Offroading a brand new Rubicon

OP
OP

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Meh....pick whichever you like better. Both have their advantagesh/disadvantages.

If you want longer wheelbase, get the JK 4 dr. It doesn't sound like you're going to fab a TJ (non-LJ) to the point where it's on 1Tons and is stretched to 110" WB...so if you are okay with a 94-100" WB, the TJ probably makes more sense mainly b/c it's smaller and fits down tighter trails better than the 2 dr JK....but has that really annoying low hanging belly pan.

It all depends on your uses too....need to haul 4 adults....get the JKU. Like to climb BIG waterfalls, JKU. Run really tight trails, JK 2dr or TJ. Need more interior room, JK.

If you're planning more extreme trails, I'd stay away from the manual.....even though I much prefer standard transmissions, as much as it pains me to say it....they don't work as well for bigger obstacles or vehicles without stupid deep gear boxes (like over 100:1)
The parks around here seem to be a majority of tight trails with larger rocks/boulders that the underside can get hung up on. I was hoping to get a 2 door with D44 and 35-37" tires and put some protection on it and be ready to go. But I didn't want to go so extreme that I can't or don't want to drive it to the park. Heres some examples of Jeeps currently for sale around me:
This is a Sahara around me but that already has the D44 and rubi transfer case in it. It retains the 4.0 and 3 speed auto. Not sure about that 3 speed on the interstate though.
60711241_10104222276685860_6042691498510647296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fmem1-1.jpg

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/plano-2006-jeep-wrangler-rubicon/6885097240.html Pretty clean

https://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/d/olive-branch-2008-jeep-wrangler-rubicon/6886525340.html around the block from me stock JK
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Maybe get one of those clear 3M wraps for it? That would be cheaper than an entirely new jeep and protect your paint from scratches. And think about it like this...your new Jeep isn't worth $50K anymore from depreciation. LOL
Yeah driving it off the lot its become a $35K jeep and in 6 months when 2020's are around that's $25K.

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Haha. True more like 35k! I put a clear wrap on the hood, grill and windshield to keep rocks from breaking the windshield and paint. But it wouldn’t do much against a tree or rock.
I’ve gone through many windshields (rocks on the highway). Mind sharing what the wrap product is, how it gets installed, and how it’s working out?

Oh, by the way, wheel the Rubi. It’s a joy off-road even stock. I have lots of minor damage and get a number of positive comments because of it.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You guys obviously haven't priced used jeeps lately. Guys are buying them at a discount, driving them for a year and actually making money on them.
You are living in a fantasy world if you believe that; sales have slowed down as market is saturated and now major discounts are prevalent. FCA has overstock on the JLU's and it now seems Gladiator is not nearly as hot as expected.

10% under invoice is no problem; for some less desired options/colors I'm now seeing 15% off invoice start to become pretty normal.

No mass produced vehicle will ever appreciate except in very very rare circumstances.

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
My wife drives it a couple times a week. She’s 4’11” and I’m the medical field. Says if I turn it into a “redneck” Jeep she won’t drive it
Wife won't drive it? Win-win-win! Lol

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You are living in a fantasy world if you believe that; sales have slowed down as market is saturated and now major discounts are prevalent. FCA has overstock on the JLU's and it now seems Gladiator is not nearly as hot as expected.

10% under invoice is no problem; for some less desired options/colors I'm now seeing 15% off invoice start to become pretty normal.

No mass produced vehicle will ever appreciate except in very very rare circumstances.
Where are you seeing 10-15% below invoice? Do you mean MSRP? 15% under invoice would be 12-13k under sticker price.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Where are you seeing 10-15% below invoice? Do you mean MSRP? 15% under invoice would be 12-13k under sticker price.
Under INVOICE. All over MD/VA and area this is common. Prices are crashing.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Funny/Sad thing is the TJ has more $$$ then the cost of the new JL........ Which do I take on the trails...

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Hey guys,

I'm new to the offroading adventures but not to cars/ motor-sports in general. I have a 19 Rubicon 4 door that I have taken to 2 off road parks. This last weekend while on a level 3 (out of 5) I really felt I needed a lift and larger tires to maneuver over the rocks. Most guys had 4" lifts and 35-37 tires. There were several tight spots and close calls and I'm really shocked I didn't scratch up more stuff than I did.
I know I'm gona get the comments like "oh Jeeps are supposed to be scratched" and "That's what their used for".... But I'm seriously considering getting a 05-06 TJ rubicon or a 08-09 2 door Rubicon and save my 50k Jeep for cruising around and light fire roads.... I can pick one up for 10-15k with 35" tires and not have to cringe every time I get really close to sliding into a tree.

What I'm asking from the knowledgeable Jeep community out here is whats a better buy? I know the 3.8 is under powered but is it worth staying with a 10 year older TJ platform to get the 4.0?
TJ all day
Sponsored