Partially Uncovered JLU Rear End

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I never quite understood the change they made to the window real estate on the JK's 2011+ hard tops that did absolutely nothing to improve visibility. It was the tire carrier and the rear headrests that were the problem, not the windows.

I can't quite tell, but other than making that rear window significantly bigger, I wonder if they lowered the tire carrier at all. And I do not see a wiper up top, either.
Making the hard top glass larger all around greatly reduced blind spots. I sat in a friend's 2010 model and compared to my 2012 it was noticeable.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to rain on the parade, but that rear end is still camoflaged. There is no way it is angled or raked forward. That makes no artistic or functional sense, at all. I doubt the tail lights will be flush, either. They are blocked by the same camo. Look, the rest of the JL is barely evolutionary, and mostly unmolested compared to the styling on the JK. Any real changes are subtle. The FCA execs have repeated over and over that they won't screw this thing up. That means no radical departures. You are looking at a camoflaged rear end that looks just like a JK. My money says the only change will be the jerry can design on the tail lights, the moving of the wiper motor, and maybe details on the hinge and handle design. Beyond that, there won't be much.
Agreed. The rain gutter all the way back still gives me hope for removable quarter glass though.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
Sorry to rain on the parade, but that rear end is still camoflaged. There is no way it is angled or raked forward. That makes no artistic or functional sense, at all. I doubt the tail lights will be flush, either. They are blocked by the same camo. Look, the rest of the JL is barely evolutionary, and mostly unmolested compared to the styling on the JK. Any real changes are subtle. The FCA execs have repeated over and over that they won't screw this thing up. That means no radical departures. You are looking at a camoflaged rear end that looks just like a JK. My money says the only change will be the jerry can design on the tail lights, the moving of the wiper motor, and maybe details on the hinge and handle design. Beyond that, there won't be much.
The angle/rake is not a result of the camouflage, you can easily tell that.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Agree except the rear glass is very clearly bigger so it's not entirely just like a JK. So are the rest of the JL windows for that matter, so it makes sense.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Who else thinks it would be cool if the quarter windows, and the entire rear window surround were modular and removable? (Leaving just the top)

Sponsored

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
People on this forum actually believe Jeep made a fake rear end to "trick" us.. lol. They just need to show us the whole thing at this point..

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
People on this forum actually believe Jeep made a fake rear end to "trick" us.. lol. They just need to show us the whole thing at this point..
Why? The order banks aren't open yet, production isn't even possible for a few more months, so why do they 'need to show us' anything at this point?

The lady's knitting circle getting worked up about it needs to go back to playing crokinole & canasta, and relax!

Really, the slow reveal is part of the process of generating and maintaining buzz, and titillating the fans. Just announcing it and being done with it would be like a Burlesque dancer walking to the center of the stage, flashing the audience for 2 seconds, and then saying "Goodnight, hope you enjoyed the show, drive safe !" :party:

Where's your sense of showmanship?

Also, If they simply showed the JL in Detroit in January, this would be a pretty dead place, this recent photo is what got the forum moving again after a brief pause.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Who else thinks it would be cool if the quarter windows, and the entire rear window surround were modular and removable? (Leaving just the top)
Well, I think we all want that so we can pretend to be the Safari Captain at Disneworld's Animal Kingdom.

But, I think Louis' still not quite so sure...

Jeep Wrangler JL Partially Uncovered JLU Rear End {filename}

;) :jk: :rock:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Why? The order banks aren't open yet, production isn't even possible for a few more months, so why do they 'need to show us' anything at this point?

The lady's knitting circle getting worked up about it needs to go back to playing crokinole & canasta, and relax!

Really, the slow reveal is part of the process of generating and maintaining buzz, and titillating the fans. Just announcing it and being done with it would be like a Burlesque dancer walking to the center of the stage, flashing the audience for 2 seconds, and then saying "Goodnight, hope you enjoyed the show, drive safe !" :party:

Where's your sense of showmanship?

Also, If they simply showed the JL in Detroit in January, this would be a pretty dead place, this recent photo is what got the forum moving again after a brief pause.
Must be a Canadian thing, but wtf is crokinole & canasta??

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think we all want that so we can pretend to be the Safari Captain at Disneworld's Animal Kingdom.

But, I think Louis' still not quite so sure...

;) :jk: :rock:
Thanks for mocking my question. ;o) Now go ride around in your jackwagon...

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Isn't that pretty much what that clay model Wrangler/Renegade mashup was showing? IIRC the quarter and rear windows could be popped out without removing the roof.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that pretty much what that clay model Wrangler/Renegade mashup was showing? IIRC the quarter and rear windows could be popped out without removing the roof.
Yes! But no info on that yet...

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks like they are getting rid of a corpse and the arm and hand are hanging out the back!