmission you want to drive. Don't sweat the resale. You buy a jeep to drive it, not to sell it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tigahs

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 4x4
You should get the engine and transmission you want to drive. Don't sweat the resale. You buy a jeep to drive it, not to sell it.
Great feedback guys!

can I add LED lighting and steel bumpers after I receive it?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
Honestly I’d go to a dealer and test drive the different options to see which you prefer. The 3.6 and 2.0 feel different and some prefer one while others prefer the other. Keep in mind that the manual transmission only comes with the 3.6 without etorque. Manual will be cheaper and in my opinion has the best engine because it doesn’t have any extra frills like a turbo or etorque. Get whatever you enjoy driving, don’t worry about resale or anything because none of that matters if you don’t enjoy driving it.

and yes you can add LED’s, a steel bumper, and winch after purchasing. That’s the great thing about Jeeps is that they’re highly customizable and modifiable.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
can I add LED lighting and steel bumpers after I receive it?
Lots of folks go to the aftermarket for bumpers.

As far as LED lighting goes, if you want that you should probably get it as a factory option. Otherwise, go to aftermarket LED lights and light bars as jeepers have been doing for decades. But on the roads and streets, the factory LED headlights will probably be superior, since if you turn on your aftermarket lights, you'll blind any other cars on the road, and they'll immediately drive over the center line and hit you. ;-)

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hello All…I’m not overly mechanically inclined. A few questions for y’all:
1) should I get an automatic transmission? Love manual, but scared of lower resale and issues
2) which gas engine? Turbo or the etorque 6? I live in South Louisiana, so no hills, mountains or rocks
3) can I add LED lighting later? As well as steel bumper with winch?
thanks!
Test drive both the automatic & manual, 2.0t and 3.6. Get what you want. None of them are bad, maybe just not your preference. The 2.0t & 3.6 are pretty much equal on paper but they have different "attitudes". The 3.6 loses power at altitude but that's a non-issue in LA. Don't worry about resale, Jeeps hold their value very well and if there's any vehicle people still want in a manual, it's a Jeep.

It will be much easier to get LED lighting from the factory than later. Steel bumper is easy to add later and there are tons of aftermarket options but I believe the factory steel bumper also gets you a slightly beefier suspension on the Sport.

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
JL Rubicon 6speed owner here. The manual transmission is great. A lot of the 'gripes' about the manual are from non-Rubicon owners because the 3.45 diff gearing, as opposed to 4.10 for Rubicon. Coupled with those 3.45s, the reverse gear is apparently fast and requires a lot of feathering in certain situation (uphill reversing) and 6th gear is often called a 2nd overdrive gear reserved exclusively for 70+ mph cruising. In my opinion, Jeep should just put 4.10s in all manuals.

Speaking to Rubicons and their 4.10s, I find my manual to be supremely fun and would without hesitation buy the 6sp again. The automatic is supposed to be excellent... for those who enjoy mushing a foot on stop and go floor-buttons in a mindlessly alternating manner. :)

As others say, test drive them both and buy what you like.
Sponsored