Sponsored

Off-road recommendations for a beginner in SoCal?

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
There are so may places to go and we've been to dozens - Anza-Borrego, the Death Valley Area, over to southern Navada and into AZ. Mojave is a favorite of mine, up to the southern Sierra's etc etc. You should be able to find some easy options close by for you to get the feel of things.
I recommend checking these books to start with, they're a great resource and we've driven many of the trails in them.

In LA myself and heading back out there as soon as our Rubicon JLU arrives...
Sponsored

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
There are so may places to go and we've been to dozens - Anza-Borrego, the Death Valley Area, over to southern Navada and into AZ. Mojave is a favorite of mine, up to the southern Sierra's etc etc. You should be able to find some easy options close by for you to get the feel of things.
I recommend checking these books to start with, they're a great resource and we've driven many of the trails in them.

In LA myself and heading back out there as soon as our Rubicon JLU arrives...
I second this! My favorite trails are in Death Valley and the Eastern Sierra, the majority of which can be handled in a stock Wrangler with some patience and skilled driving. It's a great region to pop your cherry, earn some stripes, and get a feel for what types of mods you may or may not need/want for future wheeling.

My favorites:
1. Laurel Lakes Road, Mammoth
2. Steel Pass, DeathValley
3. Lippincott Road, Death Valley

Happy Trails!

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
@Lustmord Yes, you can connect to Saline Valley through Steel Pass Road. My preferred route is to hit Eureka Dunes from Big Pine and then drop down to Warm Springs via Steel Pass. From Warm Springs you can connect to Saline Valley road and head north to loop back to Big Pine or head south to exit via South Pass. The only real wheeling is on the Steel Pass section, the rest is 4-Hi at most unless there is snow on the trails

Last edited:

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
We live in LA but also have a desert house a few miles from Johnson Valley so we try to get out there as often as possible. We've had a few solo off-road adventures since I got my JLU in April but would love to do something with other Jeeps in the area. We did Burns Canyon last weekend, fun but stupid to do alone with no recovery gear and little experience. Ordered some recovery gear for our next trip out in 2 weeks, will have to check out some of the trail suggestions in this thread. I'd like to get aux lights on the front so we can have some fun at night too.

Sponsored

jg1986

First Name
jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
We live in LA but also have a desert house a few miles from Johnson Valley so we try to get out there as often as possible. We've had a few solo off-road adventures since I got my JLU in April but would love to do something with other Jeeps in the area. We did Burns Canyon last weekend, fun but stupid to do alone with no recovery gear and little experience. Ordered some recovery gear for our next trip out in 2 weeks, will have to check out some of the trail suggestions in this thread. I'd like to get aux lights on the front so we can have some fun at night too.
Hi, I'm Jesse and new too.
We should connect, I am looking to do Palomar Mountain soon, as well as other not to tough stuff. Burns canyon would be fun, let me know when you do it again, if you would like some company!

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I tagged along last weekend doing a trail clean up with a local jeep club. We hit Rowher trail. Pretty challenging without lockers but had a good spotter. Never needed a pull but not a easy trail.

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
Hi, I'm Jesse and new too.
We should connect, I am looking to do Palomar Mountain soon, as well as other not to tough stuff. Burns canyon would be fun, let me know when you do it again, if you would like some company!
Hey Jesse - sorry I don't have notifications turned on & just saw this but yes that would be great. Not sure how to DM on here?

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hi,

Just got back into my third wrangler, JLU Rubicon and wondered about anything of Ortega highway that I could introduce my wife to this coming weekend?

Thanks

Sponsored

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Hi,

Just got back into my third wrangler, JLU Rubicon and wondered about anything of Ortega highway that I could introduce my wife to this coming weekend?

Thanks
Both sides of Ortega are closed due to fires.
I checked with rangers just a few weeks ago when I went through,...
They're waiting for more regrowth to the areas since winter is coming and they are concerned about mud slides trapping folks in the back country, .....so I'm told

FWIW, I'm up for any of the spots mentioned, easy to fairly difficult trails, don't care, not trying to score points or sponsorships, would like to get out and not wheel alone.
I'm in SoCal as well, hit me up fellas, my new shocks "allegedly" arrive in a few days, so lift will be finished.
:like:

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Hi,

Thanks

Have you done the easy trails above Lake Hemet, mostly a scenic loop, but worth a drive nonetheless.
You can take Rouse ridge I believe it's called, 5S15, link it with 5S16 and make it a 30 mile loop.
I did it solo and it's super easy and plenty of good scenery.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...0b2b543a89f63!8m2!3d33.6500243!4d-116.7377972

There are others as well.

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL