Possible reason the JL key fob is so big - waterproof

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I accidentally dropped my key 2 floors yesterday, no problem! I really thought it would be broken into a bunch of little pieces!
Sponsored

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Not a fan of the key fob, it’s 2x the size of the fob for any other vehicle we’ve owned ( Mercedes, Ford, GMC)
But it’s the only complaint with our new Rubicon.
Not a big deal just keeping it separate from any other keys and enjoying the new ride!

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I love my fob, it's the perfect size . I don't have to fumble when locking and unlocking the doors, it fits in the holder. I throw my house keys in the center all day down I'm a work. (Protected parking lot).
'This is my fob, there are many others like it, but this one is mine...,'

Sponsored

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
I am not a fan of its size I have it on my key ring with my van, truck keys fobs and house keys I had to take keys off my ring to accommodate like shed and gate keys. I also hate taking it out of my pocket and the manual key gets popped out all the time I am thinking of taping a cap over the key pop out button. I won't keep my keys separate. My wife has driven it and is keeping it separate and I found her fob in the Jeep a couple times.

tarndesigns

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I put it back together for now. I'm considering a new housing but I'm not sure exactly how I would do it. 3d printing wouldn't be strong enough, and machined plastic would have an odd look to it. Aluminum would block the signal.

I'm sure if I had something injection molded people would buy it, but the assembly process would be difficult.

The main thing I plan to do is attach my house keys and tritium keychain to the mounting point that the keyring holder currently attached to with custom parts.

Show us when you're done!

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I keep a key ring just for house and work keys. The vehicle keys are never attached to anything. It makes things fit in the pocket much better. Also, I do not like handing my house keys to auto places which also happen to have my address (some of which make keys on site as well). It is a small but 0 cost security measure to keep them separate.
I got away from carrying house keys at all by switching to a smart lock. Alexa will lock it for me if I forget to lock it, and I can remotely check it anytime. I put each of my cars keys on a separate lanyard so they are easy to see when my wife or kids are looking for the keys. No issues for me with the size of the FOB.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk

Shinysideup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU soon
May be heresy to speak well of Range Rover in this forum, but I just saw their wristband secondary key recently and thought "why don't all cars offer this!" Would definitely let you leave the giant fob behind for bike ride, hike, swim etc.

Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
May be heresy to speak well of Range Rover in this forum, but I just saw their wristband secondary key recently and thought "why don't all cars offer this!" Would definitely let you leave the giant fob behind for bike ride, hike, swim etc.
Jaguar offers that as well (saw that when looking at the F-Pace), amazing feature I think !
If they offered it instead of a 2nd key for let’s say $150-200, I’m pretty sure they’d sell a lot ! Or as part of the keyless entry ?!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Jaguar offers that as well (saw that when looking at the F-Pace), amazing feature I think !
If they offered it instead of a 2nd key for let’s say $150-200, I’m pretty sure they’d sell a lot ! Or as part of the keyless entry ?!
I had that on my 18 fpace S. I LOVED IT! Super convenient, even if i did look silly (you have to tap the wrist band to the jag emblem when you leave and come back) but seriously, that would be amazing to have on the jeep. Heck I would even like a combo on the door. I hate carrying keys period.

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited, 1970 Toyota FJ40, 2017 MB GLC300, 2017 Impreza Subaru
I keep the key in my backpack I carry daily and just use the iPhone app to access to door to lock and unlock. Once in the vehicle the fob takes over.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I keep the key in my backpack I carry daily and just use the iPhone app to access to door to lock and unlock. Once in the vehicle the fob takes over.
Can you leave the fob safely in the jeep and only use the app on your phone? And is the app for android as good as the apple app, or am I finally going to make the switch to an iphone?
Sponsored