Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the ideas. I checked and my coolant is full and I don't have an aux battery to go bad. The mystery continues...
maybe you have a faulty temperature sensor?

13k miles on my Jeep and I needed to get the temp sensor replaced. It kept having my fan on SUPER LOUD and it wouldn’t stop. Also had my temperature needle to the max. I knew this wasn’t correct because this would happen after I cranked it although it had been sitting over night. Hoodwas cold to the touch yet temp read that it was overheated.

took it to the dealer and they replaced the sensor and everything was fixed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. I just wish it wasn't intermittent so it was easier to diagnose.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. I just wish it wasn't intermittent so it was easier to diagnose.
Just a thought: have you read through your owner’s manual about cooling (if they have a section on this)? The owner’s manual may make mention of a decrease in power when/if the Jeep tries to cool everything at once under tremendous “heat stress”. If this is a normal thing, the owner’s manual should make note of it.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the idea but I've already read it. It just says if you overheat to turn off the A/C and slow down which is what I have been already doing when it happens.

Freddyd

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diquattro
I haven't figured it out yet. I removed my lights hoping more airflow would help but it didn't. Mine didn't start doing it until recently so I have a hard time believing it's "normal". I'm getting a new thermostat installed tomorrow so I'll report back here if it does any good. I doubt it will and I hate throwing parts at it but I can hope. It was still doing it driving down to Moab and then to New Mexico over the weekend. Mine does it on steep grades also but has done it before at 65 mph in 80 degree weather on relative flat ground. It's very frustrating :mad:
[/QUOTE

Sponsored

Freddyd

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diquattro
I live in Phoenix and have a 2019 JLU with the 2.0 turbo. Going into limp mode up hills and getting up to 245 degrees. Curious if anyone has upgraded to a larger radiator. I have a significant amount of weight on my jeep with one tons and 40s and I think the load is too much for the stock cooling system. Never had this problem before adding the weight. Jeep drives normal around town and on highway, it is only climbing hills when RPMs are higher where I am heating up.

Freddyd

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diquattro
I had a rented 2.0 JLUR in Utah for a couple weeks that did what you describe. Cruising at 80 on the highway it went into what felt like a limp mode, and was significantly down on power (to the point that it would no longer hold 7th or 8th gear).

I don't know what my water or oil temps were at the time, because I had never been in a JL before, and didn't know how to navigate the menus 😅 But this was not accompanied by any idiot lights or alerts on the infotainment screens. Coolant level was fine. Vehicle only had 16,000 miles at the time.

Both times, when it was parked and allowed to cool, it went back to normal. I chalked it up to an extremely aggressive limp mode that killed boost once a certain temperature threshold was reached, but I have no idea.
This is exactly what is happening to my 2019 2.0. Heating up on hills and limp mode.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had the coolant flushed at 98,000 miles and then when that didn't help I had them put in a new thermostat at around 104,000 miles. I have a drop in air filter I got at 49,000 miles that I clean regularly and I run 5W-30 oil. I also just got a front bumper that sets my winch down lower. It doesn't get hot in the winter so I'm hoping it does better this summer.

Freddyd

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diquattro
Just some basic maintenance questions:

When was the last time you had the coolant flushed?

How clean is your air filter?

What weight oil are you running?
I have 20,000 miles on the jeep and never flushed the radiator, this started happening when I went to 1 ton axels, 40s and 5.37 gears. Seems like the cooling system cannot keep up with the extra weight. I am running the recommended weight in a synthetic oil, always clean my air filter and low winch mount on my bumper. when i accelerate on the freeway to get up to speed it climbs from 195 to 220 pretty quickly and cools down very quickly when i decelerate. Fan seems to be working normal....would this extra load warrant an upgraded cooling system? if so what? i do not see that anyone has found a solution but many people are experiencing the same problem with the 2.0 under a load.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
So I have 96,000 miles on my 2.0 and have always loved it but I'm on a trip to Phoenix to do some wheeling and it's been getting a little hotter than usual on the hills on the freeway. Getting up to 245 degrees or so. A little hot isn't a big deal to me except it is losing power also. I can still keep going but I'm floored going up a hill on the freeway. Any ideas what it could be? I've checked the fluids and all of the obvious things.

Luckily it hasn't effected my wheeling :) No problems with it on the trails.
I don't of your engine cooling system but if it has a vicious fan, the fan may not be locking up due to a loss of fluid. Check by turning the fan blades by hand when the engine is cool (NOT when running :)

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
The 2.0 does not have a mechanical fan. They're all electric. Have you verified the fans are turning on low/high at appropriate temperatures? Could there be an issue with the fan motor?

Also, the intercooler in these is liquid cooled and has its own coolant reservoir. Be sure to double check it's in good health too.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I have 20,000 miles on the jeep and never flushed the radiator, this started happening when I went to 1 ton axels, 40s and 5.37 gears. Seems like the cooling system cannot keep up with the extra weight. I am running the recommended weight in a synthetic oil, always clean my air filter and low winch mount on my bumper. when i accelerate on the freeway to get up to speed it climbs from 195 to 220 pretty quickly and cools down very quickly when i decelerate. Fan seems to be working normal....would this extra load warrant an upgraded cooling system? if so what? i do not see that anyone has found a solution but many people are experiencing the same problem with the 2.0 under a load.
In your situation, it sounds like there is a pretty clear culprit that caused the hotter temps. Those one tons weigh quite a bit more than the factory axles but the additional rotating mass is probably the biggest load on your engine. In the OP's situation, it doesn't sound like anything in terms of set up has really changed so a little more annoying.

I mentioned oil weight because the "old school" thought is that a heavier weight oil should be used in the summer time. I was just wondering if anyone considered that idea or not.

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Here is what I discovered and what I am working on
This is how the cooling system works or not working
The thermostat opens at 190 degrees
The cooling fans comes on at 1/4 speed at 221 and will only go fulls speed at 231 degrees
I have been trying to get control of the cooling system by adding a pusher fan on the condenser put this is what I found
Most cars including the jeep JK the condenser is mounted 1/4 to 1/2 in. from the radiator
On the Jeep JL the condenser is about 1. 1/2 in. away from the radiator
I can get the pusher fan to shoot air though the condenser at 150 MPH put as soon as it hit the radiator the air blows out the large gaps between the condenser and radiator and NO air going through the radiator
Next step was to close the caps between the condenser and radiator to force the air through the radiator
So now with the gaps closed off I have about 15% of the air going through the radiator and the rest of the air is blowing back though the condenser and trans cooler
Two things wrong here. The gap between the condenser is to large and the radiator WILL NOT allow free flowing air to pass through it whether you are pushing air at 150 mph with a fan or diving down the road at 60 /70 mph and that is why you see a 30 to 40 degree swing in the coolant temps. You would thing driving down the road you are getting air passing through the radiator put you are getting very little to none until the fan kicks in and sucking the air through the radiator
I ordered a Mishimoto radiator (back ordered) it looks to have a more open core that will allow more free flowing air to pass through
I will install the Mishimoto and see how it goes
And NO. The radiator is not plugged in any way inside or out side. The jeep did this from day one . New in 2020
The Engineers got this one wrong and they knew it from what I have read
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

UPDATE
The Mishimoto radiator made no difference in lowering the temperature
Step 2
Just installed the Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
This is a game changer . Here is how your fan will work with this device

Operation:

When the engine is running the PWM fan will run at a low Idle speed (15%).
When the module reads the engine temp it will command the fan to the desired %.

Fahrenheit

199 degrees = 30%

205 degrees = 50%

212 degrees = 75%

218+ degrees = 100%

Override inputs: These are optional inputs depending on if you ordered them.

These inputs will run the fan as long as the unit is powered up, the engine does not have to be running for these to work. You can use these in various ways.

Example:
When the ( VIOLET ) wire has 12 volts applied the fan will run at MAX speed.

RESULTS WITH THE JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER INSTALLED
I have only three days of testing put my temps now run at idle 188 to 192 all day long
Normal driving I see 192 to 195 and 199 to 205 under hard acceleration put comes down real fast once it hit 199 and kicks the fan in at 30%
This weekend I will be testing on a long up hill drive put I suspect only 215 tops
I will keep you updated

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme
205-631-8225 6774 Old Hwy 31N
Rpmextreme.com Gardendale, AL 35071

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just installed the Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
This is a game changer .
I looked at this online and it says it is for the 3.6 liter engine. Do you have the 2.0? Is it easy to install? This will be my next thing to try if it works for the 2.0. Thanks for doing all the research and trial and error of things!
Sponsored