Vehicle Showcase

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I guess there's still the traditional magnetic hide a key boxes. Metal ones should block the RF signal.
Get an RF signal blocking bag for your fob. It can be used to keep key your Fob in when stashed in vehicle. No need to remove battery from Fob. The bag will prevent the vehicle from reading the RF signal.

You can also buy RF signal blocking bags for automotive keys.

At amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Dark...-1-fkmr0&keywords=mission+darkness+fob+holder

Last edited:

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
OP, did you just take the key apart and put it back together or did you build a new housing for it?

OP
OP

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
I put it back together for now. I'm considering a new housing but I'm not sure exactly how I would do it. 3d printing wouldn't be strong enough, and machined plastic would have an odd look to it. Aluminum would block the signal.

I'm sure if I had something injection molded people would buy it, but the assembly process would be difficult.

The main thing I plan to do is attach my house keys and tritium keychain to the mounting point that the keyring holder currently attached to with custom parts.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I put it back together for now. I'm considering a new housing but I'm not sure exactly how I would do it. 3d printing wouldn't be strong enough, and machined plastic would have an odd look to it. Aluminum would block the signal.

I'm sure if I had something injection molded people would buy it, but the assembly process would be difficult.

The main thing I plan to do is attach my house keys and tritium keychain to the mounting point that the keyring holder currently attached to with custom parts.
Another option is to retro fit into another, smaller fob

Sponsored

OP
OP

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Does the FOB float? The air displacement may be enough for that and main reason it is big.
Doubtful it floats.. Also, the key fob is not actually water proof. It may may be very "water resistant" but undoubtedly, not truly waterproof.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
That's fair, maybe they did use the same board as the other Jeep models.

Nope, just tried it.
Bummer... Aside from making the FOB a lil harder to lose I was hoping it could float. That would at least make sense with the whole adventuring theme of Jeep.

Jrauck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
I honestly wonder why they made the key fob the way that they did. My scions key fob is significantly smaller and the battery has it's own water proof compartment... I know this cause I've washed my keys in the washing machine a few times without water getting into the battery compartment.

I dont necessarily mind the size or look, but if you're going to make it that big, it better float or be more waterproof than just an outside gasket.

Sponsored

jstew182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Sting-Gray
Bummer... Aside from making the FOB a lil harder to lose I was hoping it could float. That would at least make sense with the whole adventuring theme of Jeep.
I wonder if there is some sort of spray foam you could fill in all the empty gaps with that would make it buoyant enough to float.

OP
OP

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Filling it with foam wouldn't increase the amount of air inside, so it wouldn't really change anything.

jstew182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Sting-Gray
Filling it with foam wouldn't increase the amount of air inside, so it wouldn't really change anything.
I really don't know what I am talking about but there are plenty of things that aren't made of only air that are buoyant, styrofoam for instance.

OP
OP

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Right, but taking the existing air filled pockets and filling them with foam won't increase the buoyancy of the fob. Even if there is no air in there, and all of the empty space is filled with foam, it's not enough, collectively, to make the key float.

jstew182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Sting-Gray
Right, but taking the existing air filled pockets and filling them with foam won't increase the buoyancy of the fob. Even if there is no air in there, and all of the empty space is filled with foam, it's not enough, collectively, to make the key float.
Cool, it was just a thought. Thanks for the explanation.
Sponsored