First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
Well, the clutch is fixed with a recall. Steering is fixed with a TSB. My dealer handled both with no questions asked. The steering damper was installed before I bought. I never noticed an issue with the clutch. The upgraded steering box was a huge improvement - I'd recommend it for every '18-'20 Wrangler.

For context - my '18 was a leftover when I bought it in October 2019. It had been on the lot for over a year with very few miles on it, like 100 or so. It was our third "fun" vehicle when we bought it and once COVID kicked in March 2020, it wasn't driven more than ~50 miles a week at most due to telework. Despite how long it's sat since we bought it, it's been steadfastly reliable (as I expected). Only at 7,500 miles so far. My only "issue" is a chronically slow clock on the base 5" Uconnect3 unit which to my knowledge is not even offered anymore.

I'm very satisfied with the quality and reliability of my JLU. It's very clearly the best designed and built Jeep I've been in (my first ownership, but I've been in JKs and TJs) and very comfortable to live with everyday. I love its styling and its practicality for my young growing family. I ended up selling my "practical" hatchback Mazda3 because the Jeep is just as practical but much more fun overall (despite how sporty and fun the Mazda3 was).
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
My 2020 JLUR is completely stock and I rarely wheel it. Have had for 18 months now without any major issues except for the Steering which a TSB can fix (been too lazy). Otherwise it hasnt let me down ever!

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Mammoth Boulder headlock look alikes. 22lbs. Easy to clean. Lifetime warranty. Machined ring face doesn't show the scars. Super happy
Good info thanks! Nice weight too.

Sponsored

MN-Clay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chev Silverado; 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2019 JLUR, ~35k miles, hard top, v6, auto, stock bumpers, suspension and tires. Some moderate/light wheeling. No significant issues. The lockers glitched once and a single recall early but otherwise it's ran and performed great. Love it.

20201107_124334.jpg

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Well, the clutch is fixed with a recall. Steering is fixed with a TSB. My dealer handled both with no questions asked. The steering damper was installed before I bought. I never noticed an issue with the clutch. The upgraded steering box was a huge improvement - I'd recommend it for every '18-'20 Wrangler.

For context - my '18 was a leftover when I bought it in October 2019. It had been on the lot for over a year with very few miles on it, like 100 or so. It was our third "fun" vehicle when we bought it and once COVID kicked in March 2020, it wasn't driven more than ~50 miles a week at most due to telework. Despite how long it's sat since we bought it, it's been steadfastly reliable (as I expected). Only at 7,500 miles so far. My only "issue" is a chronically slow clock on the base 5" Uconnect3 unit which to my knowledge is not even offered anymore.

I'm very satisfied with the quality and reliability of my JLU. It's very clearly the best designed and built Jeep I've been in (my first ownership, but I've been in JKs and TJs) and very comfortable to live with everyday. I love its styling and its practicality for my young growing family. I ended up selling my "practical" hatchback Mazda3 because the Jeep is just as practical but much more fun overall (despite how sporty and fun the Mazda3 was).
Jeep issued a stop delivery order on all manual transmission jeeps last week because even the new ones are still having issues. They also issued a new safety recall because previously issued recall didn't fix the issue.

Last edited:

Equator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2021
Just slightly over 6,000 miles on my 2021 JL. So far no issues.

Sponsored

Darkfart

First Name
Jaco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Had all sorts of issues with my JLU, from death wobble to faulty locker sensor, and the dealers here in the Middle East are particularly slow to fix these. Been running with a faulty sensor since October last year, cant use my lockers because of it. Death Wobble since December also no resolution... I was an avid jeep fanatic, my current experience changed that... not fun having my friends at Toyota camp laugh at me

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep issued a stop delivery order on all manual transmission jeeps last week because even the new ones are still having issues. They also issued a new safety recall because previously issued recall didn't fix the issue.
Great. That's what I get for giving any credit to FCA lol

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
2018 JLUS, 20k miles so far and zero issues.
Sponsored