Sponsored

Brand New Rubicon bumpy all of a sudden

frek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hi all,

I very recently purchased a brand new 2021 Rubicon 4-door. I have about 600km on it, so literally almost nothing. Yesterday, as I was exiting the highway and was taking a long right exit, maybe a tiny bit faster than usual (still within speed limit fgo), I started feeling the car shaking a tiny bit. Since then this bumpiness continued for the rest of my ride back home, and today all day I felt the same. It's not something extreme, but it's noticeable especially to me given I literally pay attention to any small detail at the moment (given I own the car literally 3 weeks). Now, I am very aware that I am not driving a sedan with the smoothest highway experience, however, it made me a bit paranoid since it started happening out of the blue, and prior to that the drive was extremely smooth. I checked tire pressures and all electronics and I see nothing different from before. I have a fear it might be coming from the engine or from the gears as it kinda feels like it but I might be just delusional at this point... Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there something further that I can check to make sure all is ok? I am actually thinking of going back to the dealership and having it checked, but I don't want to look like a complete paranoid who gets to check the car every 3 weeks...

Thank you kindly!
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hmmm, is it constant or only after hitting a little bump?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You may want to delete the other posting you have (duplicate) before it gets responded to.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
bumpy or vibration? Maybe lost a balancing weight on a tire, so it has become out of balance. It could be something loose on the suspension- didn't get torqued to spec?

OP
OP

frek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
bumpy or vibration? Maybe lost a balancing weight on a tire, so it has become out of balance. It could be something loose on the suspension- didn't get torqued to spec?

More bumpy that vibrating to be honest. It feels irregular, vibration would be more constant I reckon. I mean anything is possible, I bought it brand new from the dealer and the first 600km were smooth. It happened all of a sudden hence I am not sure if this is normal or actually something managed to loosen up so quickly...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you have an action camera like a GoPro or similar, you could video the suspected wheel and see what it's doing.

Otherwise, check the lug nuts then, if you have the ability, jack it and check each wheel for any "play" in the bearing, steering, suspension, etc by prying up under the tire to see if any top-bottom play is found, then the same for horizontal play by grabbing the tire and working back and forth. There should be no detectable play.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Which tires do you have? If you have the MT tires, yes they do feel the tiniest bit bumpy when you're driving, and once you've noticed it, you can't un-notice it.

Other than that, smooth, and then bumpy, especially feeling it through the steering wheel, is consistent with a wheel balancing weight falling off.

It's also possible for the tire to pick up a bit of debris, like a scrap of wood with a nail in it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Check your tire pressures. They should be no more than 2.48 bars/36 PSI. Often they are way over inflated on newly delivered Jeeps.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also, tires can get a blister in them and make them feel bumpy.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
To confirm, this only happens when rolling and the frequency of the bumpiness increases and speed increases?

OP
OP

frek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks all i think i'm gonna check tires first and foremost for any blisters/debris etc. It's very possible that they picked up something. Indeed the pressure was at 39 when i bought it, i lowered it to 36 though.

OP
OP

frek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
To confirm, this only happens when rolling and the frequency of the bumpiness increases and speed increases?
Actually, I feel it the same at any speed which is what surprised me. As soon as I start moving and, say going faster than a pedestrian, bumpiness starts!

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Actually, I feel it the same at any speed which is what surprised me. As soon as I start moving and, say going faster than a pedestrian, bumpiness starts!
And this just started all of a sudden? It sounds less like a wheel or tire problem if the frequency of bumpiness is constant regardless of tire speed.
Sponsored