First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, please let us know how it works out. That may be an upgrade in my future.

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
No joke, I almost overheated in an ice storm once. Front of the vehicle was solid ice, and thick! I noticed my temp gauge slowly climbing as I drove, and it just kept going up and up with ever mile. Made it to a truck stop to figure out why it was running so dang hot when it was so cold out… and then I saw the front!

That was fun to try and chip away with the tiny little scraper I had. I shouldn’t have been driving, but I’m an idiot

Tool Man

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Recon
I live in Phoenix and when I leave town going up north to Flagstaff or Payson climbing the long grade hills my 2020 jl 2.0 torque does the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they said this was normal. I find it hard to believe that running this hot is normal and its not that safe for it it go into limp mode when you are trying to pass someone and it does this. ugh following this thread hoping someone will come up with a fix.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I haven't figured it out yet. I removed my lights hoping more airflow would help but it didn't. Mine didn't start doing it until recently so I have a hard time believing it's "normal". I'm getting a new thermostat installed tomorrow so I'll report back here if it does any good. I doubt it will and I hate throwing parts at it but I can hope. It was still doing it driving down to Moab and then to New Mexico over the weekend. Mine does it on steep grades also but has done it before at 65 mph in 80 degree weather on relative flat ground. It's very frustrating :mad:

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For what it's worth I experienced this when using the "Free" gas my company provides. They will only pay for 87 and it's complete garbage. I noticed my temp raise and I lost power. The solution I found was to add octane boost to this wonderful gas and all those issues disappeared near instantly. I've tinkered with vehicles since I was 15 and have never experienced this nor heard of it, but the proof is in the pudding.
To naysayers, I ran the same wonderful gas a second time without the octane boost, same result. If I run 87 from a top tier gas station I don't have the same results. It's only this wonderful River City Petroleum. So, I figure my "Free" gas costs $10.00 for the octane boost. It's hard to pass up 16 gallons of gas for $10.00 right now.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Free gas would be hard to pass up! I typically run the top octane available and usually at Chevron although not always. I'll have to pay more attention to that. I had my thermostat replaced and that didn't seem to do much good but I haven't had it up to 80 and pulling a steep hill which is when it always manifests. I'm pulling a trailer (little 4x6) to Vail, Colorado the second week of September to go wheeling so that will be the real test.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I’m having a similar issue in my 2019 2.0. I live in Phoenix, just had the main battery replaced last year. Got oil changed last month, they told me the battery is going…but not low enough for Jeep to replace. Since that oil change, my ESS light has been on…though they said nothing about the small battery, just primary. Now, I was idling in a drive thru, my radiator fan was running so loud that I had to turn the Jeep off to order…and I started getting the Engine Overheating message on the dash. As soon as I’m moving again, the temp drops.
I have no clue if these are related or just a couple things going wrong at once. Thoughts?

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m having a similar issue in my 2019 2.0. I live in Phoenix, just had the main battery replaced last year. Got oil changed last month, they told me the battery is going…but not low enough for Jeep to replace. Since that oil change, my ESS light has been on…though they said nothing about the small battery, just primary. Now, I was idling in a drive thru, my radiator fan was running so loud that I had to turn the Jeep off to order…and I started getting the Engine Overheating message on the dash. As soon as I’m moving again, the temp drops.
I have no clue if these are related or just a couple things going wrong at once. Thoughts?
So, in response to this….the Coolant temp doesn’t rise until the Rad Fan kicks on high. I live in AZ, so the Coolant sitting at 205 seems normal when it’s 110. Rad kicks on high and won’t cool off until I start driving again. It’s as if it turns on when it’s not needed…but temp spikes quick!

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
Free gas would be hard to pass up! I typically run the top octane available and usually at Chevron although not always. I'll have to pay more attention to that. I had my thermostat replaced and that didn't seem to do much good but I haven't had it up to 80 and pulling a steep hill which is when it always manifests. I'm pulling a trailer (little 4x6) to Vail, Colorado the second week of September to go wheeling so that will be the real test.
Hope your trip is going well...

Just started having issues this weekend. Pretty standard trip to Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma over the weekend. I40 East on Friday started having issues losing power felt like the turbo was completely shutting off. Could not trace it down until on the way back today.
Thought low voltage and fuse box being hot might have an electrical issue.
Thought maybe had our trailer brakes dragging causing issue.
Finally shifted it to oil temperature and noticed right around 250* is when limp mode/turbo kick out started.
Stopped for gas and it cools down to normal temperature. (200)

Everything works fine until you hit back to 250. Really struggles to cool while under load, cools quickly after slowing way down.
Have towed the same trailer all across Oklahoma in the summer and up through Colorado, over Slumgullion and Cottonwood passes.

Visual check of radiator shows bugs but nothing crazy.
I'll wash and check levels tomorrow.

Big trip to New Mexico/Colorado/Moab in about 2 weeks and starting to get very concerned.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'll have to look at all my temps. I didn't think about looking at anything else. Sorry you're having this issue too. It sucks not knowing what's wrong.

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
More digging and forum searching this morning. Actually had time to get under it.

Significantly low on coolant. Off the dipstick, can't tell how far off. Still in the black reservoir at least.
Don't know that I've had a vehicle the last 20 years that didn't notify me if the coolant was low. Lesson learned.

Don't see any location for leaks. No milky oil.

Dealer appointment next week for Rear Axle Locker and see if there's something else going on with coolant.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport (Mojito!, 3-piece hardtop, automatic 3.6L, molded running boards); '18 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT
Vehicle Showcase
- check your coolant reservoir.
- the aux battery may be faulty and it can cause some pretty weird things to occur. If the ESS light is on it could be a faulty aux battery.

My ESS light came on in this situation but also when there were misfires in some of my cylinders.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport (Mojito!, 3-piece hardtop, automatic 3.6L, molded running boards); '18 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT
Vehicle Showcase
More digging and forum searching this morning. Actually had time to get under it.

Significantly low on coolant. Off the dipstick, can't tell how far off. Still in the black reservoir at least.
Don't know that I've had a vehicle the last 20 years that didn't notify me if the coolant was low. Lesson learned.

Don't see any location for leaks. No milky oil.

Dealer appointment next week for Rear Axle Locker and see if there's something else going on with coolant.
YUP!!! This happened to me. No low coolant light to warn that I had a coolant leak/very low coolant levels. No puddles of coolant under the jeep, no smoke out my pipes.

Coolant escaped through to the engine that had blown gaskets and warped my cylinders. Engine must be replaced at this point.

Took it to the dealer and at first they thought it was a faulty EGR cooler. Took it to another dealer and they opened up the heads to find my Cylinders warped with residue of coolant inside. They said the engine was burning it and this is why there was no indication that i had a coolant leak when my temp gauge crept up above mid.

If you are under warranty, please let the dealer inspect and make notations of your low coolant levels. BTW the only light that came on was my ESS.

OP
OP
Medsker

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the ideas. I checked and my coolant is full and I don't have an aux battery to go bad. The mystery continues...

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fell into a 4xe Rubi on a lot at one of the stores I train and was able to get it a bit below list. Their Techs couldn’t figure out what was going on either, so I went a different route. Weird stuff.

Motor City Aftermarket