Possibly ordering JLU Willys with diesel: what will I miss from a Rubicon

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm having trouble getting accurate information on exactly what a JLU Willys diesel will come with. The following is what I know it comes with and what I think it might come with.

32" black wheels with MT tires vs 33" off road tires on the Rubi (I actually like the looks of these better than the Rubicon wheel/tire combo)
Rubicon shocks/springs (I've see a Willys build sheet and it doesn't mention upgraded shocks)
Dana 44 front and rear axles with 3.73 gearing with the diesel option (are these the same wide axles as the Rubicon?) Rubi diesel also has 3.73 gears
Rear LSD on the Willys vs full lockers on the Rubi
Detachable sway bars on the Rubi
Rubicon has the Rock Track HD 4wd system (any chance the diesel Willys also gets this?)
Rubicon can be had with a few more options (8.4" screen and proximity key don't matter to me)

MSRP on the Rubi with the same equipment is 6k more. The Rubi doesn't get the 1k retail cash bonus that the 2020 Willys gets so the difference is 7k more.

No guarantee an ordered 2021 Willys will have any incentives but it will still be 6k cheaper than a Rubi with the same equipment. Good chance the Willys will have at least 1k in incentives. If they bring back employee pricing even more. I don't need the lockers or sway bar disconnect. What is the chance resale on the Rubicon will be 6k higher five or ten years down the road?
As someone who spent probably close to 10K to get the Sahara to where Rubicon would be stock, and still missing some key features. Get the Rubicon man, no question.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
As someone who spent probably close to 10K to get the Sahara to where Rubicon would be stock, and still missing some key features. Get the Rubicon man, no question.
That might be the case with a gas version, but for the diesel version its way cheaper.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
I think you are right, my Sahara Diesel build sheet only says that its a M210, and M220 axle not wide. I will have to measure my axle when I get home from overseas. I wouldn't call this a bad thing though because now it will probably be easier to switched over to 35 spline axle shafts. I wonder if my axles still have the extra thickness(10mm), compared to the older m210/m220 axles.

I don't think this is right. I know that the Diesels come with HD springs, but I believe the Rubicon springs are taller. I bought some Rubi Diesel take off springs, and shocks from Rubi with a similar build to my Saraha, so I can find out for sure once I swap those parts out.
I think it’s confusing because it’s not that the diesels get Rubi springs, but rather that the diesels get diesel springs - and the diesel springs are the same across all trims including Rubicon’s. I.e. only one set of diesel springs. I saw someone post a chart with the part numbers showing this, I’ll have to find it again.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it’s confusing because it’s not that the diesels get Rubi springs, but rather that the diesels get diesel springs - and the diesel springs are the same across all trims including Rubicon’s. I.e. only one set of diesel springs. I saw someone post a chart with the part numbers showing this, I’ll have to find it again.
This guys shows part number for the Rubi vs Sahara, idk why the Sahara would have one side taller then the other. i think that is a miss print. I think its supposed to be 666 for the Sahara, and 667 for the Rubicon.

Sponsored

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

I've been going round and round with Willys vs Rubicon questions. I don't want the roll bar disconnect as I'd rather have a Currie or SwayLok. Would like an electric actuated OX diff. Lock because of its manual backup. Would probably go with 35" tires so Rubicon 33's will be replaced. Would have to buy the Rubicon Fender Flares to have the clearance to run the tires with no or minimal lift. The front camera ls available on the Rubi but not the Willys. Unfortunately you have to order the 8" display and that forces you to pay for the upgraded sound system. My ears are shot so the subwoofer will only annoy me if I play it loud enough to hear the high notes. Realize that there is a market for the "take offs' if I went with Rubicon but the question is where is that breakeven point.

With the low down torque of the diesel think the 3.7 gears will work and the transfer case of the Willys will also be good with 35" tires. Higher number gearing are more for road performance than off road. The 4.10 and higher numbers seem to be about getting the transmission to use 8th gear on the road for better fuel economy. The low 1st of the 8 speed makes the 4-1 transfer case unnecessary unless you have huge tires and not even sure about it then.

So the question is where does a Rubicon begin to cost more than a Willys when you start adding on the toys to the latter. Actually there is another problem with the Willys add ons, the proximity key function now requires the cut down door option for the Willys. Much as I would take advantage of those doors can't see dropping 3 grand plus to get them just so I can get the proximity door lock option. I know, how lazy can you get but one of our current cars has it and it's addicting not to have to fish in my pocket for the key fob.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
i would strongly recommend against going cheap on the 8.4 and getting the 7inch radio. you will spend double the amount trying to upgrade the stereo yourself with aftermarket stuff, and when you finally get it working many features will no longer be available (different menu).
Not necessarily. Some don't care about the upgraded audio (or even turn it on). I got the 7" and the only thing I missed was the Off Road Pages app (the 7" doesn't have it). However everything I wanted from that app can be pulled by the TrailCal display which is much less than the 8.4 upgrade (or even the stock driver dash display but it's inconveniently on multiple display pages). Plus I don't have to have a super annoying subwoofer sitting ridiculously in the middle of the floor.

No regrets whatsoever about "going cheap" with the 7" radio. It was really about not paying extra for unnecessary and annoying things.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been going round and round with Willys vs Rubicon questions. I don't want the roll bar disconnect as I'd rather have a Currie or SwayLok. Would like an electric actuated OX diff. Lock because of its manual backup. Would probably go with 35" tires so Rubicon 33's will be replaced. Would have to buy the Rubicon Fender Flares to have the clearance to run the tires with no or minimal lift. The front camera ls available on the Rubi but not the Willys. Unfortunately you have to order the 8" display and that forces you to pay for the upgraded sound system. My ears are shot so the subwoofer will only annoy me if I play it loud enough to hear the high notes. Realize that there is a market for the "take offs' if I went with Rubicon but the question is where is that breakeven point.

With the low down torque of the diesel think the 3.7 gears will work and the transfer case of the Willys will also be good with 35" tires. Higher number gearing are more for road performance than off road. The 4.10 and higher numbers seem to be about getting the transmission to use 8th gear on the road for better fuel economy. The low 1st of the 8 speed makes the 4-1 transfer case unnecessary unless you have huge tires and not even sure about it then.

So the question is where does a Rubicon begin to cost more than a Willys when you start adding on the toys to the latter. Actually there is another problem with the Willys add ons, the proximity key function now requires the cut down door option for the Willys. Much as I would take advantage of those doors can't see dropping 3 grand plus to get them just so I can get the proximity door lock option. I know, how lazy can you get but one of our current cars has it and it's addicting not to have to fish in my pocket for the key fob.
You can actually order the mopar parts for that, though you may need an additional under dash module/part as well.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m struggling with it too. What I’m finding though is that getting the Willy’s up to Rubicon spec would at least bring the price up to parity, and likely beyond if you have the installs done professionally. So it’s less of a value question and more of a “do I want to do that myself/want better aftermarket parts/do I really need that” set of questions. Also, factory warranty on as much as possible is attractive.

The axles are what’s really getting me. That extra effective backspacing is nice. And I really don’t want to use spacers. Many seem to think I they’re fine, and they probably are... but the potential insurance problems and that fact that I’ll be hauling the kiddos around make me uncomfortable with them.

mudog

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully a 3.0 jl
I went thru the same issues deciding between a willy diesel or Rubicon. In the end I ended up ordering a rubicon and the price difference was effectively about 4kish with all the options I wanted. Figured installing lockers and and being able to run 35s without major investment was worth it. I also got the 7 inch and will report back how it is once I pick mine up.

Sponsored

Jduncan791

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep jlu ecodiesel sport s
I think you are right, my Sahara Diesel build sheet only says that its a M210, and M220 axle not wide. I will have to measure my axle when I get home from overseas. I wouldn't call this a bad thing though because now it will probably be easier to switched over to 35 spline axle shafts. I wonder if my axles still have the extra thickness(10mm), compared to the older m210/m220 axles.

I don't think this is right. I know that the Diesels come with HD springs, but I believe the Rubicon springs are taller. I bought some Rubi Diesel take off springs, and shocks from Rubi with a similar build to my Saraha, so I can find out for sure once I swap those parts out.
Any update on the diesel rubi takeoffs

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any update on the diesel rubi takeoffs
Yes, so what was strange was that the Rubi front springs were shorter than the Sahara springs, and the rear springs were exactly the same. The take off Rubi springs were from a hard top diesel, just like my Saraha so I was suprised that they were shorter. I did use the Rubicon shocks, which I prefer over the Sahara shocks.

Jduncan791

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, so what was strange was that the Rubi front springs were shorter than the Sahara springs, and the rear springs were exactly the same. The take off Rubi springs were from a hard top diesel, just like my Saraha so I was suprised that they were shorter. I did use the Rubicon shocks, which I prefer over the Sahara shocks.
I have a willys and i was trying to tell some one that on 33 the ride high was the same my buddies rubi with mostly the same build. so i had looked at the spring and all are rubi part #s.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a willys and i was trying to tell some one that on 33 the ride high was the same my buddies rubi with mostly the same build. so i had looked at the spring and all are rubi part #s.
Jeep Wrangler JL Possibly ordering JLU Willys with diesel:  what will I miss from a Rubicon BEEB6F4E-CE69-47E9-B9D1-251C9D28A2FD

Sahara spring on the left, Rubi on the right. I was pretty frustrated that the Rubi shock was shorter after putting the jeep on Jack stands and everything. I think the Willys come with the rubicon shocks so for the Diesel the suspension on the Willy’s and Rubicon is the same.

Jduncan791

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Possibly ordering JLU Willys with diesel:  what will I miss from a Rubicon BEEB6F4E-CE69-47E9-B9D1-251C9D28A2FD

Sahara spring on the left, Rubi on the right. I was pretty frustrated that the Rubi shock was shorter after putting the jeep on Jack stands and everything. I think the Willys come with the rubicon shocks so for the Diesel the suspension on the Willy’s and Rubicon is the same.
Yep it is i have read that gor some reason the sahara has 2 different size from spring but no one has ever given a reason for that
Sponsored