summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

There's a dealer named Lucky Lopez who has a Youtube channel where he shares information from the perspective of the dealer. He has a lot of interesting factoids you never hear from the mainstream media.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I actually don't. They're the ones driving up the prices. Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY.
Are you saying that I should have settled for a Yugo after my Jeep was totaled in October? I apparently didn't need a new Jeep when that happened, right?

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I actually don't. They're the ones driving up the prices. Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY. So they are willingly pushing prices through the roof. Until these "pay anything" people are exhausted, prices will continue to climb. We're also finding out that a lot of the people buying new vehicles over the course of the past couple years were buying things way out of their price range, and are paying sometimes 50% of their gross income for them, and also have over 150% loan to value. Total debt junkies.
I willingly pushed prices up in March of 2021 when it took me all of 3 weeks to get my Jeep.
In fact I tipped my dealer to lengthen shipment dates and screw every customer after me.
I'm living in a refrigerator box ...but screw it I got my Jeep.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Why are you defensive right now? If something I post does not apply to you, it does not apply.
You explicitly included everyone in your response when you said "Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY."

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You explicitly included everyone in your response when you said "Nobody needs a new Jeep. NOBODY."
A new car is a discretionary purchase. Just because your used Jeep was totaled out doesn't mean you NEEDED to replace it with a new Jeep, you could have purchased a used Jeep.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

A new car is a discretionary purchase. Just because your used Jeep was totaled out doesn't mean you NEEDED to replace it with a new Jeep, you could have purchased a used Jeep.
Absolutely, but used Jeeps were selling for similar or higher prices than used Jeeps.

I spent a crapload on a brand spanking new Jeep. Then I had it shipped to Michigan for $23k of upgrades. Then another $23k of additions as well as work done by local shops.

I also paid about $6k under MSRP for it and am helping hundreds of other people get similar discounts.

So, by buying that Jeep I've helped pay the salaries of factory workers and others at Jeep, people working at a dealership in Kentucky, people working at AEV in Michigan, people working at various companies across the US and Canada that are in the Jeep industry, and local businesses.

Who did you help by not buying a new Jeep?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I sold my 2018 last fall for $5k more than I paid for it new. Are the people driving the cost of used cars higher than new cars the heros in your story? Also, I am genuinely curious where the supply of used Jeeps will come from after everyone stops buying new ones.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I sold my 2018 last fall for $5k more than I paid for it new. Are the people driving the cost of used cars higher than new cars the heros in your story? Also, I am genuinely curious where the supply of used Jeeps will come from after everyone stops buying new ones.
Let's not confuse the issue with logic.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Absolutely, but used Jeeps were selling for similar or higher prices than used Jeeps.

I spent a crapload on a brand spanking new Jeep. Then I had it shipped to Michigan for $23k of upgrades. Then another $23k of additions as well as work done by local shops.

I also paid about $6k under MSRP for it and am helping hundreds of other people get similar discounts.

So, by buying that Jeep I've helped pay the salaries of factory workers and others at Jeep, people working at a dealership in Kentucky, people working at AEV in Michigan, people working at various companies across the US and Canada that are in the Jeep industry, and local businesses.

Who did you help by not buying a new Jeep?
A virtue-signaling hero. Got it.

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I don't know where you dreamed that up, but my point was that I do not feel sorry for any of these people who are grossly overpaying for new or used vehicles. They are the ones responsible for the price increases. Is it that hard for you to understand?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I don't know where you dreamed that up, but my point was that I do not feel sorry for any of these people who are grossly overpaying for new or used vehicles. They are the ones responsible for the price increases. Is it that hard for you to understand?
What happened to new cars being a frivolous purchase and folks should be buying used cars? I guess it's respectable that you've changed your position now that you've learned about the realities of the used car market for the last couple of years. Knowledge is power!

So I guess now it's nobody buy cars at all until the industry collapses and the prices come down? Perhaps we could apply this macroeconomic wizardry more broadly... Golly I think you've found a fix for inflation!

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What happened to new cars being a frivolous purchase and folks should be buying used cars? I guess it's respectable that you've changed your position now that you've learned about the realities of the used car market for the last couple of years. Knowledge is power!
So much internet bravado....

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
So much internet bravado....
I'm pretty sure internet bravado is trying to tell other people, whom you've never met, what you think they need or don't need.

Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Buy now or forever hold your wallet. šŸ˜
Bit of a catch 22, huh. Dammed if you do, dammed if you donā€™t. I canceled a 2021 order due to financial reasons. Figured ā€œIā€™ll order in a year or two.ā€ had I known prices would go up this much, this fast, I wouldā€™ve just picked up an extra shift at work lol. Kind of kicking myself now that Iā€™m looking to order again.
Sponsored