Opinions on Moving Forward

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
I'd ask for a meeting with the service manager and GM. Frankly, they are tired of this issue as well and want you to be on your way. Usually you do better with "What would you suggest?"

Mention "lawyer up" and it's probable work will come to a stop.
Being honest, firm, and polite will usually get your farther in life.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I would ask for a meeting with the general manager and the service manager. Then I would ask the general manager to solve the situation by finding a new comparable Jeep and giving fair market trade value for yours in the condition it was in before they tore it apart.

To be (somewhat) fair to the dealer, they have to jump through Stellantis' hoops. If they take it in trade, they can fix it quick on their own dime and then sell it, rather than having to fight corporate bean counters for warranty repairs.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Update(ish). Day 63.

First, thank you to all of the commenters for ideas, suggestions, and for playing along. I've tried to clarify where needed.

I'm trying to keep lawyers out of this, and so far I have. As a few commenters have pointed out, the case isn't clear-cut and I'd likely have to pay up-front. Not that I'm opposed to paying a professional, but that is certainly a nuclear option that changes the dynamic all around.

I went to the dealer this morning and my Jeep still hasn't moved. Service writer wasn't at his desk, and after a few minutes waiting, the service manager finally asked if I'd be helped. Told him why I was there and he started calling my service writer. While waiting, I confirmed he was the SM. Told him I'd like to walk out to my Jeep in the lot with him. He says yeah, but I have to finish up with these other two. We can do that after you finish with your service writer.

I see him walk around the corner and just BS with the other service writers, trying not to make eye contact with me. As I'm finishing with my service writer, SM slinks off into the service bays. I tell him I was expecting to walk out to the vehicle with SM, so he goes off to get him. I see them chatting for several minutes in the service bay before coming back to get me.

They follow me out to the parking lot and my Jeep. I point out the condition, and the fact it has been there for 9 weeks now, 7+ weeks in this condition. I get excuses about how parts are hard to get, blah, blah, blah. I tell him the storage like this seems negligent and he starts to argue with me about how this is normal and he's got 100 other cars in the lot just like it, waiting on parts. "We don't put things back together when we're waiting on parts. That's just not how it's done in the industry."

Showed him the open fuel system and he tells me that it isn't actually open. To do that "you'd have to remove the injectors completely." Right. Asks me if I'd like them to "put a bag over the engine" or something similar. I said it has been left like this for 7+ weeks, I don't think another day or two is going to make a difference, do you? Pointed out the scratched fender. Pointed out the broken plastic on the electrical tray and torn foam on the hood and he again argues with me that he doesn't see the damage, and even if it is, how could I prove it was done in his shop. He doesn't back down until I tell him the service writer took photos of the damage over a month ago when I pointed it out.

Told him I don't get any updates except by stopping in. If I'm told I'll get a call, it never comes. Each week I'm given a different line about how a part isn't in, or it was the wrong part, etc., etc. and it just gets old. Kind of threw my service writer under the bus, but he doesn't update me or even seem to have an interest in moving my Jeep to completion.

I am now assured that my Jeep will be going into the service bay this afternoon, after the tech finishes the truck he's currently on. They say assembly today and tomorrow, then to paint. Maybe next week. Not the first time I've heard any of it. All lies and bullshit until I have it back in my driveway, in the same condition it was in when I dropped it off, except with fewer oil leaks and electrical gremlins.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Moving Forward Wounded Jeep Week 9 - 4

Tape around the windows has certainly deteriorated. I'm thinking this will be leaving some residue.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Moving Forward Wounded Jeep Week 9 - 5

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Moving Forward Wounded Jeep Week 9 - 6

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Update(ish). Day 63.

First, thank you to all of the commenters for ideas, suggestions, and for playing along. I've tried to clarify where needed.

I'm trying to keep lawyers out of this, and so far I have. As a few commenters have pointed out, the case isn't clear-cut and I'd likely have to pay up-front. Not that I'm opposed to paying a professional, but that is certainly a nuclear option that changes the dynamic all around.

I went to the dealer this morning and my Jeep still hasn't moved. Service writer wasn't at his desk, and after a few minutes waiting, the service manager finally asked if I'd be helped. Told him why I was there and he started calling my service writer. While waiting, I confirmed he was the SM. Told him I'd like to walk out to my Jeep in the lot with him. He says yeah, but I have to finish up with these other two. We can do that after you finish with your service writer.

I see him walk around the corner and just BS with the other service writers, trying not to make eye contact with me. As I'm finishing with my service writer, SM slinks off into the service bays. I tell him I was expecting to walk out to the vehicle with SM, so he goes off to get him. I see them chatting for several minutes in the service bay before coming back to get me.

They follow me out to the parking lot and my Jeep. I point out the condition, and the fact it has been there for 9 weeks now, 7+ weeks in this condition. I get excuses about how parts are hard to get, blah, blah, blah. I tell him the storage like this seems negligent and he starts to argue with me about how this is normal and he's got 100 other cars in the lot just like it, waiting on parts. "We don't put things back together when we're waiting on parts. That's just not how it's done in the industry."

Showed him the open fuel system and he tells me that it isn't actually open. To do that "you'd have to remove the injectors completely." Right. Asks me if I'd like them to "put a bag over the engine" or something similar. I said it has been left like this for 7+ weeks, I don't think another day or two is going to make a difference, do you? Pointed out the scratched fender. Pointed out the broken plastic on the electrical tray and torn foam on the hood and he again argues with me that he doesn't see the damage, and even if it is, how could I prove it was done in his shop. He doesn't back down until I tell him the service writer took photos of the damage over a month ago when I pointed it out.

Told him I don't get any updates except by stopping in. If I'm told I'll get a call, it never comes. Each week I'm given a different line about how a part isn't in, or it was the wrong part, etc., etc. and it just gets old. Kind of threw my service writer under the bus, but he doesn't update me or even seem to have an interest in moving my Jeep to completion.

I am now assured that my Jeep will be going into the service bay this afternoon, after the tech finishes the truck he's currently on. They say assembly today and tomorrow, then to paint. Maybe next week. Not the first time I've heard any of it. All lies and bullshit until I have it back in my driveway, in the same condition it was in when I dropped it off, except with fewer oil leaks and electrical gremlins.

Tape around the windows has certainly deteriorated. I'm thinking this will be leaving some residue.

If you really don’t want lawyers and they still don’t fix it, tow it elsewhere. It’s worked for me in the past, sometimes it’s best to call it quits and get out of a shit situation.

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Don't ask for a meeting with service or dealer manager. Go into their office and wait. Explain how dealing with you saves them money. then day you get it back, slam Google review the place, file a BBB complaint today, etc. Then never go back there, sorry.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Looking for some advice from the community.

My Jeep has been at the dealer for service for 62 days as of today (Doug Smith in American Fork, UT). For almost all of that time, it has been parked in the side lot, windows down (plastic taped over them), doors unlocked, most of the main electrical system removed, EGR system removed, fueling system disassembled, grille wedged in place, and more. There are also new scratches on the front fender.

Every week I get either "waiting on a part," "got the wrong part," or "waiting on tech to finish other repairs." Sometimes a combination. The only updates I have gotten have been from me physically stopping in the service department and waiting around, pushing for anything. The @JeepCares case manager has only been able to get the same from them. But now I haven't heard from Jeep in 10 days either.

Jeep claims I am out of lemon-law protection, but even so, ordering replacement would cost 10-15% more, and many options are still not available.

Do I leave negative reviews (earned) of the dealer online with photos of how they've left my Jeep? Will that cause them to sit on my Jeep even longer? Do I wait it out and just hope I have a Jeep by New Years? Do I do more than a weekly stop by the dealership and civilly ask for updates?

Any advice, opinions, or personal experience will be appreciated.

I'd call the BBB Better Business Bureau in your area

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
The BBB is a paid for profit company that doesn't give a shit about what you report. Business can pay for bad reviews and issues to be removed.

lexvet

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Willys 2dr 6MT
I'd call your state attorney general's office. I had a similar situation w/ a 2018 Grand Cherokee. It was at the dealer's repair shop for 8 of the 12 months of 2019, the third and last visit they had it for 3 months and I just got a constant runaround from them. I finally called the Kentucky attorney general's office and I had a new vehicle in less than 3 days.
Sponsored