Sponsored

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
This feature is probably not that well suited for a Wrangler, especially for a soft top or no top. Even though I have that feature on my current car, I like it, but perhaps not on a Wrangler.
Sponsored

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
It is definitely a button ... used as one way to lock the doors if you have Passive Entry. It's NOT for unlocking though. That comes by touching the back of the handle as you grab it.

See below from User Guide:
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 2.48.57 PM.png

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It is definitely a button ... used as one way to lock the doors if you have Passive Entry. It's NOT for unlocking though. That comes by touching the back of the handle as you grab it.

See below from User Guide:
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 2.48.57 PM.png
I ordered this feature, because why not, but sucks that you have to press a button to lock. With my Yukon, all I have to do is walk away. Once out of range the car locks automatically.

With soft top, no top, or no doors a locking is useless, anyway, I guess.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Not sure there is a typical situation for push button start. We've had two Prius, a Lexus, and an Audi that all had push button start and if it came with push button start it automatically had proximity/passive entry. I've seen cheaper cars like a Focus or Corolla without it even though they had push button. I'm just saying on a 50K-ish Sahara or Rubi it should have been included and not an upcharge. I still paid for it but wasn't stoked about having to on a car that $$$ already.
It's good the "real jeep" guys aren't on this forum. This thread would make them crazy.

Sponsored

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
If you DO NOT get the keyless entry does it still come with push button start?

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
It's good the "real jeep" guys aren't on this forum. This thread would make them crazy.
What does that mean? What is a real Jeep guy? I thought we were a community with different needs and wants that all share a common love of an awesome vehicle. Maybe “real” means something different to you. BTW, this is our third Wrangler and with my new Rubi my wife and I will be a two Wrangler family, both our DDs.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What does that mean? What is a real Jeep guy? I thought we were a community with different needs and wants that all share a common love of an awesome vehicle. Maybe “real” means something different to you. BTW, this is our third Wrangler and with my new Rubi my wife and I will be a two Wrangler family, both our DDs.
Lighten up.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
^^^^
I love when people after being called out say “Lighten up.” or “ you just don’t get the joke”… If you own a Jeep, you are a “real Jeep” owner.

Anyway,

I had the proximity access on last few Audi, BMW, and now the VW cars. This was not a standard equipment on any of them and was much more expensive that what JEEP is asking… I will order this option on my JLUR. I love having the key in my pocket or briefcase and just grabbing the door to open. I agree that this option will be used more often in my other cars then the Jeep but would not want to go without it. I still think that having a push button start and not having the proximity access defeats the purpose of push button, but most of the manufactures went this way. It is cheaper for them to install a button then a mechanical switch and they realized that if the try to charge for this option people will not select it costing them more to manufacture.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
^^^^
I love when people after being called out say “Lighten up.” or “ you just don’t get the joke”… If you own a Jeep, you are a “real Jeep” owner.

Anyway,

I had the proximity access on last few Audi, BMW, and now the VW cars. This was not a standard equipment on any of them and was much more expensive that what JEEP is asking… I will order this option on my JLUR. I love having the key in my pocket or briefcase and just grabbing the door to open. I agree that this option will be used more often in my other cars then the Jeep but would not want to go without it. I still think that having a push button start and not having the proximity access defeats the purpose of push button, but most of the manufactures went this way. It is cheaper for them to install a button then a mechanical switch and they realized that if the try to charge for this option people will not select it costing them more to manufacture.
Ugh. I apologize. It was just a joke. I don't consider myself a "real Jeep" guy whatever that is. That's why I put it in quotes. And I am certainly not judging anyone else on whether they are or not and if it reads that way then I definitely am sorry about that.

It was just as much a joke about "Real Jeep" guys who are upset about the Wrangler softening up as about the guys complaining about having to push a button to unlock doors on a vehicle where the doors come off. To me there is some humor in there somewhere but I guess it came out wrong.

And I don't want to derail this thread. For reference, my mom's car has this feature and it is convenient. And it is a Honda Accord so not in the price range of a high trim Wrangler.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I only wish they would offer this feature on the Sport S. :(

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I only wish they would offer this feature on the Sport S. :(
I have spent more time that i want to admit building cars on the web in NA as i need to buy two new cars in two months. After purchaser 3 new cars in Europe last years I'm sorry to see the way manufactures are packaging vehicle in NA...

There are people mentioning in this post about aftermarket option take a look in to this.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have spent more time that i want to admit building cars on the web in NA as i need to buy two new cars in two months. After purchaser 3 new cars in Europe last years I'm sorry to see the way manufactures are packaging vehicle in NA...

There are people mentioning in this post about aftermarket option take a look in to this.
Yeah, I know there are options out there, but would prefer OEM if possible.