Sponsored

Overheated need answers!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So today I was on my to a job site, in ojai from Oakhurst . Left it was. 37 in the valley 61 Jeep is cruising along just fine and out of nowhere it over heats. Like in about 3 min. Pulled over Let it cool. Then same thing. Call AAA they’ll tow but I can’t ride with them they told me to get an Uber. Are you kidding ? In the middle of farm lands 30 miles from any town. Ahh but. I rant the Jeep has just 50k on it. Any one else overheat. Like this I mean over the next 4 hours I drove maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile over heat. Any ideas on why? Dealer said thermostat stuck.

At 50k. He also said and this is what worries me that the overheating may have done internal damage to “be discovered later”. Head gaskets etc! It’s a problem because I drive from Oakhurst to San Diego weekly. And now I would be worrying if it would break down.
So the only silver lining is now I am looking at a gladiator
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On my JK it failed at 36,000 mi!es. Some last a long time some don't. The dealer has a checklist of items to check to see what is wrong. Could be radiator fan, or a relay. They can also check to see if it generated a code.
I assume as soon as you saw the temperature gauge rise you pulled over and let it cool down. If so shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Yeah dealer said thermostat. Question is would that damage other internal engine parts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Yeah I pulled over again and again. Drove a little. Then repeat

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Never heard of the issue but I am new to Jeeps. I had the opposite problem, while wheeling I had to climb over a rock and give some gas. Fan went crazy, you could hear it roaring for a good while as I continued and climbed up the rocky hill. Temps never budged, and I would hardly say the JT struggled at all. Might be a “feature” of the fancy cooling system.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah dealer said thermostat. Question is would that damage other internal engine parts?
Only if you continued to drive it with an extreme temperature. Decades ago, thermostats seemed to fail every 1 or 2 years. Unfortunately, I attempted to drive a vehicle that was overheating for several miles and did blow a head gasket.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

thermostats do fail. with the new electronic water pumps, cooling fans, and "smart computers" controlling everything i know that the jeep runs the pump very low appon start up to help the jeep get to full operating temp as quick as possible. once its at temp it monitors temp and turns on and off the fan and speeds it up as needed to maintain the "normal" operating temps... i see you said the dealer showed a failed t-stat. that makes 100% to me as to why it was so quick to overheat. and for
@PyrPatriot the jl and JT line have super loud fans. if you turn your a/c on full blast you'll get the jet engine of a fan running full speed to help cool the jeep down.also if your an automatic the jeep is going to monitor the temp of the trans and ramp the cooling fan up to help cool the oil for the transmission. with hill climbing you will generate alot more heat in the transmission.
Sponsored