Sponsored

Possible to set lower PSI without TPMS warning going off?

Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon
A quick question. Is it possible to inflate the tyres below the manufacturer’s recommended pressure (in my case 37 psi) to a more desired one (32 psi) without setting the monitoring off? It does not seem possible to calibrate the system to a particular value as opposed to the hard number of the manufacturer. I have been able to do this with similar systems on other vehicles (not Jeep). Perhaps I am missing something? Any comments gratefully received.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

OP
OP
Skyman

Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

its not bad. the tazer is great from what i read. it does all troubleshooting codes, allows you to adjust for bigger tire sizes, plus smaller things like the TPMS settings. ive seen videos on how to do it and it seems pretty simple but you gotta fork out for the unit

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Thank you for the link. That seems a bit laborious and costly solution for such a simple issue.
I totally agree. Tpms threshold is all I really want to change at this point

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Skyman

I am a fanboy of the Tazer JL and have one ....but to be honest, you do not need a programmer if all you want to do is run the psi lower then the recommended 37#.

I run my JL ... with stock tires that FCA says to inflate to 37# at etiher 32# or 34# and I never get a evic TPMS warning..

You can do the same.

Yes, if you want to run lower psi then I mention, you will want to use a programmer to either turn tpms off or to adjust warning level.

mtnbiker73

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
32 psi should be the factory set lower threshold, so you should be fine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 psi should be the factory set lower threshold, so you should be fine.
@mtnbiker73

Yes, the OP should be fine... there is a possibility though that when you set your psi to the lowest possible psi, without setting off an evic notice, is that on a very cold cold morning you would get a brief tpms warning until the tires warmed up a bit.

This type of occurrence is often seen when a guy is running the very lowest psi to prevent a tpms warning during the hot Summer and then when Winter rolls along he starts getting frequent evic notices... All the guy has to do then, is readjust his tires pressures on one cold morning before he uses the vehicle and then the morning evic warnings will subside after that... for the Winter..

mtnbiker73

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@mtnbiker73

Yes, the OP should be fine... there is a possibility though that when you set your psi to the lowest possible psi, without setting off an evic notice, is that on a very cold cold morning you would get a brief tpms warning until the tires warmed up a bit.

This type of occurrence is often seen when a guy is running the very lowest psi to prevent a tpms warning during the hot Summer and then when Winter rolls along he starts getting frequent evic notices... All the guy has to do then, is readjust his tires pressures on one cold morning before he uses the vehicle and then the morning evic warnings will subside after that... for the Winter..

Good point! We had that issue with my wife's car in the winter. Always had to run a few more psi in the winter to stop the alerts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skyman

Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon
So, after a bit of trial and error today, I can report that the TPMS signals an alert at anything less than 36psi.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, after a bit of trial and error today, I can report that the TPMS signals an alert at anything less than 36psi.
@Skyman

Must be that your having the EURO, JL that you are seeing this..... I really am unsure though.

I know many here in the USA, on this firum are running tire pressure at 32 psi, etc. and are getting no TPMS alerts.

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Put your sensors in this, set the tube at 37 and do whatever you want with tire pressure...
e56e07f91549843a331b32908ecfbd5f.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put your sensors in this, set the tube at 37 and do whatever you want with tire pressure...
e56e07f91549843a331b32908ecfbd5f.jpg
@b1er
I have done that trick with other vehicles.... but it won't really do the deed properly, for the JL unfortunately..

In case anyone is interested:

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.