Sponsored

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I currently have a 2010 Toyota RAV4 Limited model that has the proximity feature. On the RAV4, the button the the door handle locks all the doors when you press it. To unlock the doors, without taking the key out of your pocket, all you need to do is put your hand behind the door handle and it automatically unlocks the door for you. You have to be sure when locking the door by pressing the button on the door handle to not place your hand behind the door handle, otherwise you may unlock the door when you are trying to lock them. Not sure if the jeep proximity feature will work the same, but it might.
It's the same according to owner's manual. What I don't see is an automatic walk away lock feature found on other vehicles. You have to press the button on the door handle or remote key fob to lock the doors. Oh the humanity!
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I was peved until I saw the price. Now I'm glad I saved the 500 bucks. I've never had it before, so I won't miss it. It would have been nice, though. I'll put the 500 bucks toward 35's.
Trust me, you don't need it. It's a PIA. My wife's Grand Cherokee has it and it's annoying AF!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I will get a long range remote start put on our jeep when it comes in and for another $70 they will add the proximity feature to it.
Who will do this for $70? Without the proximity package, you won't have the correct door handles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Who will do this for $70? Without the proximity package, you won't have the correct door handles.
It is aftermarket. They can do all kinds of work arounds. They probably have their own proprietary sensor which taps into the existing remote lock/unlock. When it senses your keyfob, it sends a command to the regular remote locks. Not hard to engineer something like that.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It is aftermarket. They can do all kinds of work arounds. They probably have their own proprietary sensor which taps into the existing remote lock/unlock. When it senses your keyfob, it sends a command to the regular remote locks. Not hard to engineer something like that.
I see now. I guess aftermarket is your only option on the Sport S since the proximity option is only available on sahara or rubi. I guess a $40k Sport S build is not worthy of such luxuries according to Jeep.

Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Viper and others make this. I can get a 1 mile range for $359 or 3 mile range for $549 or the system you can use with your smart phone, plus the $70 for proximity system. All have lifetime warranty parts and labor with alarm system also.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Typically this is an option, but having it on other vehicles, very convenient and definitely getting it.
Not sure there is a typical situation for push button start. We've had two Prius, a Lexus, and an Audi that all had push button start and if it came with push button start it automatically had proximity/passive entry. I've seen cheaper cars like a Focus or Corolla without it even though they had push button. I'm just saying on a 50K-ish Sahara or Rubi it should have been included and not an upcharge. I still paid for it but wasn't stoked about having to on a car that $$$ already.

Thomastko

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
maybe it is just a sensor, but it sure looks like a button
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 12.08.03 PM.png
Wow i really thought it was a button so for those who didnt order the proximity group they wont have that sensor on the door.

Question they all do have the keyless and go because of the push button but lets just say one day the sensor goes out or even the battery or get the remote wet idk.. how would you even go to the dealer and fix the issue if you cant get it on.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Wow i really thought it was a button so for those who didnt order the proximity group they wont have that sensor on the door.

Question they all do have the keyless and go because of the push button but lets just say one day the sensor goes out or even the battery or get the remote wet idk.. how would you even go to the dealer and fix the issue if you cant get it on.
On my 2010 Toyota RAV4 that has the push button and proximity feature, if the battery goes completly dead in the key fob, you are supposed to hold the key fob directly next to the push button when pressing the button and that should allow the car to start. Once the car is started, it is not necessary to hold the key fob close to the start button. I guess there is some way or feature in the start button to energize the key fob just enough to recognize the key fob in order to let the car to start. I have no idea how all this works, but I think that's what I read in the Toyota manual. I think I had to do this once just after I purchased my RAV4, but that was years ago.

Not sure about it getting wet though.

R&R

First Name
Flloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P51D Yellow Submarine
I've never had any kind of proximity keyless entry system. So does basically all this do is just replace you pressing the button on the key fob to unlock the door?

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I've never had any kind of proximity keyless entry system. So does basically all this do is just replace you pressing the button on the key fob to unlock the door?
Yes, wot!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Looks like you have to press it to lock them so I guess I'll just press it again to unlock them.
The buttons inside or on the handle allow you to lock it. The benefit being you never have to pull the key fob out of your pocket/purse. Like you say, you could easily live without it, but it is convenient.

R&R

First Name
Flloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P51D Yellow Submarine
The buttons inside or on the handle allow you to lock it. The benefit being you never have to pull the key fob out of your pocket/purse. Like you say, you could easily live without it, but it is convenient.
I've got used to pressing the button so I'll just keep doing that. Sometimes it's handy when your vehicle is in the middle of the dark snow covered parking lot anyway.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I push my key fob buttons in my pocket, no need for this, at least for me.
Sponsored