First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
There are similar threads on this but nothing I see as specific to my question. Does anyone use eTrex or a Montana, etc for off road GPS? I see these on dual sport bikes all the time and was just wondering if they show off road better than a "car" GPS.
Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I think some might use those, they are pretty easy to upload maps and .GPX files to for trails etc., but in my opinion it might be kind of like navigating via postage stamp. I have a BMW Navigator on my GS 1200, but it is extremely difficult to upload maps and GPX files to, and side by side with another BMW Navigator, the routing is different with the same files uploaded to both units.

There are loads of options for GPS, you could even use an old smartphone or tablet to give you the information that you want.

OP
OP
cabnfvr

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I use the eTrex for a back-up navigation device. Not only do you have to buy the maps, but the screen is very small. It has saved me several times when my phone was out of cell range. I have just upgraded to an iPad mini with a garmin GLO GPS receiver for my navigation device. Much better with the larger screen on the iPad mini.

Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
I use good old fashion USGS 7.5 Min maps. I take along a handheld Garmin 60 that I have preloaded waypoints at key areas / landmarks / road intersections that I will be traveling by... I also use the Avenza Maps app on my IPhone. All for free. Anything that the JL has on it already will be bonus. I have no intentions on subscribing to any service or buying maps.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
1)Does the 2018 UConnect Nav system generate bread crumb trails? If so, can they then be stored and/or saved to a USB memory stick?
2) Can GPX trails be loaded into the Nav system?
If not, I guess I will have to bring my Garmin GPS unit...why would Jeep inhibit off-road travel that way? A world-class off-road vehicle with obsolete GPS electronics! Hint...to the other car companies contemplating building a Wrangler opponent...check on what Jeep owners are taking with on their overlanding trips.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’ve never really had any issues with my Garmin Nuvi’s when off road, but then I’ve might have been fortunate that the trails/roads I was traveling on were already recorded. I’ve also have many Topo maps installed on my unit. I stumbled on a write up many years ago about how to get free Topo Maps and install them on your Garmin unit. When I have a chance I’ll repost the write up I did on jkowners.com about how to do Free Topographical Maps for Garmin GPS units.

Something that I’ve been seeing a little more is the usage of iPads or other tablets with a mapping program and a GPS receiver from Blue Ant or Dual Electronics.

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
I use a Magellan TRX7 off road GPS ordered a different RAM mount piece to put it on the passenger side since my spouse is my navigator. I'll post a pic of where I used it last weekend.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I use a Magellan TRX7 off road GPS ordered a different RAM mount piece to put it on the passenger side since my spouse is my navigator. I'll post a pic of where I used it last weekend.
Looking forward to the pic! I'm figuring out where I'll mount mine.

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
OP
OP
cabnfvr

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Looking forward to the pic! I'm figuring out where I'll mount mine.
Since my first post I've gotten used to CarPlay, but I also mounted a 5" GPS above the mirror with GoPro mounts stuck to the plastic panel above the mirror and another GoPro mount stuck onto the GPS itself. The GPS is a Garmin DriveSmart 50 selected for the Voice Command feature. I have that on another GPS and like not having to type on the touch screen. Power comes from the Homelink wires in the rollbar. I'm at work or I'd post pics. I'll try to do that this weekend.

I like the location. CarPlay is great but there are places (few, but places) where the map goes blank with No Service. I've read where that won't happen but it will. And I've also read where you need to download the maps in advance. I have no idea how to do that on an iPhone. No map is no problem around home but in the middle of nowhere I prefer a true GPS unit and when that fails a paper topo map!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cabnfvr

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
OK, after much research I installed a Garmin Smartdrive 50 with Voice Command. (Not to be confused with Voice recognition. You have to speak commands the GPS already knows. Still, it's pretty hands free once you get the hang of it.) I liked the Magellan TR5 on paper but the reviews were consistently bad. I also like CarPlay thru the radio but we lost the maps as soon as we enter a "No Service" area. That's not anything I want to rely on. The Garmin is mounted between the visors using GoPro short and long mounts back to back, one on the trim and the other on the GPS itself. Power is from the Home-link plug behind the roll bar trim above the drivers left shoulder. Here's what it looks like.

Out of the way but easy to see.
00JrUXHbnEFkDkL57z2R6pFamfdTT4SBwtATok36iOz-wYY62FD8fHDg1ohLhUsPSYscu_95bo2Kc3pABMs=w800-h600-no.jpg

Mounted with GoPro mounts.
ffcPtIMbjaKb1WDwam4r2apK1gfbZ4S3snHOBEsHk01pNGYPf0R_tADUQsso_YitVfsAZcRnHaEYzNsdxEE=w800-h600-no.jpg

p.s. The extra GoPro mount really is for the GoPro.
Sponsored