Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not the best quality photo but the rear camouflage is now being undressed to expose the tailgate. Stay tuned, our photographers are on it.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Rear.png
Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There definitely seems to be a little inward rake. If I'm not mistaken the rear window also looks bigger with a much thinner 'bezel' surrounding it.

GBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 147
back looks pretty flat. Do you think that will be possible to open the back window without opening the tailgate? maybe with some system to tilt backwards the spare tyre

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Looks like a vertical pull handle. Wonder if it will be the same as the doors.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I never quite understood the change they made to the window real estate on the JK's 2011+ hard tops that did absolutely nothing to improve visibility. It was the tire carrier and the rear headrests that were the problem, not the windows.

I can't quite tell, but other than making that rear window significantly bigger, I wonder if they lowered the tire carrier at all. And I do not see a wiper up top, either.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I can't quite tell, but other than making that rear window significantly bigger, I wonder if they lowered the tire carrier at all. And I do not see a wiper up top, either.
We already saw the wiper motor moved to bottom centre of the window where the tire carrier is already blocking the view which is an improvement over the current position, but only minimally improves visibility.

However it's still got better visibility than most out there, just nowhere near as good as the roof down or with the spare in storage.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-tailgate-reveals-angled-c-pillar-design.123/

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
back looks pretty flat. Do you think that will be possible to open the back window without opening the tailgate? maybe with some system to tilt backwards the spare tyre
Too expensive to build a carrier that can tilt with that much weight on it, and why bother, when you can just as easily open the door? It's not like a tilting carrier would save that much time/effort.

Likely the seals still mate-up when closed the same way, and need to work for hard and soft tops, so likely still need to open the rear door to disengage. They could have the window secure the seal, but that would require a mechanism to keep the window in place/locked versus the door doing so.

Maybe the whole back section will open in the "Barn Door" configuration !
Would be nice, but looks like the standard door handle position in the pictures.
Personally I would love to see a 2 way configuration like the Ridgeline, but with the wheel carrier's weight it limits a lot of the options available.

fmjohnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ram 1500, '16 Charger R/T, '13 Commando JK
Flush mount tail lights it appears. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it is a drastic change as far as appearance. It jumped right out at me.

Sponsored

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Really getting frustrated with the lack of recent information ! This site has had several "scoops" already, but even the highly regarded "Allpar" has very little new information. In time, in due time, just getting anxious.

Raysrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Charger
I wonder if we'll see anything like that foldover back glass feature in their patent. Not seeing it so far.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flush mount tail lights it appears. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it is a drastic change as far as appearance. It jumped right out at me.
Doesn't look quite flush mount, still appears mainly tapered.

They are getting more and more integrated, which was the case going from the CJ/YJ/TJ to JK. The JK added angles to the tail end so the were still protruding a bit but seemed less of an add-on component vs previous generations. These seem to continue that trend, again projecting out most at the edges, but still not flush like many aftermarket options.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to rain on the parade, but that rear end is still camoflaged. There is no way it is angled or raked forward. That makes no artistic or functional sense, at all. I doubt the tail lights will be flush, either. They are blocked by the same camo. Look, the rest of the JL is barely evolutionary, and mostly unmolested compared to the styling on the JK. Any real changes are subtle. The FCA execs have repeated over and over that they won't screw this thing up. That means no radical departures. You are looking at a camoflaged rear end that looks just like a JK. My money says the only change will be the jerry can design on the tail lights, the moving of the wiper motor, and maybe details on the hinge and handle design. Beyond that, there won't be much.