It’s just about 5 inch deep
Advertisement

michail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks, the dimensions I saw seemed to indicate it wouldn't fit, but it may have been the box dimension that were listed.

Going to order it now.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve got mine mounted by the brake booster. I crafted an additional heat shield and it seems to be doing great. Temps aren’t more than the surrounding area.

elf883

First Name
steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl
Occupation
stationary engineer
Thanks, the dimensions I saw seemed to indicate it wouldn't fit, but it may have been the box dimension that were listed.

Going to order it now.
remember now i have the compressor in the bag laying on its side and the air line and fitting in there as well - standing up it will def not fit - you have to put the bag in sideways
i also have aloooooot of stuff in my boot .
i have that compressor - a little black bag with co2 refills and plugs
a small rachet set - my cmm mirros - foot pegs when doors come off
a battery jump start with the short cables - set of gloves - a dring - a tow strap
and like 2 zip lock backs of various fuses- zipties an plastic pop rivets an body clips an trees
so yeah i have alot of crap in there
i forgot i have the battery powered rachet which is a must have easy for door removal and top removal !!!! the plug to charge the 2 batteries that are in there as well - hmm i have a tire guage in there as well - theres so much i forget lol i only remember these cause i can see them in the photo lol

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
In the FWIW dept... I just picked up an ARB single portable unit and promptly ripped it out of its plastic box. Until I settle on a definite mounting for it, if ever, I will keep it in a stuff sack behind the driver's side seat - it fits nicely there in front of my Goose Gear platform support, and I can move it about if necessary or to another vehicle.

The ARB box is a nice touch if one has room, but in a camping Jeep the way I use mine, the box was too obnoxiously large and rigid. I went with the portable because I can still mount it in various inside places if I wish, and it comes with the hose, etc. I will likely run battery power to a terminal strip for both the compressor and fridge at some point, so the ARB wiring harness was less a draw for me.

In the mean time, I think I will also chop off the battery clamps and use a 7-pin plug to draw off the trailer outlet I have as someone suggested here. Saves opening the hood. (admittedly not a big deal, but mods ModS MODS!!!)

michail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
remember now i have the compressor in the bag laying on its side and the air line and fitting in there as well - standing up it will def not fit - you have to put the bag in sideways
i also have aloooooot of stuff in my boot .
i have that compressor - a little black bag with co2 refills and plugs
a small rachet set - my cmm mirros - foot pegs when doors come off
a battery jump start with the short cables - set of gloves - a dring - a tow strap
and like 2 zip lock backs of various fuses- zipties an plastic pop rivets an body clips an trees
so yeah i have alot of crap in there
i forgot i have the battery powered rachet which is a must have easy for door removal and top removal !!!! the plug to charge the 2 batteries that are in there as well - hmm i have a tire guage in there as well - theres so much i forget lol i only remember these cause i can see them in the photo lol
LOL, I was checking out everything in there! You are definitely prepared. Being better prepared is what got me on researching the air compressor.

Last week I went out on a trail that should have been easy and got caught up in some serious sand. But the stock Sahara 4xe did a damn good job. I didn't have an opportunity to get into 4L and I didn't have an air compressor.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
you can check this one out - its what i have/use depends on tire size you have. but this works great for me - not suuuuuper fast as everyone else may have , but it works and is strong and will fit inside the boot
Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor
X2, works well and I go old-school when disconnecting/reconnecting my swaybar, so I can air them up while I'm doing that, so it's ok if it's not filling too fast. Also has a decent duty cycle for a small unit. Only think I don't care for is the storage bag, just a bit too tight, I just bought a slightly larger Harbor Freight bag that makes it much easier to cram the hoses and compressor in there :)
And Tirerack has a great deal on them, 2 day shipping too IIRC.
https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2709&brand=VIAIR&cat=Tire+Inflation

elf883

First Name
steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl
Occupation
stationary engineer
X2, works well and I go old-school when disconnecting/reconnecting my swaybar, so I can air them up while I'm doing that, so it's ok if it's not filling too fast. Also has a decent duty cycle for a small unit. Only think I don't care for is the storage bag, just a bit too tight, I just bought a slightly larger Harbor Freight bag that makes it much easier to cram the hoses and compressor in there :)
And Tirerack has a great deal on them, 2 day shipping too IIRC.
https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2709&brand=VIAIR&cat=Tire+Inflation
hell yeah the bag is a bit small for it all, untill i destroy it ill run it into the ground lol
damn thats a really good price for it nice find !!!!!

also i dont really like the end on the hose that screws on its a PIA.
so i ordered a self locking air chuck that screws direct onto the hose of the compressor - it makes it even better i think and makes hooking up waaaaaaay easier no cutting or rigging - it just screws right on
the one i purchased to fit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088BKBKYG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3ZWK4HMTJS5V1A3RPJJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
hell yeah the bag is a bit small for it all, untill i destroy it ill run it into the ground lol
damn thats a really good price for it nice find !!!!!

also i dont really like the end on the hose that screws on its a PIA.
so i ordered a self locking air chuck that screws direct onto the hose of the compressor - it makes it even better i think and makes hooking up waaaaaaay easier no cutting or rigging - it just screws right on
the one i purchased to fit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088BKBKYG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3ZWK4HMTJS5V1A3RPJJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
good idea there^^

michail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The VIAIR unit can be easily modified to hook to your 7pin trailer wiring for power, which is pretty slick.
What kind of modifications does this take? I'm about to order a receiver (just for bikes) but this sounds like a fun project.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
What kind of modifications does this take? I'm about to order a receiver (just for bikes) but this sounds like a fun project.
get a 7 pin connector, cut the wires going to the alligator clips on your compressor, insert wires to 7 pin connector. I'm pretty sure there's a more in depth tutorial on here already, but it's about as simple of a mod as possible if you're even minimally electrically savvy.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Gr.Wagoneer, '98 TJ, '21 2-Dr Rubi
get a 7 pin connector, cut the wires going to the alligator clips on your compressor, insert wires to 7 pin connector. I'm pretty sure there's a more in depth tutorial on here already, but it's about as simple of a mod as possible if you're even minimally electrically savvy.
Is this sort of mod exclusive to the VIAIR compressor? Can it be done with any 12V compressor? Like say ARB?

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Is this sort of mod exclusive to the VIAIR compressor? Can it be done with any 12V compressor? Like say ARB?
I believe that the trailer accessory 12v power line is a 30 amp fused feed (someone correct me if I am wrong, please). The trailer plug mod will only be useful if the compressor draws less than what that 30 amp circuit can provide. The ARB website states that the portable draws 25 amps under load, so that is why I am considering it, me just being too lazy to have to pop the hood. It is a slick mod, but unnecessary - especially if your portable is going to roast the fuse.

michail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I don't have the factory towing package but I just ordered a Curt hitch for a bike carrier.

In looking at aftermarket kits I can't tell if they can handle 30 amps.

The one I'm leaning to is the Quadratec, https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/tow-hitch-wiring-harness-wrangler-jl. This appears to be more a plug an play harness compared to the kits. I can't find any info on the max amps.

According to wiring charts, it looks I would need at least 8 gauge wiring.

Installing the factory wiring looks interesting. I'm not sure if it would fit the 4xe given the 400v battery placement.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Rancho

Advertisement