Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks, I asked this question on my friend Jeff’s thread (Winch Mod) but haven’t been answered so I figure more of you will see it as it’s own thread.
I go off-road upstate NY in the back woods a few times a year. I don’t climb rocks but do climb downed trees and go through some mud.
I’d rather not put a permanent winch on the Jeep but was thinking about a portable winch. Of the 2 pics one goes into the tow hitch and the other just straps to your body hooks and then a tree.
Opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

874021D6-272C-4D3E-8FDE-7677E098A2C5.png

598E6656-A12A-47BE-A0E2-9BDCB6B5D1BC.png
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just about any winch is portable if you go to the gym often enough.

The wiring is the part that most people will want to set up once and not have to mess with too many times after that.

The ratings of all but one of the winches you linked to seem too low for practical use in a off road recovery scenario unless you bring along block and tackle and (more than) double the length of line .

You can see that the picture of the 7500lb trailer hitch winch offers the suggestion of the need for very stout lo gauge wiring that will presumably be installed on the vehicle and waiting at the ready should you wish to attach and utilize the winch.

I can understand why you don't want to cart around a winch 24/7/365.

Will a portable system provide a solution for you? It will probably come down to personal preference.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Hi folks, I asked this question on my friend Jeff’s thread (Winch Mod) but haven’t been answered so I figure more of you will see it as it’s own thread.
I go off-road upstate NY in the back woods a few times a year. I don’t climb rocks but do climb downed trees and go through some mud.
I’d rather not put a permanent winch on the Jeep but was thinking about a portable winch. Of the 2 pics one goes into the tow hitch and the other just straps to your body hooks and then a tree.
Opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Portable Winch? 598E6656-A12A-47BE-A0E2-9BDCB6B5D1BC

Jeep Wrangler JL Portable Winch? 598E6656-A12A-47BE-A0E2-9BDCB6B5D1BC
Steve, I did this trick on my last JK:

With my aftermarket steel front bumper I had a professional welder cut, insert and build frame attachment to add a 2" receiver tube.

I mounted my winch on a removable 2" receiver insert and put a quick connect disconnect plug on it. (Like a forklift charging system has, about $10.00 for the female and male.)

I ran wires with quick disconnect to front bumper and rear bumper. One solenoid will work as it is simply directing spool direction.

Whichever way I needed to winch out of a shitty situation, I simply slid in the winch (front or back), plugged in the quick disconnect and used the remote to get out.

Many times it's easier to get out the way you came in, not trying to go further forward. This gives you the option.

Both front and back become secure mounting without dangerous winch movement.

Charlie

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, thank you so much. I think I'll hold off. These woods I spoke of are behind my brothers upstate house. He has all kinds of heavy equipment should I get stuck. I thought I could just use Alligator Clips off of my battery and not bother others if the mud were deeper than I thought.
Sponsored