Optimize control unit 2.2 JLU

Rene1678

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 2.2
I intend to have my engine control unit optimized in the near future, so no additional box but having the parameters adjusted directly in the control unit.
According to the statement + approx. 25 hp / + 50 NM
Do you have any experience with it, does the engine withstand it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rene1678

Rene1678

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hat hier jemand wirklich Erfahrung mit dem Tuning des Motors? In the forum I could read that some have optimized the 2.2 with tuning boxes or direct programming, but I don't read anything about various reports of experience with it.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Hat hier jemand wirklich Erfahrung mit dem Tuning des Motors? In the forum I could read that some have optimized the 2.2 with tuning boxes or direct programming, but I don't read anything about various reports of experience with it.
It would "probably" be fine. However, given that Jeep discontinued the 2.2L, repair prices will only go up, so I would avoid doing anything.
Not to mention, getting a lift and huge tires is not really an option for us in Germany and going more than 130 kph means certain death... I'd not really worry about getting more power ;)

OP
OP
Rene1678

Rene1678

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Es wäre "wahrscheinlich" in Ordnung. Da Jeep den 2.2L jedoch eingestellt hat, werden die Reparaturpreise nur steigen, also würde ich es vermeiden, irgendetwas zu tun.
Ganz zu schweigen davon, dass eine Höherlegung und riesige Reifen für uns in Deutschland keine wirkliche Option sind und mehr als 130 km/h zu fahren bedeutet den sicheren Tod ... Ich würde mir keine Sorgen um mehr Leistung machen;)
[/ZITIEREN]
Thank you, I will also do the optimization. I was just worried that there would be a lot of engine damage reported here.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Vergiss nicht, dass die Jeep-Händler in Deutschland total scheiße sind. Wenn sie bemerken, dass Sie die Software geändert haben, werden sie alles versuchen, um alle Reparaturen abzulehnen, und Sie müssen einen Anwalt hinzuziehen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rene1678

Rene1678

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vergiss nicht, dass die Jeep-Händler in Deutschland total scheiße sind. Wenn sie bemerken, dass Sie die Software geändert haben, werden sie alles versuchen, um alle Reparaturen abzulehnen, und Sie müssen einen Anwalt hinzuziehen.
Yes, I think so - thanks for the tip!
It was/is just important to me to know if anyone has ever had any problems after the optimization.

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
I intend to have my engine control unit optimized in the near future, so no additional box but having the parameters adjusted directly in the control unit.
Aside from what the marketing will tell you, you WILL sacrifice reliability and longevity of the engine. The engine is already optimised. They are required to meet emissions standards, reliability standards and keep the customer happy with performance.
Simple consequences might be more soot as a result of altered combustion, meaning the EGR might not work correctly and you end up with a caked up inlet or DPF the can’t cope.
More stonk is always nice. But personally, I think the engine is great, it does everything I ask of it, so why muck with it.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I've had a tuning box on mine since about 6 weeks after I bought it. I got it's because it's removable so when it goes back to the dealer they're none the wiser. I actually get better mileage with the box on than with it off as apparently they run very rich stock. I know a guy who does tuning and he has done a few. Once my warranty has expired I'll be going to him for a proper tune but for now the box does alright. I notice that it holds 8th gear much better on the highway as I also fitted 35s 4 days after I bought it.

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Bare in mind that your engine is optimised for power and reliability from the factory. Regardless of what they say, it will give more power and torque at the expense of reliability to some degree.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bare in mind that your engine is optimized for power and reliability from the factory. Regardless of what they say, it will give more power and torque at the expense of reliability to some degree.
It's optimised for emissions and reliability from the factory. If it was optimised for power it wouldn't be running as rich as it does.

Sponsored

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
It's optimised for emissions and reliability from the factory. If it was optimised for power it wouldn't be running as rich as it does.
Power is still part of the optimisation. So is servicing costs etc. I’m not telling you not to do it. You just have to accept the adverse consequences. Warranty voided etc. Don’t be surprised if you end up more soot in the inlet, DPFs not coping etc etc.

It could be completely fine. But I wheel the hell out of mine, both long touring trips and tough tracks in a fully decked out vehicle and engine performs fine in all conditions. My vehicle is quite modified so I’m not adverse to mods. But I modify my vehicle as I need it.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power is still part of the optimisation. So is servicing costs etc. I’m not telling you not to do it. You just have to accept the adverse consequences. Warranty voided etc. Don’t be surprised if you end up more soot in the inlet, DPFs not coping etc etc.

It could be completely fine. But I wheel the hell out of mine, both long touring trips and tough tracks in a fully decked out vehicle and engine performs fine in all conditions. My vehicle is quite modified so I’m not adverse to mods. But I modify my vehicle as I need it.
The reason I went with a tuning box over having the ECU tuned was it is invisible to the dealer once removed so don't have warranty issues. I remove my tuning box when I take it to the dealer and have run it without the box if I don't have time to reinstall after picking it up. There is a 1 - 2l/100km increase in fuel consumption without the box and it won't hold 8th gear on anything but dead flat or downhill. I'm lifted 3" with 35s, winch and lightbar so fairly aerodynamically impaired. The other week I towed a car trailer with a car on it from Newcastle to Sydney and was able to maintain 110 up all of the hills.

My last vehicle was a Golf R which I tuned fairly extensively. Went from 155kw to 210kw at the wheels. It's still running strongly with 170,000km. Manufacturers significantly detune most vehicles from their power potential.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
The reason I went with a tuning box over having the ECU tuned was it is invisible to the dealer once removed so don't have warranty issues. I remove my tuning box when I take it to the dealer and have run it without the box if I don't have time to reinstall after picking it up. There is a 1 - 2l/100km increase in fuel consumption without the box and it won't hold 8th gear on anything but dead flat or downhill. I'm lifted 3" with 35s, winch and lightbar so fairly aerodynamically impaired. The other week I towed a car trailer with a car on it from Newcastle to Sydney and was able to maintain 110 up all of the hills.

My last vehicle was a Golf R which I tuned fairly extensively. Went from 155kw to 210kw at the wheels. It's still running strongly with 170,000km. Manufacturers significantly detune most vehicles from their power potential.
Not sure that I would agree that they detune the engine. Manufacturers are actually pretty good at getting the most efficiency and power out of their engines while still meeting the emissions limits and meeting their durability requirements.
It is important to remember that not all engines produced are the same. Some work better than others and they need to find a balance which meet the tolerance deltas on both sides of the curve.
This is also why a "one size fits all" tune is a bad idea.
Maybe your engine is on the +15% side of the curve, but it can just as likely be on the -15% side too, which is the entire reason for the manufacturer going with a lower power figure than may be strictly possible by the base design.

Rostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR 2018 2.2D
I remap my engine and get 230HP. DPF was deleted as this is a nightmare on diesel engine.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I remap my engine and get 230HP. DPF was deleted as this is a nightmare on diesel engine.
Some places I guess you can get away with that. Most countries in Europe, you would get caught during inspection and the fines and penalties are large. In Australia there is a min 12k fine for messing with the DFP. I think Germany you would lose your DL.
Honestly not sure why people bitch about DFP. To date, I have never met a person who had an issue or failure with it.
Sponsored