Portable Air Compressors

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Been rocking this harbor freight version for awhile now. Cheap, fits under the back seat, and handles a 37 tire going from ~15psi to 30+ just fine.
You running that up to the battery?

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Went with the ARB single compressor in its own plastic case. Took a few months to get it after ordering in January, but was worth the wait. They may be in stock at most places now.

Best,
-Tim

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Went with the ARB single compressor in its own plastic case. Took a few months to get it after ordering in January, but was worth the wait. They may be in stock at most places now.

Best,
-Tim
Weird... I ordered from Amazon and had it in 4 days (over a weekend). Actually... I ordered it just now because others mentioned having issues getting one... I saw it and pulled the trigger.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Weird... I ordered from Amazon and had it in 4 days (over a weekend). Actually... I ordered it just now because others mentioned having issues getting one... I saw it and pulled the trigger.
Slight thread derailment here: could you guys with the single ARB setup in the plastic box tell me if you get a blue light when you hook it up to power the way the instructions describe? Mine works fine but there is no light as described. No big deal but just curious.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slight thread derailment here: could you guys with the single ARB setup in the plastic box tell me if you get a blue light when you hook it up to power the way the instructions describe? Mine works fine but there is no light as described. No big deal but just curious.

Thanks!
If you're talking about the light under the on/off switch, IIRC last time I used it, the light doesn't come on when I hook it up to my battery, but it does come on when I switch on the compressor and it's pumping air.

Best,
-Tim

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks!
Huh... didn't even notice when I tried it out, but I believe you are supposed to have an on light, yes. I'll try to remember to hook it up tomorrow and see... stay tuned.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks!
Just checked (finally)... there are TWO lights under the switch. When powered but OFF (connected to the battery), there is a light at the top of the switch that comes on. When the switch is turned ON, then both lights are on.

Dummy me didn't take a picture. If that would help I can go back down later and repeat...

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Just checked (finally)... there are TWO lights under the switch. When powered but OFF (connected to the battery), there is a light at the top of the switch that comes on. When the switch is turned ON, then both lights are on.

Dummy me didn't take a picture. If that would help I can go back down later and repeat...
Thank you! That’s the way I thought it should work. My lights don’t seem to work correctly but everything else does so I don’t think It’s worth worrying about.

No pic needed but thanks for the offer!

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wrong, there are two lights on my ARB single compressor, but they are very faint in direct sunlight, and if I wasn't looking specifically for them, I wouldn't notice. The switch has the ARB logo on top and a compressor icon on bottom. When I hook up the cables to the battery, the very faint bulb behind the ARB logo lights, and when I switch on the compressor, the very faint light behind the compressor icon lights. Again, at night these may be very visible, but right now, in the sunshine, you can barely see the lighting up of each.

Best,
-Tim

Sponsored

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You running that up to the battery?
I don't have it hard mounted. Use it as advertised like the photo by taking it out, popping the hood, and hooking to battery terminals, then store it under the backseat after use. It comes with it's own storage bag which makes it even more convenient to manage the cable and air hose.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... popping the hood, and hooking to battery terminals...
The idea of using the 7-pin trailer outlet power for the portable compressor caught my fancy... I will be testing that option this week when I can get a hold of a 7 pin plug. As I stated in another thread, I got myself annoyed at having to deal with popping the hood exactly ONCE, and am going to see if that clever alternative works with the ARB portable.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Is the factory wiring really 30 Amp? I've not seen any aftermarket kits that are.

The Viair came with an amp chart, which is nice.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back on post #44 there is a link to another thread where @Some Random Guy showed off his Viair and plug. A few more discussions there about it. Seems to have been successful for a few folks.

I intend to try it when I can get a plug. If the fuse blows and craps out the trailer plug, I'll splice the wires back together and call it a good try.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Is the factory wiring really 30 Amp? I've not seen any aftermarket kits that are.

The Viair came with an amp chart, which is nice.
Back on post #44 there is a link to another thread where @Some Random Guy showed off his Viair and plug. A few more discussions there about it. Seems to have been successful for a few folks.

I intend to try it when I can get a plug. If the fuse blows and craps out the trailer plug, I'll splice the wires back together and call it a good try.
Fuse F37 - 30A
Trailer wiring
This is what I went off of. Its been working great for a few months now. When I upgrade to 37’s I might need to find a new solution.
Sponsored