Off-roading with a RTT

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Anyone have experience off-roading with a rooftop tent on more challenging trails?

Listing the type of rack and trail would be helpful. I'm running a deezee roof rack which clamps down on the roof rails and want to take my wife on some harder trails and camp. Wifey only wants to sleep above ground which means the rtt must come along as well.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm not sure what you want to know, but it will raise your COG and you can't tilt as much. It won't make you very prone to rollover but it will make you more prone. You'll need to dial back the off axis stuff a little bit. Pay very close attention to static and dynamic weight limits of the rack and do not exceed them. No cheating. The more head room you have under those limits the better, especially on rougher trails.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I am running Exposed Racks (super similar to the Deeee) and have some difficult trails. But everyone's definition of difficult is different. I've done trails rated 5-6 with my RTT on. Weight is 147 lb for it.

OP
OP
Firecracker JL

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just looking for some experience so I know what to do and what not to do. I am looking to do the Rubicon this year but want to see if anyone has recommendations.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just looking for some experience so I know what to do and what not to do. I am looking to do the Rubicon this year but want to see if anyone has recommendations.
I talked with our guide for the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail Expedition trip about it and he said that it shouldn't be an issue. Note that this is the more extreme flavor of the 3-day run.

Ours will be a little worse than normal since we'll (eventually) have a SOT top, so it's higher than most. https://adventureracksystems.com/jl-wrangler-4door-pro-rack-system-sky-top-edition.html

Sponsored

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Have the same set up. DeeZee rack and 90ish lb RTT. Used more than x20 all around Southern California trails this year. Wouldn't take it on anything more than my definition of moderate. Lots of noise up there for sure. Always a more cautious run being so top heavy and gutter mounted. Checked the rack countless times after larger rocking obstacles due to noise and not trusting the rail mounts. But never a crack, loose bolt, or sign of failure.
I'm sure no rack/brackets are truly meant for harder trails, but feel this current set up is just adequate enough for moderate trails (as opposed to a drilled and frame supported rack/RTT).
Happy camping wife happy life. Got the same dilemma.

OP
OP
Firecracker JL

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies, this makes me more comfortable taking the rtt on rougher trails.

OP
OP
Firecracker JL

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have the same set up. DeeZee rack and 90ish lb RTT. Used more than x20 all around Southern California trails this year. Wouldn't take it on anything more than my definition of moderate. Lots of noise up there for sure. Always a more cautious run being so top heavy and gutter mounted. Checked the rack countless times after larger rocking obstacles due to noise and not trusting the rail mounts. But never a crack, loose bolt, or sign of failure.
I'm sure no rack/brackets are truly meant for harder trails, but feel this current set up is just adequate enough for moderate trails (as opposed to a drilled and frame supported rack/RTT).
Happy camping wife happy life. Got the same dilemma.
Kris, I'm from socal too and it's nice knowing you are running the same setup and probably the same trails I'll be hitting around here.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Do you already have a rack and RTT?

The key is to get the tent as close to the roof as possible and go with the lightest tent you are comfortable in.

Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer platform with the short legs is a nice mounting platform. The backbone adds some rigidity inside the hardtop and the Pioneer platform sits real low to the roof, plus with the flat deck you can use it to easily haul all kinds of things when you have the tent off.

JL Backbone & Pioneer package:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...oneer-platform-w-rcl-legs-72-x-56-unassembled

Here is one of the JKs in our fleet. This has the RR Backbone, Pioneer Platform and that is a James Baroud tent. Unfortunately we don't carry the JB tents anymore. They were low profile, comfortable and decently lightweight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a RTT Banner-with-Barroud

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Here is a pic of the Freedom Recovery Gear JL with the RR Backbone and Pioneer Platform package on it that he got from us.

He wheels the heck out of that rig and isn't afraid to get it on the tougher trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a RTT FRG-Mojito-RTT

Sponsored

OP
OP
Firecracker JL

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, already have the rtt, tuff stuff. With the deezee rack. It's fairly low profile, not sure if it's as low as the backbone. I'll wheel on some lighter trails and if I it's too top heavy, then I may go to a low profile rtt.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Here is ours with a rhino rack backbone and pioneer platform with a tepui autana 3 mounted to it. If we are going to be doing anything to crazy we leave the tent off and just ground tent it. Broken arrow trail in Sedona.
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a RTT PXL_20220522_200452834
Sponsored