Sponsored

Off-road recommendations for a beginner in SoCal?

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Hey I live out here in the Desert area let me know when you come out I will tag along. I have free time most weekends and hit up trails when I can.

Joe
Let me know when you all go out. We can have a JL trip.
Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Just tried a new trail up in Arrowhead. Easy trail, only need 4L in a couple spots.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up the new JL Rubi, guys at the Jeep dealer recommended Indian truck trail to get the off road legs... I am in Fallbrook, north county San Diego area. Have also been told to go out towards Julian. Any other beginner recommendations.

How do you actually find the entrance to some of the trails, are there signs and easy to find or do I need to use GPS and load waypoints?

Any advice is welcome.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
How do you actually find the entrance to some of the trails, are there signs and easy to find or do I need to use GPS and load waypoints?

Any advice is welcome.
Depends on which trail, but generally it's best to find the actual entrance point to navigate to. I usually load up Google Maps from a PC and do the following. I'm using Forest Route 7N23 as an example; it's a route that used to be an alternate path to Liebre Mountain, but the connecting gate has been closed for some time.

1) Left-click exactly where the entrance is. This will pin a new location marker (grey circle in middle) and a small box will pop up on the bottom of the map showing coordinates and a street name if available.

2) Click on the coordinates in the pop-up box. This should bring up some options in the box to the left.

3) Hit "Save" and choose whatever option you want.

Now when you open up Google Maps on your phone, you should have a little icon that you can select to navigate to. You can also find it in the Your Places > Saved list in the app.

Note that these instructions will change over time (as they have a bunch of times in the past) as Google rolls out new versions of its maps. Kind of a pain to relearn each time but can usually figure it out again with a minute or so of confused clicking. The most annoying recent change is trying to delete saved locations. You gotta go to the list of your places, hit edit, then delete.

Sorry if that was way overly-detailed. Be safe out there! :)

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks... anyone have any GPS coordinates/trail locations around the area? Beginner level to start.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

im down to go on a group trip. check out Jeepruns.com i dont know if you have to have purchased your jeep at HB Jeep but they run that little forum and set up day trips for customers. everything from beginner to advanced. they had one last weekend. next one is Aug 5, up at the 138/15. they have group guides to take all the noobs through. ill be going to that one for sure.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
im down to go on a group trip. check out Jeepruns.com i dont know if you have to have purchased your jeep at HB Jeep but they run that little forum and set up day trips for customers. everything from beginner to advanced. they had one last weekend. next one is Aug 5, up at the 138/15. they have group guides to take all the noobs through. ill be going to that one for sure.
Hey there... bought my Jeep there and had no idea they had this. It appears that anyone can join and ride with them. No exclusion as to where you bought your Jeep.

LQdesertJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Another new JL owner here in SoCal...(near Palm Springs)... I have done a couple trail runs in the area in my previous truck (2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x), and suggest you all check out the site “TRAILSOFFROAD”...it’s free to sign up for the basic access, and it gives you the ability to search nationwide for trails by difficulty, and type (out n back, loop, etc...). The site has reviews / pics from other members as a guide, and also explains their trail rating system. If needed, the site also has maps and gps coordinates for trail head/ end, and places of interest along the trail. My son and I have used this site for info on trails such as Rattlesnake Cyn (Lucerne Valley to Big Bear), Burns cyn (Yucca Valley to Big Bear), and Berdoo Cyn (Coachella Valley to Joshua Tree), and we found the info from this site very accurate as to what to expect on the trail... another similar site/app is “Alltrails”

Good to see some other newB’s in the area, and hope to meet up some day...

Last edited:

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Depends on which trail, but generally it's best to find the actual entrance point to navigate to. I usually load up Google Maps from a PC and do the following. I'm using Forest Route 7N23 as an example; it's a route that used to be an alternate path to Liebre Mountain, but the connecting gate has been closed for some time.

1) Left-click exactly where the entrance is. This will pin a new location marker (grey circle in middle) and a small box will pop up on the bottom of the map showing coordinates and a street name if available.

2) Click on the coordinates in the pop-up box. This should bring up some options in the box to the left.

3) Hit "Save" and choose whatever option you want.

Now when you open up Google Maps on your phone, you should have a little icon that you can select to navigate to. You can also find it in the Your Places > Saved list in the app.

Note that these instructions will change over time (as they have a bunch of times in the past) as Google rolls out new versions of its maps. Kind of a pain to relearn each time but can usually figure it out again with a minute or so of confused clicking. The most annoying recent change is trying to delete saved locations. You gotta go to the list of your places, hit edit, then delete.

Sorry if that was way overly-detailed. Be safe out there! :)
Just tried this - didn't know you could do this. Works great! Pull right up on your device. Thanks.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Hey there... bought my Jeep there and had no idea they had this. It appears that anyone can join and ride with them. No exclusion as to where you bought your Jeep.
when did you buy? i just got the email to sign up for it the other day. my salesman had told me about it and another guy said i would get an email. after a month of no emails i was going to call them to inquire and then i got an email from them. it came in the guise of a sales pitch for their performance shop and that if i havent made a first payment yet, i can still get upgrades done and they can work it into the financing. and then discussed the link to the owners guided outings.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

my buddy who goes out in his TJ said he often goes to a trail in Azusa? ill have to ask him more about it

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
when did you buy? i just got the email to sign up for it the other day. my salesman had told me about it and another guy said i would get an email. after a month of no emails i was going to call them to inquire and then i got an email from them. it came in the guise of a sales pitch for their performance shop and that if i havent made a first payment yet, i can still get upgrades done and they can work it into the financing. and then discussed the link to the owners guided outings.
Last week of April

Equinox

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just picked up the new JL Rubi, guys at the Jeep dealer recommended Indian truck trail to get the off road legs... I am in Fallbrook, north county San Diego area. Have also been told to go out towards Julian. Any other beginner recommendations.

Any advice is welcome.
New JLUR owner here as well. I am down in Rancho Bernardo. Just went on Black Mountain Truck Trail this morning with the kids. It is just north of Ramona. Was a blast! Easy trail for beginners (like me)

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
New JLUR owner here as well. I am down in Rancho Bernardo. Just went on Black Mountain Truck Trail this morning with the kids. It is just north of Ramona. Was a blast! Easy trail for beginners (like me)
Thanks...
Sponsored