Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hahaha, I feel like the angle is similar. The sound is fuller if that makes sense. But if you need me to say it wasn't worth it then OK it wasn't worth it. (But I'd do mine again) hahaha
Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Glad you managed to get all hooked up and things are sounding good. Also, it's great information for anyone else using the T-Harness and Main Harness to know that- if they do not already have power under the seat (or wherever they're putting the KTP-445U), they'll need to tap the power and ground from the factory harness. Well, actually, you could grab the ground from wherever you like, but tying into the ground for the radio just makes sense.

For others doing this install, if you do already have a powered sub under your front seat, you could just power the KTP-445U with that power supply. Alpine apparently designed the PSS-23WRA system- from which these harnesses are coming- with the KTP being hooked up under the seat using power from the sub (this is why the power/ground feed is so short and located on the KTP side instead of the factory harness side).

Regarding the LOC... In my installation, I noticed the T-Harness has a plug labeled "Sub-Out" that contains 4 brown wires. I originally used these wires as speaker level inputs for my sub, but I could only get very limited volume out of the sub. Then I thought about it overnight and realized these were probably low powered signals meant to be connected to RCA jacks. When I took the four brown wires and put RCA plugs at the end (you can get the RCA plugs just about anywhere- I think even Walmart carries them online), the sub worked perfectly. I will note that- again in my instance- I found only ONE of the RCA plugs was producing a signal to my sub (I can completely disconnect the other RCA and it makes no difference- also makes no difference which channel I hook the RCA plug into). I happen to still have speaker level feeds (which are spliced in at a point before the amp), and switching back and forth there is very little difference in the sound (in fact, using the RCA input seems a bit better, so that's the way I've left it).

Glad you're pleased with the end result. Yes, you have to turn the gain almost the whole way down, and it STILL gives you tons of clear volume. Paired with a powered sub, my audio now brings a smile to my face when I turn the volume up to 18 or so (and this is with a soft top with the rear windows removed :^)!
I'm going to install the T harness and Main wire harness tommorrow. I though the main wire harness supplied power to the 445 and it turns on and off by the signal sent to it by the main harness? Am I off on it?
I also plan to add a Kicker46HS10 and put that under the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You are correct. My issues were with a separate mono amp for a sub I was adding. It's all installed and put back together. Sounds amazing. Thanks again Varilux.

Full disclosure on the knee speakers... I put Noico sound deadener on the inside of the enclosure along with a bit of polyfill.

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Volbut32 said:
Hahaha, I feel like the angle is similar. The sound is fuller if that makes sense. But if you need me to say it wasn't worth it then OK it wasn't worth it. (But I'd do mine again) hahaha
Too late, I've already talked myself into going for it (will have to order the parts over the weekend). I think I'm going to go with the Focal 6.5 components, which will give me a separate tweeter I can position for ideal projection.
I'm going to install the T harness and Main wire harness tommorrow. I though the main wire harness supplied power to the 445 and it turns on and off by the signal sent to it by the main harness? Am I off on it? I also plan to add a Kicker46HS10 and put that under the drivers seat.
When Volbut32 installed his KTP using the main harness and T harness, he discovered the power and ground wires (yellow and black) for the KTP are at the amp itself- there is no wire in the main harness that feeds power and ground. In your case, this will be no problem- you can just tap into the power you are running to the subwoofer you're putting under the seat. If you don't have the sub- or its power supply lines- run yet, you'll just need to run two wires from the KTP to the factory radio harness. At the factory radio harness, you'll connect to the yellow / red stripe wire for positive and the black for ground (just like in the picture in the first post in this thread). Then you'll be good to go- the signal to turn on the amp will come from the main harness' speaker feeds.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Varilux , this might sound dumb,what i'm getting is, that I just need to run a wire from the yellow hot wire on the T harness, to the yellow hot wire(where the original batter cable plugged in) on the main harness for the 445u? The groud wire from the main harness, that is bolted onto transmission ground should handle the ground for the 445u?

Sponsored

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Well got my set up done, finally. Ended up being a 9 hour job with the Metra pods and SSV adapter for the soundbar and running components. AMP install was by far the easiest part, nice and clean under the passenger seat with the main harness running along the baseboard. Thanks everyone for adding input on this thread. Anyone with time and patience it’s definitely a doable job (I’ve never installed an amp before). Thank again @Varilux

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Guys, I think I may have made a mistake buying the 6.5 inch speakers. I actually bought 4 of the Alpine R-S65.2 Coaxial 2-way 6.5 inch speakers. I also bought 4 of the Alpine SPR-10TW 1 inch tweeters. Alpine doesn't just offer a Mid for sale at that size by itself, so I bought the 2 ways other people listed, but I now realize that I may have too much tweeter. The idea was to install the combination of two 6.5 inch speakers at knee panels and 2 tweeters on dash, and on the soundbar, I'd install the same combo. Will that be way too much high/tweeters? Does anybody have a similar combo? thanks!

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I think I may have made a mistake buying the 6.5 inch speakers. I actually bought 4 of the Alpine R-S65.2 Coaxial 2-way 6.5 inch speakers. I also bought 4 of the Alpine SPR-10TW 1 inch tweeters. Alpine doesn't just offer a Mid for sale at that size by itself, so I bought the 2 ways other people listed, but I now realize that I may have too much tweeter. The idea was to install the combination of two 6.5 inch speakers at knee panels and 2 tweeters on dash, and on the soundbar, I'd install the same combo. Will that be way too much high/tweeters? Does anybody have a similar combo? thanks!
So I put the components on the sound bar only because I upgraded the dash speakers also. Are you planning on upgrading the dash speakers or replacing those with the tweeters? If your just replacing the dash speakers with the tweeters I think you’ll be fine and enjoy them. If your trying to add tweeters AND replace the dash speakers I think it’s overkill to add them to the soundbar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Varilux , this might sound dumb,what i'm getting is, that I just need to run a wire from the yellow hot wire on the T harness, to the yellow hot wire(where the original batter cable plugged in) on the main harness for the 445u? The groud wire from the main harness, that is bolted onto transmission ground should handle the ground for the 445u?
Correct- as long as you connect the yellow wire from the KTP to the yellow/red stripe wire in the harness, you can connect the ground wire from the KTP anywhere.

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
So I put the components on the sound bar only because I upgraded the dash speakers also. Are you planning on upgrading the dash speakers or replacing those with the tweeters? If your just replacing the dash speakers with the tweeters I think you’ll be fine and enjoy them. If your trying to add tweeters AND replace the dash speakers I think it’s overkill to add them to the soundbar.
Thanks bud. I'm actually installing the Alpine 1 inch type R tweeters on the dash (the ones that come with the PSS-23WRA, but additionally, I bought the Type R 6.5 inch 2 way speakers that have a built in woofer and another built in tweeter to put in the knee panel area. There will be no more speakers in the dash. I'm wondering if the fact that i will have tweeters in the dash, and then the woofer and tweeters in the knee panel will give me too much tweeter. On top of that, I have the 8" sub under the seat and plan to install the same 6.5 inch 2 way speakers on the sound bar. Thanks!

Sponsored

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks bud. I'm actually installing the Alpine 1 inch type R tweeters on the dash (the ones that come with the PSS-23WRA, but additionally, I bought the Type R 6.5 inch 2 way speakers that have a built in woofer and another built in tweeter to put in the knee panel area. There will be no more speakers in the dash. I'm wondering if the fact that i will have tweeters in the dash, and then the woofer and tweeters in the knee panel will give me too much tweeter. On top of that, I have the 8" sub under the seat and plan to install the same 6.5 inch 2 way speakers on the sound bar. Thanks!
I think your good. Even after replacing every speaker in mine yesterday most of the sound is coming from the front and if you wanted more highs that would be where I would place them. The knee pods are directed down and I think that will minimize both “highs” with your setup. The tweeters I put in my sound bar are only noticeable if I’m sitting in the back seat. When everyone says that the sound bar is just filler they are 100% correct. Granted I went with different speakers and everyone has personal preference but I suspect that you’ll be fine. For ease of assembly your better off with the two ways in the soundbar versus my separates.
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 3C6BFD86-D116-4558-B9B9-CB1C0CA8BAF5

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I think your good. Even after replacing every speaker in mine yesterday most of the sound is coming from the front and if you wanted more highs that would be where I would place them. The knee pods are directed down and I think that will minimize both “highs” with your setup. The tweeters I put in my sound bar are only noticeable if I’m sitting in the back seat. When everyone says that the sound bar is just filler they are 100% correct. Granted I went with different speakers and everyone has personal preference but I suspect that you’ll be fine. For ease of assembly your better off with the two ways in the soundbar versus my separates.
3C6BFD86-D116-4558-B9B9-CB1C0CA8BAF5.jpeg
Your setup looks sick! What speakers did you end up going with? Did you use the same for the front and back?

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 3C6BFD86-D116-4558-B9B9-CB1C0CA8BAF5
When I was messing with time alignment on mine I faded to the rear speakers about 2 clicks and I actually think it sounds better out of the sound bar than the dash speakers. Since the component tweeter and mid speaker are closer they sound better.

Plus with poly filling the bar and dynamatting the hell out of it, the JL components I put in there get a lot more rich sound.

Seen a few people say components weren’t worth it but I think they sound a ton better.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was messing with time alignment on mine I faded to the rear speakers about 2 clicks and I actually think it sounds better out of the sound bar than the dash speakers. Since the component tweeter and mid speaker are closer they sound better.

Plus with poly filling the bar and dynamatting the hell out of it, the JL components I put in there get a lot more rich sound.

Seen a few people say components weren’t worth it but I think they sound a ton better.
Good to know. I’ll give that a try to see. What do you have you EQ set at?
Sponsored