Sponsored

Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
That looks like a cool product- should make for a very tidy install (the harnesses should probably still help as well- I wonder if Alpine uses the same connector for the speaker in feeds). I bet 25w per channel is plenty (after all, the gain on the 40w per channel KTP has to be turned almost the whole way down). Please post a report on the results you get- I might use this unit for my son's vehicle.
I hope to get it installed soon, not doing it myself, I'll let a pro handle it and tune it properly. Hope it does the job, I am not sinking anymore money into the tunes after that!
Sponsored

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The T-Harness will have a plug that says "sub-out." This will be a low-powered sub signal from the head unit. The Main Harness should have a plug that connects to the sub-out. On the other end of the harness, you would just wire RCA plugs to those wires and connect to your mono sub-amp. Alternatively, you could use speaker level inputs by tapping into the rear speaker feeds BEFORE they go into the KTP-445U amp (you don't want to tap into them after the amp, because then if you use the high pass filter on the amp you'll be cutting the signal the sub needs).

I'm definitely not an audio expert (so someone who knows better please correct if needed), but I believe those are your two options for wiring your mono amp for a sub.

Happy to help- I'm running out of things to do in the garage! :^)
I appreciate the info. Can't wait to get my harnesses and knock this out. The 2-4 day lead time has turned into 2 weeks and counting. Thanks again.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I appreciate the info. Can't wait to get my harnesses and knock this out. The 2-4 day lead time has turned into 2 weeks and counting. Thanks again.
Did they (pacparts) email you or did you call? I was anticipating a 2-4 day backorder also and want to figure out If I need to tackle this project in parts now?

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered on May 24th. I emailed them June 3rd,they replied June 4th and said it was taking longer than anticipated and I would get an email when it shipped.

Kinda sucks as I have the KTU, Punch amp, and JL Audio sub just waiting. I've never installed an amp on a factoy head unit before so I'm waiting to have everything before I tackle this as not to have to redo anything.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I swapped head units today to the 7” so that was easy peasy. I have all the components and amp for the rest of the upgrade, just waiting on the harnesses at this point. Let me know how yours go @Volbut32

Sponsored

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I swapped head units today to the 7” so that was easy peasy. I have all the components and amp for the rest of the upgrade, just waiting on the harnesses at this point. Let me know how yours go @Volbut32
Just got a shipping notice from Pac today. Once I receive it and get it installed I'll update.

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
What an awesome thread @Varilux ! Thanks for sharing such great info. I ordered all of the components you recommended minus the speakers and sub. Instead, I ordered the sub and tweeters that come with Alpine's package: PSS-23WRA. Quick questions: 1. did you consider getting the Alpine tweeters that Alpine recommends? If so, do you have any idea where to get the mounting brackets to make those fit? 2. do you happen to know where to get the mounting brackets for the sub and amp? I'm trying to hack the PSS-23WRA, thanks to your super valuable research and advice!

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What an awesome thread @Varilux ! Thanks for sharing such great info. I ordered all of the components you recommended minus the speakers and sub. Instead, I ordered the sub and tweeters that come with Alpine's package: PSS-23WRA. Quick questions: 1. did you consider getting the Alpine tweeters that Alpine recommends? If so, do you have any idea where to get the mounting brackets to make those fit? 2. do you happen to know where to get the mounting brackets for the sub and amp? I'm trying to hack the PSS-23WRA, thanks to your super valuable research and advice!
I went with the Mopar Kicker upgrade precisely because it was drop in place (took about 3 minutes to install each one).

For any of the brackets or other parts to fit the PSS-23WRA, my understanding is PACParts carries pretty much every piece of that system. In fact, in another thread I think Marc (emgeesea) pointed out you can buy all the components of the PSS-23WRA separately for about $400 less than the bundle costs. If you can't find a particular bracket or part, he may be able to point you in the right direction (he's the one who made me aware of the KTP-445U in the first place :^).

Good luck on the install!

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I went with the Mopar Kicker upgrade precisely because it was drop in place (took about 3 minutes to install each one).

For any of the brackets or other parts to fit the PSS-23WRA, my understanding is PACParts carries pretty much every piece of that system. In fact, in another thread I think Marc (emgeesea) pointed out you can buy all the components of the PSS-23WRA separately for about $400 less than the bundle costs. If you can't find a particular bracket or part, he may be able to point you in the right direction (he's the one who made me aware of the KTP-445U in the first place :^).

Good luck on the install!
Thanks! One last question, did you have to get these two parts as well?

Alpine
820SVV90ZUD-SZUFEO
Power Cable

Alpine
820SVV90ZUD-UFDDGSW
RCA Adapter Cables

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! One last question, did you have to get these two parts as well?

Alpine
820SVV90ZUD-SZUFEO
Power Cable

Alpine
820SVV90ZUD-UFDDGSW
RCA Adapter Cables
I did not order the power cable because I had already ran power to the existing sub I have under the seat (and the KTP-445U by itself does not need a separate power run- you can run it off your radio's circuit per Alpine's instructions). In your case, you'll need to run power to the Alpine sub, so I would just get a sub wiring kit for that and power the KTP from there.

I also did not order the RCA adapter cables (I had some spare RCA cables lying around and cut into those to create the low signal feed for my existing amp), but the that part should make it easier for you to hook up your sub.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I order my harness on the 20th of may, got it today,my ouestion is on the sub end, where the RCA'S are to plug into the amp, were the two red end pluged into each other? Quad video showed them apart and mine are stuck together.
Did the main harness come in a sealed bag? Mine came in a open bag that was taped with a cleard tape

Last edited:

Volbut32

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp, I'm stumped. Got everything except the sub hooked up. Went to test the speakers before I reassembled everything. Screen turns on but no sound from the speakers ‍

ETA: my wire taps for the power and ground weren't in enough. I'm up and running but I have a hiss on all the speakers. It starts as soon as the unit powers up. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I would check is to make sure the amp is seeing power (voltmeter down where the harness plugs into the amp checking the power and ground inputs). Unless the main harness is screwing something up (I did not use the main harness, I made my own), I can't understand why it wouldn't just fire up. The only other thing it might be is if the sub connection itself has wires that are in a state that tells the head unit there is nothing hooked up (I think I saw two red wires in the part of the harness that connects to the sub that have a connector- I saw them in a pic someone sent me of the harness, but didn't deal with them since I made my own main harness).

Hopefully, it's something simple and easy to resolve.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp, I'm stumped. Got everything except the sub hooked up. Went to test the speakers before I reassembled everything. Screen turns on but no sound from the speakers ‍

ETA: my wire taps for the power and ground weren't in enough. I'm up and running but I have a hiss on all the speakers. It starts as soon as the unit powers up. Any thoughts?
Let me know how this is fixed. I have the harnesses also and plan on installing next week.
Sponsored