Ordering Proximity Keyless Entry

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Yeah, this is a bit of a rant so apologies in advance. I swear Jeep does this on purpose just to extract as much money as humanly possible from each buyer. According to the website, you cannot buy keyless entry on a Willy's unless you pay at least ~$4k for the half-doors. This is just another slap from Jeep to go along with not being able to get full LED lights all around without buying two separate packages (again, on some models), not being able to get the 8" screen on certain models, etc., etc., etc.. This can't be a simple mistake on Jeep's part. Some bean-counter in Jeep is responsible for this decision. I don't begrudge Jeep or any business for trying to make money, but it really feels like Jeep goes out of their way to really screw their customers sometimes. The more I compare the Bronco configurator against the Jeep configurator, the more attractive the Bronco looks. Jeep acts as if there is still no competition to the Wrangler out there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering Proximity Keyless Entry 1624033578358
Sponsored

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
I just ordered a Rubicon and it didn't require a door change to add proximity keyless entry 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
L1011

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
I just ordered a Rubicon and it didn't require a door change to add proximity keyless entry 🤷‍♂️
Correct. The Rubicon is not affected by this. But why the Willy's or the Sport models? That's my complaint.

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
Correct. The Rubicon is not affected by this. But why the Willy's or the Sport models? That's my complaint.
I agree with the sentiment though, I wanted the forward "off-road" camera, but it was going to force me to get the outrageously priced LED light package. I'll just add one aftermarket.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Actually as of last month if ordering a Rubicon you were FORCED to buy the proximity, you didn't have a choice. You're right, it doesn't make any sense except to the bean counters.

Sponsored

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Yeah, this is a bit of a rant so apologies in advance. I swear Jeep does this on purpose just to extract as much money as humanly possible from each buyer. According to the website, you cannot buy keyless entry on a Willy's unless you pay at least ~$4k for the half-doors. This is just another slap from Jeep to go along with not being able to get full LED lights all around without buying two separate packages (again, on some models), not being able to get the 8" screen on certain models, etc., etc., etc.. This can't be a simple mistake on Jeep's part. Some bean-counter in Jeep is responsible for this decision. I don't begrudge Jeep or any business for trying to make money, but it really feels like Jeep goes out of their way to really screw their customers sometimes. The more I compare the Bronco configurator against the Jeep configurator, the more attractive the Bronco looks. Jeep acts as if there is still no competition to the Wrangler out there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering Proximity Keyless Entry 1624033578358
it’s just because it’s one of the cheaper models, my assumption is they do it to try to keep the MSRP of things down on certain model by grouping it together, or so they could advertise lower prices, like jeeps on lots probably won’t have half doors so it keeps the price down, plus they probably assume people buying a sport or willys aren’t as concerned with some options

they could also be trying to push you towards a Sahara if you want them, it’s all strategy to move buyers to their more profitable models or to make their lower ones more appealing in their marketing programs at dealers

I work for Nissan Canada and they do the same kind of things it’s just hard to say exactly their reasoning, but it is definitely not a mistake, it’s on the Jeep Canada website Too, and Jeep Canada is separate from Jeep US

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I ordered a 2021 Willys JLU back in November with the Sky One Touch and a good friend on mine wants the same but now Jeep does not offer the SOT in the Willys anymore?

It's tough to keep up with the changes month to month.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I've seen all kinds of odd options on dealer inventory that the catalog says shouldn't happen (shrug).

At any rate, I just got done installing proximity locks on the wifes sport altitude last weekend. It's super easy, do it yourself. Parts are a little over 400 for both fronts and the swing gate, and the J Scan license is $23. Save yourself about $3500 (unless you want those half doors..).

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Keep in mind also that the online configurator is well-known for being inaccurate, buggy, and out-of-date. It still shows Chief on there and doesn't show Gecko, etc.

Use it as a general guide, but ultimately, it'll come down to what the dealer is actually able to input. So it's worth a call/email to a dealer before you make decisions based on the configurator.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The recent order guides don't allow the remote proximity locks on any of the sport model variations without the half doors.

At the beginning of the year none of sport models could have the remote proximity locks, when the 80th was released that model was the only one of the sport variations. Then the half door were introduced and you could get it with only the half doors, then in March they allowed it for all models except the Sport and Willy's Sport. It was short lived, one month later, it was removed from all sport variation including the 80th unless half doors were ordered.

Ultimately, it comes down to what your dealer allow them to enter and when Stellanis accepts that order.

Sponsored

snazzysahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Altitude
Actually as of last month if ordering a Rubicon you were FORCED to buy the proximity, you didn't have a choice. You're right, it doesn't make any sense except to the bean counters.
The Sahara also requires the proximity key add-on. I wasn’t thrilled, but on the bright side—I was lucky enough to get two keys at delivery, I’ve heard many people are only getting one.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
The Sahara also requires the proximity key add-on. I wasn’t thrilled, but on the bright side—I was lucky enough to get two keys at delivery, I’ve heard many people are only getting one.
That is the most bizarre thing. I have never bought a new vehicle that came with only one key. Usually two, and sometimes a third partially abled “valet” key. I received two key fobs, but I have remote start and proximity key also, if that makes any difference.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I’m coming from the Bronco side and it’s not all peaches and cream over there either. Yes base models do have many things I won’t repeat here but there are still packages you cannot get unless you order a higher trimmed Bronco.
Want the big screen? Go up two trim levels. Want adaptive cruise or heated steering wheel? Gotta go “Lux” package and of course Lux is not offered until you get into the higher trim levels.
Yes you can get 35’s, lockers and beadlock capable wheels on a base but you can’t have many of the cooler options.
Oh you want those 35’s with a manual transmission? Not this year buddy.

snazzysahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Altitude
That is the most bizarre thing. I have never bought a new vehicle that came with only one key. Usually two, and sometimes a third partially abled “valet” key. I received two key fobs, but I have remote start and proximity key also, if that makes any difference.
I think the infamous “chip shortage” is why some people are only getting one key for now and supposedly why they’re keeping the proximity keys for the higher trims and the standard keys for the lower trims. Who knows what the real logic behind the whole mess is though! 🤷🏼‍♀️

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Ha! Ford just highlighted that their first dealer delivered Bronco went to Yark Ford in Toledo Ohio, my home town.
I think they were trying to make a statement on that one.
Sponsored