Sponsored

"Performance Limited" Error code

Little Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
So, my JLU...that has a whopping 1044 miles on it has been getting a dash pop-up that says "performance limited service fuel system." The dealer claims they've never seen that...I can't find any info about it online...and I'm starting to think it's a reoccurring fever dream at this point.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?
Yah just another sweet Jeep dream. I get them once in awhile with mine. My 2019 Rubicon is temperamental sometimes but like us humans u just have to talk ice to it ….
Sponsored

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
anyone notice this happens more on ascending inclines? so far it's been pretty consistently happening when braking to a stop on a mild hill vs flat or descending hill.

never happens at highway speeds. always when close to a stop.
I’ve seen in a few times on my new Jeep. Most of the time it’s when I’ve going down a long hill, using engine braking to control my speed. It’s still too new to me to notice any other trends yet though.

PerfectDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Welp, I finally got the code again. Last time I got it was the post I am replying to above back on 12 February. I am currently up to 5300 miles and this time the message "Performance Limited Service Fuel System" came on for a solid 10 seconds before disappearing. No other error messages or warnings. I live now at an altitude of around 4000 feet but the land is flat. I was cruise controlling at 55 MPH down a very straight road. I can't remember if it happened while I was cruising or after I hit cancel on the cruise control to coast towards a stop sign to make a left turn but the message was 100% there as I was slowing down and came to a stop at the stop sign. It went away just before I turned. There were cars behind me so I didn't feel safe taking a picture while coming to a stop.

Since last time, I drove all the way to New Mexico from up North. Had zero issues. I have been using 91 Octane Premium. My MPGs average around 23+ right now, I've been getting my gas from the same place (on base) for a few months now, and before, during, and after the message appeared, I didn't feel like my performance was limited. I was able to turn left and get back up to 55 MPH with no issues. I have drove that road for quite a while now going to and from work. First time seeing the code in months.

The sky was clear, there was a cool breeze, and the temperature outside was 65-70 F. I also never accidentally slipped into manual like last time. So in terms of weather or what gas I am using? None of it seems to matter. Last time it happened it was wetter, colder, and up North. I was using 87 Octane and would get gas from numerous places. Now I am in a desert where it is dry and much warmer, gas has been consistently from the same place, and a higher octane. Considering I have no performance issues, I am leaning towards the group that thinks it is software related or happening when they decelerate. This time though the message was on for a solid length of time compared to the flash of a second the first time.

I'll be bringing my 2022 JLUR to the dealership again eventually because she's got a squeaky noise that presents itself whenever I hit a bump. Before it was happening at 40+, now it is happen as low as 15+ MPH. I have not had time to troubleshoot it myself but the dealership couldn't find anything last time. Now that it is getting "worse" I am hoping they can find something and in the mean time, I can have them look into this code as well.

Another update for ya'll. Brought my Jeep to the dealership for a few things this past week. One of them being this issue we have all been discussing. They of course, could not duplicate it. Stated there was no STAR report out, no codes, nothing. So basically got told, thanks for your time.

Then literally the next day, I was cruise controlling down a road going 45 MPH. Up ahead was a stop light that is notorious for going from green to yellow to red within a very short time frame. And you know that small window where you either need to speed up or slow down to prevent running the red light? Well I always opt to slow down cause well I don't like accidents and as I was very firmly pressing my brakes, the error message popped up again. So for me, it 100% happens when I am deaccelerating. It only popped up for a few seconds, again, no error messages or performance issues.

What I find odd is the dealership telling me there were no STAR reports, despite this thread saying there is one, as when Jeep inevitably fixes this issue and has recalls as a result, I would like my Jeep to be known as one of them having the issue, albeit, not as serious as some of the others here. Maybe the STAR reports is a state by state thing? It is something I am unfamiliar with.

Anyway, that's my update so far. Attaching a picture for some proof.

PXL_20220620_211116726.jpg

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Another update for ya'll. Brought my Jeep to the dealership for a few things this past week. One of them being this issue we have all been discussing. They of course, could not duplicate it. Stated there was no STAR report out, no codes, nothing. So basically got told, thanks for your time.

Then literally the next day, I was cruise controlling down a road going 45 MPH. Up ahead was a stop light that is notorious for going from green to yellow to red within a very short time frame. And you know that small window where you either need to speed up or slow down to prevent running the red light? Well I always opt to slow down cause well I don't like accidents and as I was very firmly pressing my brakes, the error message popped up again. So for me, it 100% happens when I am deaccelerating. It only popped up for a few seconds, again, no error messages or performance issues.

What I find odd is the dealership telling me there were no STAR reports, despite this thread saying there is one, as when Jeep inevitably fixes this issue and has recalls as a result, I would like my Jeep to be known as one of them having the issue, albeit, not as serious as some of the others here. Maybe the STAR reports is a state by state thing? It is something I am unfamiliar with.

Jeep Wrangler JL "Performance Limited" Error code PXL_20220620_211116726
yeah I had it twice today when braking on an uphill stop. Still tracking for any other trends. I plan to bring it on to document it within the next few weeks.

Jeepish3000

First Name
Katelyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
Following this thread. Picked up my '22 Rubicon 2.0L turbo brand new 10 days ago. Got this message the day I bought it, driving it home. Keep getting it about every other day. Always fill it with 93 so I'm sure that's not the issue. Can't wait til they find a fix for it. Fingers crossed

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Got this message momentarily today, while braking and pulling to the shoulder of the road. No violent maneuvering. No after effects I can determine.

This is reminiscent of my 2019 Power Wagon. Prone to glitches in the matrix.

I think FCA’s implementation of CANbus has issues.

OP
OP
Sirikta

Sirikta

First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Altitude

Demand they open a STAR case for the issue....basically what your dealership just told is that there are no true "fixes" in the STAR log....but if we DO eventually want this fixed, then the dealerships need to actually open the damn cases.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Going down a grade today with cruise on. It downshifted to 6 to grade brake, which I didn’t want. So I canceled the cruise and shifted manually back to 8. Got this.

It remained on until I stopped coasting and reapplied throttle. Went off as soon as I touched the gas.

C626656D-9C08-4255-A009-E26E3803C2FF.jpeg

Daytonsizz

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willy's wrangler
Add me to the list 2022 JLU 2.0t Willy's.

Message came up the first time as usual very quick then went away about a few days after buying the Jeep at 400km after I punched it through a stale yellow. I thought not much of it, thought it was just a new car working out things. How ever yesterday June 28th 2022 I remote started the car went out side and it sounded terrible bad idle. I thought maybe I left the AC on but when I went in the car I saw the "performance Limited" message so I turned off the car and when I started it again the starter went crazy trying to turn the motor over, it did eventually I tried to drive It around the block but it was terrible, laggy chugging and the RPM's were going up but speed was not. It even put it self out of gear when I came to a stop. I pulled over immediately and had it towed to dealer. So no this isn't just a "message" it severely impacted my Jeep and it's performance. I only fill my tank at Esso 87 octane. Jeeps currently at 2400KM I am not pleased at all this issue is going to be a nightmare to deal with I can already tell because as you guys have posted, there's no current solution... And my Jeep is undrivable. I'll update you guys after I hear back from the dealership today.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Add me to the list 2022 JLU 2.0t Willy's.

Message came up the first time as usual very quick then went away about a few days after buying the Jeep at 400km after I punched it through a stale yellow. I thought not much of it, thought it was just a new car working out things. How ever yesterday June 28th 2022 I remote started the car went out side and it sounded terrible bad idle. I thought maybe I left the AC on but when I went in the car I saw the "performance Limited" message so I turned off the car and when I started it again the starter went crazy trying to turn the motor over, it did eventually I tried to drive It around the block but it was terrible, laggy chugging and the RPM's were going up but speed was not. It even put it self out of gear when I came to a stop. I pulled over immediately and had it towed to dealer. So no this isn't just a "message" it severely impacted my Jeep and it's performance. I only fill my tank at Esso 87 octane. Jeeps currently at 2400KM I am not pleased at all this issue is going to be a nightmare to deal with I can already tell because as you guys have posted, there's no current solution... And my Jeep is undrivable. I'll update you guys after I hear back from the dealership today.
Keep us updated with what the dealer says please. Your experience is far more drastic than what most of us have had.

I've not had the message for about a week except for yesterday I had a situation where I was accelerating and needed ot brake more abruptly than normal. Sure enough the message popped up and then went away seconds later. No change in engine behavior.

I was able to have the message pop up on my morning drive pretty consistently and then it just stopped happening.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Evap system. Bad sensor or maybe small air leak. Who knows at this point.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Keep us updated with what the dealer says please. Your experience is far more drastic than what most of us have had.

I've not had the message for about a week except for yesterday I had a situation where I was accelerating and needed ot brake more abruptly than normal. Sure enough the message popped up and then went away seconds later. No change in engine behavior.

I was able to have the message pop up on my morning drive pretty consistently and then it just stopped happening.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Evap system. Bad sensor or maybe small air leak. Who knows at this point.
Reading this thread, it sounds more like fuel pump/injector doing something that the Jeep's computer doesn't expect at a given moment, for most of the examples y'all have posted. For instance, if you're coasting downhill with no throttle input and RPMs increase due to increased speed going downhill, but the throttle input to increase fuel output hasn't been noted by the Jeep's computer, and it pops the error. Based on a lot of y'all's posts it seems like something similar to that happens.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Reading this thread, it sounds more like fuel pump/injector doing something that the Jeep's computer doesn't expect at a given moment, for most of the examples y'all have posted. For instance, if you're coasting downhill with no throttle input and RPMs increase due to increased speed going downhill, but the throttle input to increase fuel output hasn't been noted by the Jeep's computer, and it pops the error. Based on a lot of y'all's posts it seems like something similar to that happens.
I agree but I'd think something like that would throw a permanent stored code.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I agree but I'd think something like that would throw a permanent stored code.
Depends on the programming for how it handles whatever condition is tripping the alert. For instance, we know the JL with the 2.0T has a fuel injection pump connected to the fuel rail and a fuel sending unit in the tank. Let's say the Jeep transitions from sending at a higher pressure to sending at a lower pressure to the injectors due to the loss of throttle input when you coast. Just spitballing, but if the programming expects this transition to happen within 50ms, but it takes 100ms (random numbers) or something similar, it could trip a warning that something is wrong with the fuel system, even though you notice no issues and the Jeep works fine. Or similarly, if the ECM hasn't cleared the throttle input by the time the fuel output has dropped pressure/volume, it could think something's wrong (like if it polls throttle input every 100ms, but the fuel pressure/volume changes within 50ms between polls or something) and it thinks that your fuel system isn't performing right. And the fact that no code is stored is more related to the way Jeep decided to handle in software whatever condition is triggering the alert than it does with whatever is actually going wrong.

Last edited:

Daytonsizz

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willy's wrangler
UPDATE: okay so I just called them and they said after running some diagnostics it's something in the high pressure fuel pump system. They are still looking into it. I feel like maybe alot of us have this issue mines just progressed further to the point of a full breakdown and codes being thrown.. I'll update everyone as I get updates.

Little Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
So, my JLU...that has a whopping 1044 miles on it has been getting a dash pop-up that says "performance limited service fuel system." The dealer claims they've never seen that...I can't find any info about it online...and I'm starting to think it's a reoccurring fever dream at this point.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?
Go out and treat ur self to a new fuel cap …..may be worth the investment
Sponsored