Possible reason the JL key fob is so big - waterproof

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
Does anyone else find their JL's metal key frequently flips out from its housing when in your pocket/purse/etc? At least every couple of days as I'm just walking I'll feel something annoyingly protruding in my pocket and realize my key has come out from the fob.

I had an Audi with a similar key design and it never had this issue. I guess it wasn't as easy to depress the button to release the key.

I've also had a couple other cars (Honda and a BMW) with proximity keys that had physical keys inside, but no 'eject' button... you had to actually slide an indented latch over to unlock the two components and slide one out from inside the other. It wasn't as easy, but since those cars had proximity entry/keyless go, I literally never once took the key out other than to see how it worked. That sort of design seems much better IMO for a vehicle that you'd typically never use the physical key for.
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Does anyone else find their JL's metal key frequently flips out from its housing when in your pocket/purse/etc? At least every couple of days as I'm just walking I'll feel something annoyingly protruding in my pocket and realize my key has come out from the fob.

I had an Audi with a similar key design and it never had this issue. I guess it wasn't as easy to depress the button to release the key.

I've also had a couple other cars (Honda and a BMW) with proximity keys that had physical keys inside, but no 'eject' button... you had to actually slide an indented latch over to unlock the two components and slide one out from inside the other. It wasn't as easy, but since those cars had proximity entry/keyless go, I literally never once took the key out other than to see how it worked. That sort of design seems much better IMO for a vehicle that you'd typically never use the physical key for.
Yeah I agree with you, they should provide people with the proximity access package, with a “remote” with the key stored inside (similar to what I had with my Mustang) as you might use the key once in a blue moon...

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
s-l1600.jpg

In theory since the key fob is programmable shouldn't you be able to take any Jeep key fob and program it to work on your JL? Like this one is for a Grand Cherokee.

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
Yeah, just picked up my JL today. I"d read this entire thread (hysterical!) and am still surprised at the size of the FOB. I really hope someone comes up with a smaller aftermarket option.

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLu
I might try designing and printing a replacement case in Poly Carbonate, that should be plenty strong enough with a little bit of infill to withstand most abuse a key fob might get. I do find the fob a lot bigger in pocket than the one from my 2016 JK.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I accidentally dropped my keys into the Salt River yesterday. I was able to find them and everything works perfectly so I can attest to the fact that the key fob is waterproof.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Crazy how a smart watch is so much smaller and has an lcd screen, battery, speakers, microphone, bluetooth transmitter, CPU, etc.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure keeping it in the Jeep will be a good Idea, depending on where you live. I keep mine on a clip attached to a belt loop, that might be a better Idea.
Ditto. I stopped carrying keys in my pocket a long time ago because they eventually poke holes in it, rendering the pocket unusable. I carry my keys on a carabiner attached to a belt loop. But always make sure your carabiner is fully closed and your belt loop isn't falling apart.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
s-l1600.jpg

In theory since the key fob is programmable shouldn't you be able to take any Jeep key fob and program it to work on your JL? Like this one is for a Grand Cherokee.
Certain model groups of key fobs are interchangeable, but they're definitely not all workable with each other. Had to replace my JK fob (and went 3rd party for price) and had to make sure i was getting one of about a dozen model numbers because others wouldn't work. JL probably has more limited options, if any, because it's so new.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The key fob size is good to me. I think disassembling the key fob is very VERY SILLY what did it prove.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
The key fob size is good to me. I think disassembling the key fob is very VERY SILLY what did it prove.
Well, at some point (about every one or two years), you're going to have to be VERY SILLY, pop it open and replace the battery.

It also proves that some guys like to take things apart and (hopefully) put them back together.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Opening to change the battery is not rocket science.
It's like some people or just bent on finding an issue just for conversation. NOTHING IS PERFECT.
The key Fob is nice to me, Zero issue with it Jeep did it's own thing what's the issue.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol yep, Good one.
My key Fobs Chevy, BMW, Jeep & Tesla all big

DSC_0298.JPG